Texture Instancing Compound

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Texture instancing Shader V1.5Author: Reinhard Claus
Updated April 2013 with the ability to fetch the texture offset from an ICE attribute. Previous update added texturable scale X/Y.

The basic function of this shader is to stamp an instance of the selected texture at each particle location on the shaded object.

The shader requires an ICE particle cloud as a texture placing source which has to have its material shared with the object. It has features such as: Modify texture base scaling and rotation, various lookup options for fractal-like patterns, random position offset in texture, rotation by ICE particle vector attribute, random rotation, orient towards a vector or a tangent map. Mental ray only. See the si-community thread for some interesting looking renders created by Rob Chapman.

Mad props to Paul Smith aka pooby for inventing this wonderful method. If you haven't already, check his videos page for loads of ICE inspiration. Btw Paul's first video introducing the method is here. Btw #2: Since, he's created two videos demonstrating this shader: Texture Instancing Shader and Lizard texinstancing.

local backup: Texture Instancing.1.5.xsirtcompound

Pancho

Re: Texture Instancing Compound

Post by Pancho » 06 Jun 2013, 18:51

How do you create a "shared Material"?. I just assign the same texture once to the cloud and once to the mesh. On reload the information transfer seems to be broken and the preview doesn't look right. So, how do I do this correctly?

Cheers

P.S.: I use the instancer on a very large mesh. What is strange is that the bump map (also instanced) displaces the color texture. So you don't get only the bump illusion, but also a distoreted texture. Bump map value is about 100 in the bump map node. Is there a way to avoid this?

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 07 Jun 2013, 20:31

O.k., after some initial errors I get it to work. What still bothers me is that the bump map screws up the color map. Is there anything one can do about it?

The color map seems to be displaced so it ends up grainy, like sand. The inital map is not any more recognizable. The bump amount mini- or maximizes this effect. This should definitely not happen.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

rray

Post by rray » 09 Jun 2013, 18:26

I'm lost. Are you using a bump map setup like Paul does in his tex instancer videos or a different one? Best would probably if I had the scene to look at.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024