Mia Material Advanced phenomena

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

MIA Material AdvancedAuthor: Felix Geremus
(Updated Mar 2012) Mia_Material_Advanced is a shader phenomena which should solve most of your issues with the standard Softimage implementation of the Architectural Material, facilitate working with channels, plus add few additional nice features. Since I've spend quite some time investigating the whole topic, I thought it might be a good idea to describe the whole process on why I ended up writing my own spdl for the shader. [..]

Follow download link to continue reading. Video. Testimonials from the si-community thread:
Wow, thanks! This is great. I use it a lot and this looks like a great improvement. Thanks for sharing! —ActionART
Thanks alot. This solves some major headaches I had with mia in the past. Especially the highlight problem. —elhemp

local backup: Mia_Material_Advanced.xsiaddon

Mossman

Mia Material Advanced phenomena

Post by Mossman » 04 Nov 2011, 00:42

Hey everybody!

I wanted to share with you my modified version of the Mia Material. Since I had lots of problems with the standard implementation of the architectural material I decided to make my own version some time ago. I changed some interface flaws, included some utilities like the excellent RRaytype shader by Reinhard Claus directly into the interface, and optimized working with channels.

A much more detailed description on why and what I did with the shader, as well as a short video can be found on my blog.

This shader has really become my standard solution for all materials for quite some time now, and solved a lot of the common problems with the Mia Material I often hear from other people on the various forums. So I hope it will become as useful to some of you as it is to me, enjoy!

Download

ActionArt

Re: Mia Material Advanced phenomena

Post by ActionArt » 04 Nov 2011, 16:09

Wow, thanks! This is great. I use it a lot and this looks like a great improvement. Thanks for sharing!

elhemp

Post by elhemp » 07 Nov 2011, 17:49

Thanks alot. This solves some major headaches I had with mia in the past. Especially the highlight problem.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 08 Nov 2011, 15:13

Thanks for sharing! Great work!!

best,
oliver

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 19 Jan 2012, 13:34

thx for the shader!

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 19 Jan 2012, 17:47

Thanks for the shader Mossman.

Too bad I can't use it at this time as it is only x64 and I'm still on 32 bit system, but this will proove useful when I finally jump ship.

Keep up the good work!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Mossman

Post by Mossman » 30 Jan 2012, 01:01

I've uploaded a new Version which fixes a small bug where shadows lost their transparency and color when using the rayswitch.

@Daniel: in theory the only thing you need are the 32bit dll's for the mia material wrapper and the rraytype shader. You can download the rraytype shader over at rray.de, the wrapper is unfortunately not so easy. All the download links on xsibase are offline and I don't have a local backup anymore. Maybe somebody else has got a backup?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 03 Mar 2012, 23:01

Hello, first of all thanks a lot for this shader, its really usefull.
I've found a little bug, it doesnt take into account photons, so you cant use GI. IF you connect the wrapper to the photon port and use a spotlight activating Global Illumination shooting photons you get the error no photon stored after emission. If you swap to normal architectural it works.
I think something is missing regarding photons when you compiled the shader. Can always use a normal architectural in conjunction with the advanced and use it only on photon channel if you have to use GI. still it would be nice to have it fixed :)

Thanks again, Max

Mossman

Post by Mossman » 12 Mar 2012, 14:31

Your're right, it doesn't work. To be honest, I haven't used photons in ages, so i didn't notice. I will try to fix it as soon as possible..

Mossman

Post by Mossman » 12 Mar 2012, 16:51

I've uploaded a new version, it should work now.
Attachments
miaadvanced_caustics.jpg

JPWestmas

Post by JPWestmas » 12 Mar 2012, 17:13

Whoah, cool! Thanks Laughing Man ;)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 27 Mar 2012, 13:11

many thanks, its workin now!