the future? (was: the "frustration" thread)

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Bellsey

Re: the future? (was: the "frustration" thread)

Post by Bellsey » 25 Apr 2012, 15:18

bottleofram wrote:Watch out, Mark Schoennagel's webcast on crowds is currently occupying the AREA front page! No pretty renders or anything, but once in a blue moon they remember this red head stepchild of theirs.

Does anyone know if this is going to be recorded? Never registered nor do i have time to spare right now but it could be informative... i guess... if i ever need crowds... mhm...
I will try and find out.
I expect that it is as we record our EMEA webinars. If by chance that it isn't that I might be able to repeat it for anyone in EMEA.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 25 Apr 2012, 16:36

Well, it would also be nice if Autodesk would send out a reminder email for those who already registered. I signed up for this about 3 weeks ago, and would have completely forgot about it if it wasn't mentioned in this thread just now (Thanks bottleofram). Does Autodesk not want people to show up so they can say attendance was down? This way they can say it is not worth the effort to do another Softimage Webcast...

I know a lot of people just want to watch the digital download when it comes out, but if more people would actually register and show up, it might prove to Autodesk that there is a number of people interested - attendance means a lot to PR events...

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 25 Apr 2012, 18:38

Rez007 wrote:Well, it would also be nice if Autodesk would send out a reminder email for those who already registered. I signed up for this about 3 weeks ago, and would have completely forgot about it if it wasn't mentioned in this thread just now (Thanks bottleofram). Does Autodesk not want people to show up so they can say attendance was down? This way they can say it is not worth the effort to do another Softimage Webcast...

I know a lot of people just want to watch the digital download when it comes out, but if more people would actually register and show up, it might prove to Autodesk that there is a number of people interested - attendance means a lot to PR events...
Yeah, I know what you mean about this. I don't know about the US which is where this webinar is being hosted, but certainly from an EMEA view, we do need alot more about getting reminders sent out and even getting the URLs right. It never surprises me how we trip ourselves up on even the simple things.

Mark (The Guvnor, as I call him :) ) Schoennagel tells me that the webinar is recorded and will hopefully hit is blog and YouTube.

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 25 Apr 2012, 19:32

I received my reminder email over an hour ago.

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 25 Apr 2012, 19:59

Thanks for the reminder.. I thought I missed this, but it turns out, It's Right Now!

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 25 Apr 2012, 20:53

just had subs renewal for gold on maya suite of £1250 plus 20% tax.

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 25 Apr 2012, 23:13

Mark posted today's webinar video on his YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Toyh0_d ... ture=g-u-u

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Apr 2012, 11:14

Thanks for pointing this out...
Is it worth watching?
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 26 Apr 2012, 13:22

Just double-checked my subs invoice against last year - unit price of £775 per seat compared to £460 (plus tax of course). That's f***ing ridiculous. 70% increase??!!! I had 2 seats (for my fledgling company) and now will just have one on subscription. And thinking hard about that. Thanks for not providing a silver subscription Autodesk.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 26 Apr 2012, 15:07

mattmos wrote:Just double-checked my subs invoice against last year - unit price of £775 per seat compared to £460 (plus tax of course). That's f***ing ridiculous. 70% increase??!!! I had 2 seats (for my fledgling company) and now will just have one on subscription. And thinking hard about that. Thanks for not providing a silver subscription Autodesk.
If you are renewing, my understanding is that you should be paying the same price as last year.

Here's a 3ds Max thread about the same thing. Look for the comments by Ken Pimental of Autodesk.
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk ... uk/page-4/
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 26 Apr 2012, 15:26

Thanks for the link Steve, I've forwarded it to my reseller and am querying the price increase with them. Let's hope something comes out of it.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Apr 2012, 16:47

xsisupport wrote:If you are renewing, my understanding is that you should be paying the same price as last year.
The sad truth of our little "Price change imminent?" thread last year was
that the Subscription price (i.e. also renewing Subscription) in Europe got raised significantly as well.

Thomas Helzle quoted his German reseller:
Die Gold Subscription wird ebenfalls angepasst auf 900,00 € netto.
(Quoted from here)
...which obviously roughly translates as "Gold Subscription will also be changed to 900 € excluding VAT"

I hope that Stephen Blair is right, but in this rare case I doubt it... :(

edit - I mistakenly thought Mattmos' pricing was the same as mine...
UK pricing actually does seem higher. Sorry for the confusion.
(It's the VAT/no VAT thing that caught me off-guard)

$-)

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 26 Apr 2012, 16:57

Hirazi Blue wrote:
xsisupport wrote:If you are renewing, my understanding is that you should be paying the same price as last year.
The sad truth of our little "Price change imminent?" thread last year was
that the Subscription price (i.e. also renewing Subscription) in Europe got raised significantly as well.

Thomas Helzle quoted his German reseller:
Die Gold Subscription wird ebenfalls angepasst auf 900,00 € netto.
(Quoted from here)
...which obviously roughly translates as "Gold Subscription will also be changed to 900 € excluding VAT"

I hope that Stephen Blair is right, but in this rare case I doubt it... ;)
Everything I read here (eg FAQs on Subscription pricing) says the same thing:

This year, Subscription pricing increases apply to new seats only.

The cost of renewing an existing seat on Subscription will not increase until next year; however, any pricing decreases will be applied to Subscription renewals this year.

UPDATE: The price increases I refer to above were changes that went into effect on 27 March 2012.
Last edited by xsisupport on 26 Apr 2012, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Apr 2012, 17:03

That might be so: but nobody told the resellers apparently. The price I paid just now for renewal was the new price...
Weird isn't it: Autodesk claims one thing and the resellers do something else...
;)

Paulrus

Post by Paulrus » 26 Apr 2012, 17:09

Hirazi Blue wrote:That might be so: but nobody told the resellers apparently. The price I paid just now for renewal was the new price...
Weird isn't it: Autodesk claims one thing and the resellers do something else...
;)
A good reason to dump the antiquated reseller network and get into the 21st century. Resellers were great back in the 1980's and early 90's, but what's the point anymore? I am giving someone a sales commission whom I've never met, only talked to once, never asked for help, never wanted to buy from, yet I must select them as my reseller.

Must be nice to be able to sit in an office somewhere and collect sales commissions without ever doing a thing...

-PG

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 26 Apr 2012, 19:03

Hirazi Blue wrote:That might be so: but nobody told the resellers apparently. The price I paid just now for renewal was the new price...
;)
That is odd, and I will look into it on my end. The resellers aren't allowed to really 'do their own thing', they should all understand the rules in which they have to operate. Our distributors are supposed to relay any information to them, however there can sometimes be a disconnect or delay.

@Paulrus - I agree.