My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
gustavoeb

Re: My Wishlist for Softimage... maybe 2013 ?

Post by gustavoeb » 16 Feb 2012, 14:10

bottleofram wrote:In every single compound of the recovered scene you get a disconnected nodes that you should manually remove and reconnect with new ones
Disconected nodes? Not again :(
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 16 Feb 2012, 15:15

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Honestly, I have only one wish:

Reliabilty.

Achim
Do you have any idea what actions are causing these crashes? I was having quite a few myself but 2 things cured it:

1) Turn OFF "Threaded Optimization" in Nvidia drivers. This causes all sorts of UI related crashes, especially with the render region tool but also in many different windows including the ice tree.

2) If MR is crashing, force ON "Convert Textures to Memory Maps" in the global settings.

With these two changes I've worked for about 2 weeks without a single crash and I've been pushing it hard.

Try it, see if that makes a difference for you.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 16 Feb 2012, 17:45

@bottleofram: I certainly do NOT do CG for so long, but I liked you post a lot and it's outcome. Just wanted to say that.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 16 Feb 2012, 21:35

ActionArt wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Honestly, I have only one wish:

Reliabilty.

Achim
Do you have any idea what actions are causing these crashes? I was having quite a few myself but 2 things cured it:

1) Turn OFF "Threaded Optimization" in Nvidia drivers. This causes all sorts of UI related crashes, especially with the render region tool but also in many different windows including the ice tree.

2) If MR is crashing, force ON "Convert Textures to Memory Maps" in the global settings.

With these two changes I've worked for about 2 weeks without a single crash and I've been pushing it hard.

Try it, see if that makes a difference for you.
@action art
I´m thankful for whatever helps even a bit, will try it. I have all kind of problems though from mr muttering when rendering shaderballs in the material manager to a lot of corrupted scene data.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 16 Feb 2012, 22:10

Something serious is wrong then, that's not the norm. Perhaps a fresh install and then add only the addons you need one at a time.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Feb 2012, 22:16

@Lord Futzi Voldemort - runonce.bat? ~x(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 16 Feb 2012, 22:28

One other thing SI support suggested when I was having trouble was to re-name your user directory and test from there. That helps determine if it's a third party problem.

Another thing, if you're using the "dual" screen layout preset try default. For some unknown reason I had a whole lot of unexplained crashes with it. No idea why...

Maybe also deactivate shaderballs in the material manager for a while?

Memag

Post by Memag » 16 Feb 2012, 22:45

Though these would be interesting to play with and get inspired.

WebGL Water

WebGL path tracing

Other cool stuff

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 17 Feb 2012, 08:59

the xsi viewport will not feature fast rendering previews in the future.
also iray will not come that fast to xsi, so the best is to use arnold, or, if someone at ad has a good day, we will see the implementation of mr's progressive rendering.

Memag

Post by Memag » 17 Feb 2012, 10:10

Kzin wrote:the xsi viewport will not feature fast rendering previews in the future.
also iray will not come that fast to xsi, so the best is to use arnold, or, if someone at ad has a good day, we will see the implementation of mr's progressive rendering.
How do you know what future holds? All I know things are pretty unpredictable and anything could happen (remember Avid -> AD).
Technology changes rapidly and I think such viewport interaction will eventually be a standard.
Many users can't get Arnold, but there's Vray™ also , so...
Luceric wrote:Softimage's program manager's current position is to not have iray in softimage. Not because it's awesome and must be reserved for Max, but because isn't so hot, and it isn't useful for most of the user base (everything must fit in the GPU RAM for using the GPU, no motion blur, no programmable shader trees, no particles, etc) and is costly to integrate and maintain. (It's not going to be in Maya either, afaik) The time that would be spent on that will be spent instead on the OpenGL Viewports, maintenance/stability of the current rendering engine, and helping third parties such as Arnold.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Feb 2012, 11:39

@Kzin - Insider knowledge or "pessimistic" outlook on the future? :-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 17 Feb 2012, 11:46

Memag wrote:
Kzin wrote:the xsi viewport will not feature fast rendering previews in the future.
How do you know what future holds? All I know things are pretty unpredictable and anything could happen (remember Avid -> AD).
Technology changes rapidly and I think such viewport interaction will eventually be a standard.
Many users can't get Arnold, but there's Vray™ also , so...
Luceric wrote:Softimage's program manager's current position is to not have iray in softimage. Not because it's awesome and must be reserved for Max, but because isn't so hot, and it isn't useful for most of the user base (everything must fit in the GPU RAM for using the GPU, no motion blur, no programmable shader trees, no particles, etc) and is costly to integrate and maintain. (It's not going to be in Maya either, afaik) The time that would be spent on that will be spent instead on the OpenGL Viewports, maintenance/stability of the current rendering engine, and helping third parties such as Arnold.
who would implement a path tracing render previewsystem in xsi when your final rendersystem does not support this tech and the shadersystems are different.
a previewsystem only makes sense if the preview and final renders are consistent. you have this with iray and mr for example because they use the same shaders. i know the limitation of iray. and luceric say why they dont go this way, because it cost to much to code a solution for xsi only.

so i think the short time solution could be the implementation of mr's progressive rendering feature, simply because mental ray is bundeled with xsi.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 17 Feb 2012, 11:49

Hirazi Blue wrote:@Kzin - Insider knowledge or "pessimistic" outlook on the future? :-\
i dont hink we will see something like in the webtech demos in xsi, because it makes no sense to code a different rendering system then the implemented one.

Memag

Post by Memag » 17 Feb 2012, 11:56

Kzin wrote: who would implement a path tracing render previewsystem in xsi when your final rendersystem does not support this tech and the shadersystems are different.
a previewsystem only makes sense if the preview and final renders are consistent. you have this with iray and mr for example because they use the same shaders. i know the limitation of iray. and luceric say why they dont go this way, because it cost to much to code a solution for xsi only.

so i think the short time solution could be the implementation of mr's progressive rendering feature, simply because mental ray is bundeled with xsi.
I did not say it will be implemented, I just posted the link because I thought it's cool stuff. However, things constantly change and evolve, nothing will be impossible in the future.
Truth is, I couldn't post in "Open Discussion" due to some "service unavailable" error, so I posted in "2013 wishlist" thread as it was most appropriate place, in which I was able to post it.

edit:

This is interesting as well.

Last edited by Memag on 17 Feb 2012, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 17 Feb 2012, 12:10

Memag wrote: I did not say it will be implemented, I just posted the link because I thought it's cool stuff. However, things constantly change and evolve, nothing will be impossible in the future.

Cheers
it would be great to have something like this in xsi, wishlist is right, but i think no one will hear you. ;)

face

Post by face » 17 Feb 2012, 14:39

Many thinks can be done with a custom display host.
Also the implementation in the existing preview window is possible and working ;)

face