Anti-Autodesk Strategies

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Anti-Autodesk Strategies

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2014, 11:49

The general mood from our resident AD employees would seem to be: we did what we could & we did nothing wrong. And that may be true from their own perspective. Still Softimage is no more, so something must have gone terribly wrong. It’s not just disinterest by the potential client, failed marketing and such. There’s always two sides to every story and I am still only hearing one.
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 17 Mar 2014, 12:10

Its important to understand that they aren't free to say whatever they like. Of course they will toe the AD line to a large degree.
I think there is little to be gained from questioning them, as they will find answers that are technically correct from their perspective, but dont answer anything that we really want to know.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Mar 2014, 12:14

Pooby wrote:Its important to understand that they aren't free to say whatever they like. Of course they will toe the AD line to a large degree.
I think there is little to be gained from questioning them, as they will find answers that are technically correct from their perspective, but dont answer anything that we really want to know.
Sadly thats been the position all along.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2014, 12:17

@Pooby - I agree, but, as a matter of principle, not getting the answers doesn't necessarily mean that the questions shouldn't be asked...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 17 Mar 2014, 12:26

sure, no real harm in asking, but I feel its just going to result in endless circles in which they think we are not listening, and we think they're not telling the whole picture.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 17 Mar 2014, 14:47

luceric wrote:I think bellsey is arguing that people in the field gave it their best shot. That's all fine and noble of them, but the focus of the marketing was on the Suite. This is not you misunderstanding or misappreciating the marketing.
From the very beginning, everyone knew it was bad news, but no one knew how bad.
(turned out to be how it's been)

"We did what we could" (?) to anyone who's been even remotely following, could immediately tell that's a bunch of crock.

The thing could have just as well done instant rendering, fully automated rigging or whatever,
and it still would've got the same treatment (or no treatment) to then get the same fate.

It started with high suspicion, then the confirmations just kept-on coming ti'l the final blow.

How anyone can defend such a position is beyond me. [-(
Last edited by FXDude on 17 Mar 2014, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 17 Mar 2014, 14:49

Go for SolidWorks or Catia.
And there are many more MCAD applications than that.

"We did what we could" (?) to anyone who has been following only add insult to injury.
Yep, as if they asked any community participation or focus.

luceric

Post by luceric » 17 Mar 2014, 15:27

FXDude wrote:
luceric wrote:I think bellsey is arguing that people in the field gave it their best shot. That's all fine and noble of them, but the focus of the marketing was on the Suite. This is not you misunderstanding or misappreciating the marketing.
From the very beginning, everyone knew it was bad news, but no one knew how bad.
(turned out to be how it's been)

"We did what we could" (?) to anyone who's been even remotely following, could immediately tell that's a bunch of crock.

The thing could have just as well done instant rendering, fully automated rigging or whatever,
and it still would've got the same treatment (or no treatment) to then get the same fate.

It started with high suspicion, then the confirmations just kept-on coming ti'l the final blow.

How anyone can defend such a position is beyond me. [-(
It has been cloudy since 2008, but FYI I'm just as surprised as you that this EOL announcement is happening this year. So don't interpret any of my comments here or on the mailing list as defence, or even explanation, of this decision. The ball is in Autodesk to explain all of this; the webinar is starting soon
Last edited by luceric on 17 Mar 2014, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 17 Mar 2014, 16:37

luceric wrote:I think bellsey is arguing that people in the field gave it their best shot.
That's all fine and noble of them, but the focus of the marketing was on the Suite ...
Sorry i think that sort-of sounded to me like defending the fact that little attention has been put forth.
But maybe did I misinterpret or jump the gun. And if so, my bad.

But my point is it wasn't necessarily concerning you,
but whoever might have suggested or supported "we did our best", cause that's just incredible.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 17 Mar 2014, 17:21

luceric wrote:[...] FYI I'm just as surprised as you that this EOL announcement is happening this year. [...]
You were expecting it much sooner, huh? :D
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Mar 2014, 20:05

He just didnt want to give me a Mac version ;)

Well the Webinar hit a technical Hitch , is it working for anyone again ?
--
Wits University

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 18 Mar 2014, 16:50

Better is no more promotion for Autodicks from internet users. Too, lock and erase any link to its products from underground internet. Piracy was Autodicks army to popularize its products, and continue doing.
No more ilegal links avaiables to download adsk software. This is how Autodicks will be die.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 18 Mar 2014, 17:18

That would be very interesting if the underground stopped linking new autodesks products in solidarity. Highly unlikely but interesting
--
Wits University