Another Softimage to Mitsuba exporter

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Mitsuba ExporterAuthor: Shekn @si-community
v0.7.2 updated Apr 4th 2015. This plugin is called Mitsuba and Softimage synchronizer (shortly MaSs). I start to develop it for understanding how the Mitsuba renderer works. So, some tool for export scenes needed. Of course, there are some other exporters from Softimage to Mitsuba. One of them here. I try to understand how it works, but then decide to create my one exporter with Python and GUI.

The latest update includes the abilty to render volumes. For that purpose, the package includes ICE compounds that create 3D-grids which can be manipulated further in ICE, exported with the 'Store VOL' compound, then rendered using Mitsuba. Supports rendering of OpenVDB volumes through Oleg Bliznuk's OpenVDB ICE package. More in the si-community thread.

Slava Shumikhin made a fork of an older version of Shekn's plugin available here on github.

local backup: MaSs plugin 0.7.2 package.zip Mitsuba 0.5.0 x64 Win.zip (compatible version of Mitsuba)

Angel 07

Re: Another Softimage to Mitsuba exporter

Post by Angel 07 » 01 Mar 2015, 16:51

Next version MaSs 0.7

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... ackage.zip
References for new ICE Nodes: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... rences.pdf

As in previous version of the plugin, PyQtForSoftimage is required. All necessary packages are in the archive. Process of the installation is the same. You should change the path to Mitsuba folder in the file MaSsPlugin.py.

Two videos:

1. Create point cloud and render it in Mitsuba

2. By using the plugin OpenVDB we load vdb-data and render it in Mitsuba. Link to this plugin: http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =27&t=4707

One remark about generation of vol-files during the export. Bug of the render is that if it renders some vol-object, the file becomes locked, and we should close the host application (Softimage, for example) to unlock it. So we can not just rewrite it, we should generate new vol-file each time. And if point cloud contains a lot of points, then the file is large, and the size of the project folder can grow quickly. Therefore, after generating this file, and further customize the rendering, you should switch off the parameter "Should render volume" in the options. Then the render use the old vol-file.

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB
Attachments
ImportVDB.jpg
SimplePC.jpg

nDman

Post by nDman » 02 Mar 2015, 04:13

Is this compatible with SI2013? I get this errors:

Code: Select all

# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 2, in <module>
#     import sip
# ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
#  - [line 2 in C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\pyqt_example.py]
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 1, in <module>
#     from PyQt4.QtCore import Qt
# ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
#  - [line 1 in C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\qtevents.py]

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 02 Mar 2015, 04:35

This is error of PyQtForSoftimage plugin. Check, is you install all necessary items. You should:

1. Copy PyQt folder to \python\Lib\site-packages folder of Softimage installed folder
2. Install PyQtForSoftimage as xsiaddon.

The complete guide about installation in the video in one of the previous post.

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 02 Mar 2015, 07:58

Also, as written here: https://github.com/caron/PyQtForSoftimage Plugin PyQtForSoftimage works correctly with Python 2.7. Build-in version of Python on Softimage 2013 is 2.6.4. May be this is the reason of the error. But anyway, it is possible to use external Python distributive, but it needs additional tweaks for installation.

nDman

Post by nDman » 01 Apr 2015, 16:07

Ok, i did second try to install it. PyQt installed perfectly and it works well (On SI-2013). But now there is a problem at export mesh for render!

Code: Select all

#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 1944, in MaSs_Render_OnClicked
#     ActOneFrame(int(frame))
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 1948, in ActOneFrame
#     scenePath = ExportXML(f, oProp)
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 2046, in ExportXML
#     oProp.Parameters("clamping").Value, oProp.Parameters("useColorAttribute").Value, frameNumber, oProp.Parameters("lastTime").Value))
#   File "C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\MaSs\Application\Plugins\MaSsXML.py", line 234, in GenerateXMLScene
#     root.append(GenerateMeshSegment(mesh, shouldExport, exportPath, exportType))
#   File "C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\MaSs\Application\Plugins\MaSsXML.py", line 2854, in GenerateMeshSegment
#     MeshShouldExport(mesh, exportPath, exportType)
#   File "C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\MaSs\Application\Plugins\MaSsXML.py", line 2734, in MeshShouldExport
#     ap.ExportPly(True, mesh, exportPath, mesh.FullName + ".ply")
#   File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 516, in __getattr__
#     raise AttributeError("%s.%s" % (self._username_, attr))
# AttributeError: <unknown>.ExportPly
#  - [line 2045 in C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\MaSs\Application\Plugins\MaSsPlugin.py]
# ERROR : Property Page Script Logic Error (Python ActiveX Scripting Engine)
# ERROR :    [2043] oProp.Parameters("maxPasses").Value, oProp.Parameters("bidirectional").Value, oProp.Parameters("luminanceSamples").Value, oProp.Parameters("twoStage").Value, oProp.Parameters("pLarge").Value,
# ERROR :    [2044] oProp.Parameters("bidirectionalMutation").Value, oProp.Parameters("lensPerturbation").Value, oProp.Parameters("multiChainPerturbation").Value, oProp.Parameters("causticPerturbation").Value, oProp.Parameters("manifoldPerturbation").Value, oProp.Parameters("lambda").Value,
# ERROR :   >[2045] oProp.Parameters("numChains").Value, oProp.Parameters("maxChains").Value, oProp.Parameters("chainLength").Value, oProp.Parameters("bruteForce").Value, oProp.Parameters("granularityP").Value, oProp.Parameters("shadowMapResolution").Value,
# ERROR :    [2046] oProp.Parameters("clamping").Value, oProp.Parameters("useColorAttribute").Value, frameNumber, oProp.Parameters("lastTime").Value))
# ERROR :    [2047] 	file.close()
# ERROR :    [2048] 
# ERROR : 	Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 1944, in MaSs_Render_OnClicked
#     ActOneFrame(int(frame))
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 1948, in ActOneFrame
#     scenePath = ExportXML(f, oProp)
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 2046, in ExportXML
#     oProp.Parameters("clamping").Value, oProp.Parameters("useColorAttribute").Value, frameNumber, oProp.Parameters("lastTime").Value))
#   File "C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\MaSs\Application\Plugins\MaSsXML.py", line 234, in GenerateXMLScene
#     root.append(GenerateMeshSegment(mesh, shouldExport, exportPath, exportType))
#   File "C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\MaSs\Application\Plugins\MaSsXML.py", line 2854, in GenerateMeshSegment
#     MeshShouldExport(mesh, exportPath, exportType)
#   File "C:\Users\Saeed\Autodesk\Softimage_2013_SP1\Addons\MaSs\Application\Plugins\MaSsXML.py", line 2734, in MeshShouldExport
#     ap.ExportPly(True, mesh, exportPath, mesh.FullName + ".ply")
#   File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 516, in __getattr__
#     raise AttributeError("%s.%s" % (self._username_, attr))
# AttributeError: <unknown>.ExportPly
# 

It seems export dll file compiled for higher version.
si.png
si.png (7.93 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 04 Apr 2015, 15:38

This version should work: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... 2.xsiaddon

There are some errors and XSI crushes (because of some differences in API), when I tried to use the plugin in SI 2013. But this version works correctly.

nDman

Post by nDman » 05 Apr 2015, 15:52

Angel 07 wrote:This version should work: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... 2.xsiaddon

There are some errors and XSI crushes (because of some differences in API), when I tried to use the plugin in SI 2013. But this version works correctly.
Cool, thanks for this. It works partially. It exports correctly and i can open and render the scene file by Mitsuba GUI program.
But inside SI it won't render and it stays in Rendering... state.

Sorry, i just reporting problems. If it's time consuming to make it work on SI-2013, forget about it ;) I will use Mitsuba GUI to render :)
s1.png

Angel 07

Post by Angel 07 » 09 Apr 2015, 16:24

I did some tests, and it seems that the problem in external Python. I have Python 2.7 in my system, and when I tried to use it in SI2013 some errors appear during the export process. But with built-in SI2013 Python export works perfect. When I tried to use Python from SI2015 as external Python for SI2013 all works correct. So, you can try to use the Python distributive from this link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114 ... SI2015.zip

This is not default Python folder from SI2015, but additionally it contains only PyQt4 and Gear modules.