Classical texture blending with CAV

gaboraa

Classical texture blending with CAV

Post by gaboraa » 20 Jun 2014, 22:55

Hi all,

One of my Maya user friend ask me if it was possible to assign textures only using CAV map's RGBA channels in Softimage and told me that Maya doesn't give control at per vertex level in shading networks so I create a simple one in Softimage. I hope it would be helpful who is in game development and want to see real-time response while painting.

Draise

Re: Classical texture blending with CAV

Post by Draise » 21 Jun 2014, 21:38

Handy! Thanks for sharing.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 13 Jun 2018, 02:43

@Gaboraa could you please post applied examples for this? (Fortnite shading comes to mind)

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 14 Jun 2018, 17:32

Actually, it has nothing to do with any type of shading instead, it is more like a terrain material with 3 texture to paint on top of one base texture. Let's say you have a big terrain mesh and you want to paint grass texture on a soil texture and also want to paint rocks on top of both, you can do it easily with the above setup interactively without depending on external texture masks. In this example, you can use vertex color -RGB channels- as masks and mask out the influence of each texture to blend them onto the base soil texture. But you can do this easily in any type of game engine today so it is almost obsolete but of course, you can use it for your renders.