dotXSI export

Topics related to game developing
minilogoguy18

dotXSI export

Post by minilogoguy18 » 27 Feb 2013, 04:23

Is there any way to fix this so that it works properly? I know it was intentionally bugged but since others seem to have made plugins to restore the .obj and .3ds function figured it may be possible to do the same with this. I'm just a simple game modder, not looking to turn any sort of profit or anything like that, just want dotXSI 3.0 to export with UV coordinates.

Janosch

Re: dotXSI export

Post by Janosch » 10 Mar 2013, 11:48

Only dotXSI3.0 and not 3.6 :-?

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 26 Sep 2016, 22:21

Found out that if you want to use the dotXSI 3.x formats for any game just triangulate the model before export manually then make sure the export settings are set to polygons and not triangles and it will export properly.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 28 Sep 2016, 23:46

All exporters are intentionally broken? I had no clue, but seems logical for free version.

I took a quick look in to .obj and dotxsi formats, and they seem to have some similarity's vertexes and normal's for example have identical listing, but uvs are a litlle bit meshed up (OBJ will list 8 uv vertexes for a cube - while dotxsi3 will list all 24 UVs like the object is exploded ).

Should be possible to make a script that takes some content from obj and fixes the .xsi

minilogoguy18

Post by minilogoguy18 » 29 Sep 2016, 00:54

I haven't tried all the options in the dialogue box for dotXSI but the main thing is that is if you select export as triangles it will give the message "Function not implemented in Mod Tool version". Triangulating manually using the operator then just exporting as polygons will bypass this so that you can export to whatever game engine or game engine compiler as they always require triangulated models.

OBJ has always worked for me but I am using a 3rd party exporter that you can find on ModDB under the user group "Softimage'rs", they have quite a few handy addons for Mod Tool.

Speaking of scripts I wish I could find someone that would be able to get a python script for Blender working in Mod Tool to export to a Quake 3 Arena file type.