export/import materials

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
Eugen

export/import materials

Post by Eugen » 30 Jan 2014, 20:35

Hi guys,
what's a decent way of getting mental ray materials over from other applications? 3ds max, Maya...
Actually, I believe to know the answer - it's not really possible, because I tried hard.
FBX, OBJ, even Alembic... all fail, producing Phong crap or the likes. But to make absolutely sure I'd like to ask here. Maybe someone knows some miraculous path through this uncanny valley...

If it's a VRay scene, and you have VRay for Soft, there's the trick of exporting (via VRay RT) a .vrscene, importing it into Soft via this script they supply, do some re-assigning, and ok.
I'm also aware of Chaosgroup's VRMats initiative, but it will be VRay only then.
http://www.v-ray.com/features/vrmats/

Mental ray still seems to be left in the desert. Amazing, since it is the one renderer all Autodesk apps share.

Did I overlook something? Script, converter app, file format,...?
Thanks!
Eugen

Eugen

Re: export/import materials

Post by Eugen » 31 Jan 2014, 09:36

To answer my own question: if the shaders are all 'Standard' in 3ds max, 'Send to Softimage' gets them across, with images and all, more or less...
(noticed that empty 'Image' nodes are created sometimes, however)

Ok for now, but this whole topic asks for a decent script (one in max, or Maya, one in Soft), based on the names of shaders and ports, with mapping templates. Similar to Felix Geremus' MMShaderTools.
Can't be THAT complicated... let's see.