Bend UV Based on Bump Map ?

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Falam

Bend UV Based on Bump Map ?

Post by Falam » 18 Dec 2013, 18:07

I'm in need of a way to bend UV texture based on a bump map using factory nodes ?

NNois

Re: Bend UV Based on Bump Map ?

Post by NNois » 18 Dec 2013, 20:41

hi,
Please provide references or material to describe clearly what you want, thanks. If not we all loose our time here

Falam

Post by Falam » 18 Dec 2013, 23:49

NNois wrote:hi,
Please provide references or material to describe clearly what you want, thanks. If not we all loose our time here
Whoa ! Loose everyone time, the last question I asked you decided to halt helping. Now your making it as though it's my fault ! haha !

I help someone because I want to, not to make noise in a thread.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Dec 2013, 00:10

Both of you: relax!
Don't let this get out of hand.

NNois has a point though,
more info seems needed...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

rray

Post by rray » 19 Dec 2013, 00:14

That's probably the parallax mapping effect. I used to think this would be simple to recreate in the render tree, but then found out it isn't that simple .. IIRC, the tricky part was finding the right matching vector in the UVs from a vector on the mesh.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Falam

Post by Falam » 19 Dec 2013, 00:28

Parallax effect is exactly what I need, urgently. I tried to create one using softimage factory nodes, I was unsuccessful :(

RRay could figure out what I needed, to most others I speak Klingon, or rather maybe they only understand Klingon.

rray

Post by rray » 19 Dec 2013, 00:48

Falam wrote:Parallax effect is exactly what I need, urgently. I tried to create one using softimage factory nodes, I was unsuccessful :(

RRay could figure out what I needed, to most others I speak Klingon, or rather maybe they only understand Klingon.
in the end it doesn't make much of a difference :) ... basic ingredients to parallax mapping would probably be the EditUV node, a tangent map and a pregenerated texture with info on how the uv's are oriented on each point on the mesh, as an offset to the tangent map.
I had to stop working on that because it got too complicated for me...
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Falam

Post by Falam » 19 Dec 2013, 03:23

RRay - What order should things go ? I will probably be using parallax mapping alot, now and in the future ! If something could get started it would be superb.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 19 Dec 2013, 14:30

http://www.shaders.moederogall.com/

Scroll down and download the parallax plugin from benR. See if this old shader work for you.

Cheers!
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Falam

Post by Falam » 19 Dec 2013, 14:36

Daniel Brassard wrote:http://www.shaders.moederogall.com/

Scroll down and download the parallax plugin from benR. See if this old shader work for you.

Cheers!
I'm ahead of you, I tried the shader it crashed my shader tree. I need the manual method as I'm using a Beta shader and factory nodes most likely will work, I could be wrong, I don't think I will be :)

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 19 Dec 2013, 14:48

Then use RenderMap to create a depth map.
Depth Maps, also called height maps, are grayscale representations of the height of every point on an object's surface. Depth maps are often used by game developers to create a more realistic bump-mapping effect called parallax mapping, which simulates the correct displacement you perceive on an object's surface, based on the camera's point of view.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 19 Dec 2013, 21:01

Depth map visualization using the rendertree from P Diary (Japanese) at http://p-diary-tera256.blogspot.ca/2011 ... -tips.html
Attachments
original-Depth2.jpg
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Falam

Post by Falam » 20 Dec 2013, 02:53

Daniel Brassard wrote:Depth map visualization using the rendertree from P Diary (Japanese) at http://p-diary-tera256.blogspot.ca/2011 ... -tips.html
Interesting ! I hope it deforms the UV texture map.