Fabric Q&A

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
laluneverte

Re: Fabric Q&A

Post by laluneverte » 07 Mar 2014, 20:16

Yes, you are right. But that's a worry you won't have to deal with. This is our service. So if something doesn't work the way you'd expect it to, you can file an issue to us. With Splice you aren't developing for a specific DCC anymore however, and I can assure you that the issues mentioned don't occur in maya, for example. The idea of splice is that you can develop once, and our service it to provide support for additional DCCs.

It doesn't stop there, though. We provide source code for all of the splice integrations, so if we don't deliver a required feature in time (based on schedule or priorities), you can still perform that change yourself. So we are not locking you out.

DCC bugs are DCC bugs, of course. But with the community knowledge and the fact that these kinds of things only have to be solved once, things can get a lot simpler.

Let me know if this makes sense.
Helge Mathee - Software Engineer - Fabric Engine

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 07 Mar 2014, 20:46

Given the XSI devs would listen to you and fix that SDK stuff (I don't believe the cluster issues will ever be tackled now), it's too late - XSI is going under. Not tomorrow, but soon enough. I have to and will use it for a transitional period, of course.

After that, given I'd even had written some FE tools - where to migrate? That's why I asked Paul in the first place about the Modo integration.

As I said, Modo looks good. I have no proof yet, but what I see in the videos.
In case you did not watch that 'mesh fusion' thing: http://vimeo.com/85143354
If you ask me - that's beyond what XSI was capable of regarding modeling.

What's your opinion about Modo, btw.? Besides deelopment resources ans practicalities, would you not say that this looks definitely cool?

Add FE's proceduralism to that already awesome toolset, and we're in modeling heaven...
And let's see what 801 brings. They are pushing for character anim even more, afaik - perfect playground for FE, too, I'd say.

Besides, many fellow Softies seem to be interested in going down there, too.

Houdini's surely makes a whole lot of sense in studio environments, and for you guys it's only logical to make that move. For me (freelancer), it's overkill.

XSI was the perfect compromise (in a positive sense) between artist friendlyness and power. Modo might become a worthy successor... I want to believe at least.

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 07 Mar 2014, 22:03

All I'm saying is that when the situation shifts from 'people are interested in Modo' to 'people are moving to Modo' it is a lot simpler for us to invest resources in Splicing Fabric to it.

Modo is definitely cool and I hope to see it continue to succeed. Brad and I chat now from time to time and I expect this conversation will come up again.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 07 Mar 2014, 22:46

That's cool for now. Happy to hear you're not slamming any doors here.

Let's wait until the dust settles and see how many people will actually transition to Modo for real.
I for my part will definitely give it a try, and also play with FE. (Gotta give my brain cells a kick in the * to wake them up again... )
Thanks and see you soon!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 08 Mar 2014, 03:39

Yeah, i am a Icer but not a coder i am very interested in F.E 2.0 . I am not obviously expecting an ICE since it will be even a mistake to copy ICE and not turning on something better and more simplified. I think ICE has too many nodes that from a coherent language vp makes things too much complicated.

sonictk

Post by sonictk » 11 Mar 2014, 06:59

My mind just exploded. And my jaw was open the whole way while I was following the workshop.

I'm completely sold. I'm going to try and port my JScript IK/FK solver that I got from a tutorial a few weeks ago after I finish these workshops. If I manage to do that...I think I might just die from excitement.

(Sorry, this post isn't very useful, but I haven't been this excited about tech stuff since I first got my Dreamcast.)

EDIT: Are there any video workshops on the SceneGraph other than what has been already outlined in the html docs? Sorry, just looking around in case this has already been answered...and I just started looking at some of the demos. ^:)^

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 14 Mar 2014, 19:40

hey sorry I didn't reply - I didn't see the edit.

I recommend that you stick with Splice for now. We are making some changes that will affect the standalone (and make it easier to work with it). There's a very good new release coming in a week or two that will make it a lot of fun to be familiar with Splice. Hope to show some videos next week...