record live transition Q&A webinar?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
luceric

Re: record live transition Q&A webinar?

Post by luceric » 18 Mar 2014, 12:36

Marc revealed tons of thing about future releases, it's really funny. So has chris vienneau on that long mail about maya that was copied here. Never has there been such a huge non-NDA info dump. But I guess you have to listen very carefully to catch it all. Some stuff was also demoed at siggraph in the "tech preview" bit. The softimage community also got to see maya 2015 videos before maya users!
btw, Marc is the vice president of everything-but-Max-and-Smoke and in my experience doesn't follow what's going on on the other side of the fence, and wouldn't be trying to get people to move to Max. I think M&E could have had a seat for Max on that panel, although from what I gather people don't seem to be very interested. I guess if you're a potential Max transitionner, you already know.

NNois

Post by NNois » 18 Mar 2014, 13:35

I really don't catch where all this is going on the maya side. seems like power tools but shaped as like carrara tools, sames goes for xgen.

Speaking about interface design and futur do you really think this is where tools needs to tend ? with push-buttons/menus etc.
Is it really a benefit and a progress for the user ?

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 18 Mar 2014, 15:09

Yes I read again this long email from Chris. Project H seems interesting. But still... waiting several years for things we already had in XSI... is this a good deal? Some things will be better in Maya 2017 than in XSI 2015 once they are finalized. But will XSI's excellent workflow be reproduced? I have serious doubts. In that case we'll be waiting 2 years for not much.
XSI purchased in 2008, Maya with "project H" finalized in 2016 (if everything goes well). That makes 8 years during which Softimage could have been developped further and become THE unparalleled 3d app. :-o

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 18 Mar 2014, 16:29

Well, looking only to what was shown, I really liked what I saw (just looking as features). There's some things that will improve a lot on using Maya as a modeling tool, I like the new manipulators (small stuff, but you use it everyday) and even though BiFrost is for now only a fluid sim, I though more impressive than the first time I saw Lagoa videos (I'm no user of Lagoa, just saying the impression).

As for the lack of Max, Marc said that the majority of Softimage users were asking questions about transitioning to Maya and that's why there wasn't mentions of 3ds Max.

Now, I do have to agree with Luc-Eric (I like disagreeing with him) that a lot about future releases and roadmap has been shown on the video and on that long e-mail on the list. It's better than never hearing anything about it, right?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Mar 2014, 17:57

No it is not. Credibility, there is none.
And you can't compare Bifrost with Lagoa.
Lagoa does much more than Bifrost, despite that i think that Lagoa has a convoluted usability. It just depends what you want to do.

Edit: actually reading http://www.fxguide.com/featured/bifrost ... epth-look/
Bifrost seems to not have yet spray. So i don't consider it at release quality even for a fluid sim.
Last edited by Bullit on 18 Mar 2014, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 18 Mar 2014, 18:09

There was a lot of information , on new features in Maya, very little on whats been done to help transition (ie as in workflow related) Very little on education which was disappointing for me and they didn't seem to know about their own ARC program. It was very much a balls in a vice presentation, And we got to see stuff a few hours in front of the Maya guys (which if any of them figured it out they would have watched the stream.. umm videos live.. mostly live)

As we have to move to Maya i was looking for all the positives for me and there were a few. The modeling tools shown were better then expected and I can see some students playing around in bifrost. If was making a living out of using Soft I wouldnt be smiling now though, to many if , buts and a few years down the line.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Mar 2014, 18:29

Meanwhile 3ds Max users - i use it but i just can't care for it - are already going to explode.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... &t=1164272

NNois

Post by NNois » 18 Mar 2014, 19:15

is Xgen use the bitfrost engine ?