xsi_fanatic

Re: Dear Autodesk

Post by xsi_fanatic » 01 May 2012, 23:45

xsisupport wrote:
xsi_fanatic wrote:
origin wrote:hmm I never adjusted gamma in my projects

For few years my workflow is the same, in short
setup gamma 2.2,
linearize textures, except for hdr's, or the ones that goes to bump/displacement etc
render to (linear) Exr
do the rest in Nuke, working from start to end in linear.
what do you mean by linearize textures ?
Hi

I believe he means you need to de-gamma the textures (remove any gamma-correction). They should not have gamma applied to them.

Here's a nice little slide set
http://www.pixsim.co.uk/downloads/The_Beginners_Explanation_of_Gamma_Correction_and_Linear_Workflow.pdf

Thanks

Autodesk
Stephen,

I dunno how you do it, but you always know where to find the good stuff. Makes life easier.

Thanks,
XF

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 02 May 2012, 00:17

Considering the use of LWF, which most of the time is used with physically accurate renders setup hence the use of Photographic exposure, you should be very aware that checkin all the options in preference and then adding your photo exposure with gamma 2.2 applying the "use gamma correction" will double your gamma resulting into a washed out and incorrect render, reason why i never use all the preference options but just the last 2 and control everything with photo exposure when you dealing with physical accurate lighting.

Those preferences are only "visual" they should be used to "preview" your render with correct gamma, but often people forget about this and add on top a photo exposure with gamma 2.2 and the gamma correction in the final output file.

gfxman

Post by gfxman » 02 May 2012, 11:10

1 - The Image Clip Viewer (Alt + 6) still has limited features. I cannot zoom in manually, pan, or resize the imported image to my liking. I'm still constrained to the limited options available from the right click menu.

2 - I still don't see a real size measurement s.ystem. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the ability to measure objects in centimeters, inches, foot, meters ...etc ? Oh right .... I forgot, 3D Max and Maya already have those features, so I just need to spend more money and purchase the Suite edition and invest more time into learning more major 3D applications. Smart move.

3 - Lattice like controls to the UV maps in the Texture Editor.

4 - A new, user friendly ICE based hair s.ystem. I'm sure that won't kill you.

5 - A real HQ view port. Seriously, what were you thinking when you released the existing HQ view port in SI 2013 ? Why waste resources on a half finished product when you could do so much more improvements to other ends ?
Quote for the first 5. Would be very usefull.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 02 May 2012, 14:41

xsi_fanatic wrote: 5 - A real HQ view port. Seriously, what were you thinking when you released the existing HQ view port in SI 2013 ? Why waste resources on a half finished product when you could do so much more improvements to other ends ?
You have to start somewhere and the HQ isn't unusable. It might not be 100% the best HQ view port out there but it is functional with plenty of room to be improved. If they didn't spend any resources on it at all, it would never happen.

People have cried about wanting the HQ viewport for a while now. So now you have one. From what I understand Maya's wasn't the greatest in its first incarnation either. One can say the same thing about Ref Models and ICE as well where it wasn't all there right from the get go. Lay down a decent first layer then build upon that.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 02 May 2012, 17:26

Maya one is not great one, still, according to what users say about it.
You have to start somewhere and the HQ isn't unusable. It might not be 100% the best HQ view port out there but it is functional with plenty of room to be improved. If they didn't spend any resources on it at all, it would never happen.
Yeah, I definitely agree on this. This is like first step and you can not expect it to work flawlessly. On other hand I would like it more to be more like AdvancedOpenGL mode in Modo, without beautiful reflections, glossiness, DoF and all other 3dsMax crap, we have render for that. Just bump,displacement, shadows, procedural textures preview and maybe AO would be fine for me.

However good, solid base is here, that is important.

1. Yeah this seems like reasonable request
2. Can live without it, but also would not mind to have one.
3. UV tools definitly need more love.
4. Yup
8. Forget .3ds better to invest time into fixing obj or adding dwg now when you are under AD :D
- H -

steve3d

Post by steve3d » 11 May 2012, 11:55

you guys might need some time to take look at this:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/05/autode ... ment-team/

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 11 May 2012, 11:59

Oh steve that is old news, and incorrect btw, and please do not start it again ...
- H -

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 May 2012, 12:17

I was wondering when someone would bring this up... :p
It was - as I already said in the comments to that cgchannel post - a badly worded and poorly researched item, containing at least one factual untruth (the size of the team). But this has all been addressed by multiple comments on "their" forum. If you search "our" community you will find most (if not all) questions raised by the team change have been more or less satisfactorily addressed already, (long) before cgchannel even posted "their" item.
Nothing to see here, move along, people... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 11 May 2012, 15:05

>Posts: 1

I believe we call this something... t-t-t-... te- tor? trek? toll?.. TROLL! Yup, thats it. Troll.

:-h

Cheers

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 May 2012, 15:57

bottleofram wrote:I believe we call this something... t-t-t-... te- tor? trek? toll?.. TROLL! Yup, thats it. Troll.
Seems like a harsh assessment based on one single post IMHO
Linking to an existing article that's inflammatory in itself, doesn't make the person who linked to it a troll per se.
In this case the article is to blame not those who were "confused" by it IMHO...
And calling him a troll won't motivate steve3d to disprove he is in the future...
;)

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 12 May 2012, 02:40

I only fear two things:

1. That I don't waste my years studying and working with XI if things go south.
2. If Softimage does goes down, I would be very angry if I must work with Maya or 3ds Max and their cumbersome interfaces. Perhaps, If that day ever happen.. I will just make my own Softimage updats once I learn ICE enough.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 12 May 2012, 03:05

I'm starting to see ads about the Autodesk Creation Suite around the web, and they mention that Max and Maya are finally together, and they show a picture of a man and woman embracing. They dont even mention visually or in text about SI being in that suite.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 12 May 2012, 15:21

TwinSnakes007 wrote:I'm starting to see ads about the Autodesk Creation Suite around the web, and they mention that Max and Maya are finally together, and they show a picture of a man and woman embracing. They dont even mention visually or in text about SI being in that suite.
That's because its more about Max and Maya being available together for the first time, in a Suite when previously you couldn't get them.
Personally I don't like the whole 'together at last' thing of the marketing, but thats just me'.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 May 2012, 17:14

Max and Maya as a duo remind me more of Carl and Russell from Pixars Up... :D
(but I admit: the list is endless)

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 12 May 2012, 17:22

Finally, boys and girls, the dream comes true! As if someone was just dying for this to happen and the agony is finally over.

Ive got an idea. Maybe if i owned a boutique i could say: this summer, you need a new pair of sneakers to run with, dont you? Ohhh, but do not despair!! I've got just the thing for you. TWO PAIRS OF SNEAKERS!!!

Ha ha... rejoice! =))

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 15 May 2012, 01:35

This is what you get when some decisions are made by people that most probably are disconnected (or never have been connected) from the things they remotely influence.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides