How do they knew?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
luchifer

How do they knew?

Post by luchifer » 19 Mar 2014, 17:24

Just a question that has been buggered me... Softimage is EOL because it couldnt sell enough but... If Autodesk didnt have a Softimage suite, and you couldnt buy Softimage without a Suite (at least my reseller wouldnt do it), or it was better to buy the suite because it was a better investment... how did Autodesk knew that people werent using Softimage?

I mean, c'mon!... studios were using it.. right? At least in wikipedia is listed as involved in Predators, Thor, Elysium, Lego movie, etc.

McNistor

Re: How do they knew?

Post by McNistor » 19 Mar 2014, 20:13

luchifer wrote:Softimage is EOL because it couldnt sell enough but...
Where did you get this info from? Quotation?
I don't think Adsk ever motivated Softimage's EOL this way. They said something about better focusing on fewer products and thus helping the industry and other BS...
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 19 Mar 2014, 20:23

Im sorry I understand from luceric "here was a hope when suites were created and Softimage added to them. Softimage ICE could have become the de facto Procedural FX app in the portfolio if the market had adopted" and from the discussion about marketing that XSI didnt sold enough seats.

luceric

Post by luceric » 20 Mar 2014, 20:54

luchifer wrote:and you couldnt buy Softimage without a Suite (at least my reseller wouldnt do it).
not true. you could buy softimage by itself, even from the autodesk.com web site

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 20 Mar 2014, 21:46

luceric wrote:
luchifer wrote:and you couldnt buy Softimage without a Suite (at least my reseller wouldnt do it).
not true. you could buy softimage by itself, even from the autodesk.com web site
Unfortunately not everyone can buy directly from the website. There are a lot of us (specially if your not in the USA or UK) whose only option is to buy via resellers and I can tell you for a fact they only sold suites. Even if you queried them and showed them it was possible to do so from the website. We were always told that because of our region we were only allowed to purchase the suites.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

luceric

Post by luceric » 20 Mar 2014, 23:27

I don't know that. In any case, from what I heard the suites with softimage didn't sell a whole lot, so that would not have been a factor.
they litterally just decided they didn't want to make 3 programs anymore, I don't think Autodesk said the revenue going down being a factor. More like an additional justification but not the main thing behind the decision.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 21 Mar 2014, 00:23

luceric wrote:I don't know that. In any case, from what I heard the suites with softimage didn't sell a whole lot, so that would not have been a factor.
they litterally just decided they didn't want to make 3 programs anymore, I don't think Autodesk said the revenue going down being a factor. More like an additional justification but not the main thing behind the decision.
From a business sense I can understand that. I have even laid that out before it was announced. Just sucks that the better program is being dropped.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 21 Mar 2014, 02:16

thank you for the answer.