record live transition Q&A webinar?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

record live transition Q&A webinar?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2014, 12:15

Would someone please be so kind as to record the live transition Q&A webinar later today for those of us unable to participate? I am sure this will trickle down to the regular web eventually, but sooner would seem better than later, I guess...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Shenan

Re: record live transition Q&A webinar?

Post by Shenan » 17 Mar 2014, 17:47

The webinar stream crashed around half an hour or so into it. Now the page says that it's being recorded and that they will post the recording once it's finished.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 17 Mar 2014, 18:43

Why so much interest in last rites ceremony with the murder in loco?

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 17 Mar 2014, 20:04

Well you really did not miss anything. Totally waste of time...
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Mar 2014, 20:12

Not particularly encouraging ;(
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Shenan

Post by Shenan » 17 Mar 2014, 20:15

Cacoman wrote:Well you really did not miss anything. Totally waste of time...
Have they posted the rest of the webinar somewhere, or did the stream not crash for you? The original page still has the notice about them having technical difficulties.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Mar 2014, 20:25

I tried to get in just as it went arse over ankle. So I either get the it will be recorded page or a 404 error.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 17 Mar 2014, 20:29

Well I was able to watch it until it crashed.

Really a waste of time. Good thing "it misteriously crashed"
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

scrubjay

Post by scrubjay » 17 Mar 2014, 20:30

In the little part I did see Mark Stevens said the reason they won't open source or sell Softimage is because they want to "leverage IP" into Maya. He also said it would take the 2 transition years to do that. It sounds like they are raping the corpse of Softimage.

jamination

Post by jamination » 17 Mar 2014, 20:50

scrubjay wrote: It sounds like they are raping the corpse of Softimage.
I think that started a few years ago when autodesk slipped Softimage the first of many roofies.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Shenan

Post by Shenan » 17 Mar 2014, 21:01

Well, to be fair, he did say that there were more reasons than just that for why it would be difficult to open-source it. I don't remember them all, but the one that made sense to me were any third-party contributions. I don't know if this is the case for Softimage, but a lot of commercial software relies on third-party libraries and perhaps patents that are licensed, so if they ever wanted to open-source it they would have to detangle their code from those libraries and patents, which could be a messy, laborious, and I imagine expensive process. One recent example of this was the Lightworks film/video editor. They have taken a few years to go through this process and arrive at a working program free of third-party IP. I'm not even sure if they're quite finished yet.

Of course it would also be possible for them to just rip out any third-party stuff and drop a non-working Softimage that could take years to get working again. :(

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Mar 2014, 22:18

I actually rescheduled a meeting "last minute" to be able to watch this… 8-}
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 18 Mar 2014, 01:50

A quick recap of what happened in the video. The webinar doesn't bring any new information. Nothing that hasn't been asked or answered. Less than 25 minutes throughout the webinar, they stopped airing because of "technical difficulties". However, what really pissed me off was the fact that the people in charge are obviously a bunch of amateurs. Reasoning with them is close to impossible as everything they know about the DCC apps is purely theoretical.

And what hurts most is how they mention all the updates and care being given to Maya. They're basically taking all the good features of Softimage and putting them into Maya. So they're spraying salt on the wounds and to air that at such a sensitive time shows just how oblivious they are to the decisions they make.

Idiots ! We're owned by a bunch of idiots !

scrubjay

Post by scrubjay » 18 Mar 2014, 02:08

Was it just me, or did Bifrost look pretty poor compared to ICE? It is a plugin, not really a part of Maya. They presented that as a 'feature'. No real interactivity, and seemingly so slow at solving they would not show it in their tech demo. Plus no hint of a node based interface.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Mar 2014, 09:02

You need to understand that Autodesk moves at Autodesk speed: slow and very slow

Biforst doesn't came with nodes. It is just a fluid sim.

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 18 Mar 2014, 09:12

OK they say they're gonna put the best XSI ideas into maya, but to what extend? The spoke about non linear animation Tools in Maya that would look like the ones in XSI. What will it be exactly? If they want to calm down the Softimage community, at least they should show us a bit what they're doing.