What about Softimaging Blender? SoftBlender?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
iamVFX

Re: What about Softimaging Blender? SoftBlender?

Post by iamVFX » 19 Mar 2014, 12:34

I'll try to decompose what Oleg tried to tell (in a insulting form, but still).

My "obsession" with open source have a concrete reason:

You will never see "Anti-Blender Foundation Strategies" thread on Blender forum. The reason why this thread called "Softimaging Blender" and not "Softimaging Maya/Max/Houdini" is because people see the value of being open. Computer software was always made of open source components, you and me know C++ because C++ Standard Committee made it freely available for public to build software without worrying that someday someone will make decision to stop it from being develop, as it was in case of Softimage.
Last edited by iamVFX on 19 Mar 2014, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 19 Mar 2014, 12:51

luceric wrote:
iamVFX wrote:I think I was not using all those features, my experience with Softimage was a little different from what most of you probably had. It was basically "lets just remove all keys assigned for me by default and reassign them as I like, each one at a time". As simple as that. You pressing the key, you get the tool. You pressing another combination of keys - another tool is enabled, no hidden states or fancy logic, just enogh to get work done.
I doubt that this is true. If it were, how could one debate the possibility of softimage interaction in another product anyway. There is no softimage user out there that isn't using sticky/supra keys, it's fundamental to the experience. The other fundamental bit is how tools and selection are structured, without it emulating the keys will be mostly for naught.
That's why I wrote "I think I was not using all those features". I could, but subconciously, in the process of work, without realising it.

Anyway, that's how I started using Softimage and that's how I start to use Blender. By removing all standard keys and assigning new ones. And you know what? In my little expirence with Blender and hotkey map like that I see no big difference between the packages now. Of course it will be different at some degree, but for me personally the difference is so small that what will make my experience with hotkey interaction complete is that convinient window Softimage had for assigning keys visually, so I could see how my keys are mapped and what they do. Maybe it's just me and nobody wants it, but hey, it seems I'm the only one who can program thing like that and nobody is interested in it as I am, so why not?

Shenan

Post by Shenan » 19 Mar 2014, 16:17

iamvfx, the visual keymap tool you're describing sounds great (I don't remember it in XSI - not sure that I ever used it, or if I have it's been a long time). If it's a clear improvement over what Blender currently has and is presented the right way, I am sure that the Blender community and developers would be thrilled for you to write it.

A good idea might be to start a new thread on the blenderartists forum to describe what you are planning to do, with some clear explanations and screenshots of how it works in Softimage vs. how it works in Blender. I'm sure you will get support, feedback, ideas, tips on the best way to implement it, and alpha/beta testers. Good luck!

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 21 Mar 2014, 01:52

Blender 2.70 is out, with a bunch of nice new features, including some UI improvements:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... Notes/2.70