Additional si licenses

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
pluMmet

Additional si licenses

Post by pluMmet » 07 Apr 2014, 16:34

I of course heard the AD disgrace a few weeks ago but only just learned that the deadline to purchase si2015 has passed.

Does anyone know the rules for buying a company with licenses?

Also what about installing a license once support is over in a year?

luceric

Re: Additional si licenses

Post by luceric » 07 Apr 2014, 16:48

Existing clients can buy new licenses for the next two years. Install support for these licenses has no end.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 07 Apr 2014, 17:38

thx because Houdini is full retard @ 13 releases w/o animation mixer.

pcd

Post by pcd » 09 Apr 2014, 08:30

pluMmet wrote:thx because Houdini is full retard @ 13 releases w/o animation mixer.

Well, maybe if you spend some time learning you will find out that the 'full retard' Houdini has CHOPS. Witch is animation mixer on steroids - you can mix, add, crop, extend, layer etc edit in any way you want your animation clips PROCEDURALLY. Witch means you have full access to your nodes at any time and if you make one change it will propagate down the network. So when you need to change something, you don't need to redo the full project, just change one node and it will change the full network accordingly in real time; mind blowing. In the mean time Maya still does not have viscous fluids, white water etc. Houdini has low level access witch is called VEX(vector expression - equivalent of ICE). I'm still learning, i am in this boat only for about 2 months but so far is way better then expected. So please, when you do an affirmation make sure it's true. So i am glad i switched over to Houdini already but feel free to go witchever route you want. Just make sure you don't wrote things witch aren't true....

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 09 Apr 2014, 12:05

Actually the fact that Softimage isn't sold anymore means that 2015 wasn't the last release. 2014 was. One more Autodesk lie.

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2014, 12:28

pcd wrote:
pluMmet wrote:thx because Houdini is full retard @ 13 releases w/o animation mixer.

Well, maybe if you spend some time learning you will find out that the 'full retard' Houdini has CHOPS. Witch is animation mixer on steroids - you can mix, add, crop, extend, layer etc edit in any way you want your animation clips PROCEDURALLY. Witch means you have full access to your nodes at any time and if you make one change it will propagate down the network. So when you need to change something, you don't need to redo the full project, just change one node and it will change the full network accordingly in real time; mind blowing. In the mean time Maya still does not have viscous fluids, white water etc. Houdini has low level access witch is called VEX(vector expression - equivalent of ICE). I'm still learning, i am in this boat only for about 2 months but so far is way better then expected. So please, when you do an affirmation make sure it's true. So i am glad i switched over to Houdini already but feel free to go witchever route you want. Just make sure you don't wrote things witch aren't true....
Hmmm I'll look into what you said but I did do my reasearch and by typing "motion mixer" into google I got a 1 month old thread on the sidefx forum that said they do not have a motion mixer.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option= ... fbac0bd63e
Animation:
Houdini hasn't the animation mixer. But once again, for the houdini team, it will be very easy for them to do an animation GUI wrapper on the chop context to configure underlying node . For infos, Chop context allow to modify animation curve with math node, noise node,...) : very very powerful.
Property maps = which map do you want? weigth map? color map? For info, in Houdini, you can attach user/expression results data on each vertex and/or point and/or polygon and/or object. Weigth map, vertex color map are examples.
Dependencies : Houdini is by definition softimage Schematics windows( 9 keyboard).
Animation control = custom control null shape?If true, very easy!!!

Like you, I like softimage. This soft has a very good design and a very good speed. But, give a chance to houdini!!!

If you need more information, ask me with some examples. I'm not a professional but I can give you some clues about houdini and softimage equivalence.
So something is not jiving here and it's not due to my lack of effort :P

If Houdini has no panel like this

Then you are too much of a Dictionphile for me.

Are we back to Full Retard or am I missing something?

pcd

Post by pcd » 09 Apr 2014, 13:13

pluMmet wrote:
pcd wrote:

You're missing more then you can imagine. Take a look at the screen bellow to see how many functions do you have(and this is just one function out of how many on the menu??). In the sample i attached/created two motions to a cube. Look only at the timing options i have!!! The problem is that the NLA editor in Houdini does not look like that in XSI. But this does not mean that it's not there! And boy what it does, you can only dream of such functions in Maya or other programs, really!!! I don't know how the hell i missed this program so far. Take a look at how it combines the motion clips, and at the fact that i can add a new node to manipulate the combined result! I can also have access to the clips fcurves both before and after the clips combination. And i can go low level(ICE like) and create a tool like i want to manipulate the clips in certain ways. This is mind blowing to be honest, and i just scratched the surface. So, go ahead and learn a bit about what you want to use before bashing it. It might not be as visual appealing as animation mixer, but it's has so much more functionality that i already switched to Houdini.....
Attachments
timing_clip_functions.png

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2014, 14:00

pcd wrote:
pluMmet wrote:
You're missing more then you can imagine. Take a look at the screen bellow to see how many functions do you have(and this is just one function out of how many on the menu??). In the sample i attached/created two motions to a cube. Look only at the timing options i have!!! The problem is that the NLA editor in Houdini does not look like that in XSI. But this does not mean that it's not there! And boy what it does, you can only dream of such functions in Maya or other programs, really!!! I don't know how the hell i missed this program so far. Take a look at how it combines the motion clips, and at the fact that i can add a new node to manipulate the combined result! I can also have access to the clips fcurves both before and after the clips combination. And i can go low level(ICE like) and create a tool like i want to manipulate the clips in certain ways. This is mind blowing to be honest, and i just scratched the surface. So, go ahead and learn a bit about what you want to use before bashing it. It might not be as visual appealing as animation mixer, but it's has so much more functionality that i already switched to Houdini.....

Either you are about to piss me off because you out [edited out by HB] or I have no understanding of how to use that system.

The reason I even googled it to begin with is I need to see if Houdini meets my needs before deciding to spend any money of this magnitude.

If you are gong to sit there and tell me that the ease of having Blocks in a Motion Mixer are too simple a mechanism then you are disterbed.

Or on the other hand if google was a poor way for me to see how 'great' this system you are talking about is then fine... where is a video demo I can see on how I can assign and mix blocks.

All I see in that image is a curve editor and the ability to use nodes to connect blocks. That appears to mean the instead of being able to slide a block around in a proper mixer I have to be changing values around in each little node.

Am I missing something wonderfull or are You a Full Retard?

Moderator edit: the text I edited out could be seen as an insult to someone not even active in this thread... - HB
Last edited by pluMmet on 09 Apr 2014, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 09 Apr 2014, 14:01

Thanks PCD that's very interesting. The A.M. is one of the best tool in XSI I.M.O. so if it's possible to work in the same way in Houdini, that's good news!
Are there plans to improve the GUI for this?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Apr 2014, 14:31

It could just be me, but the tone of this thread seems to have gotten a bit unpleasant.
To all involved, please try to tone it down a little.
:ympray:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2014, 14:33

pluMmet wrote:Either you are about to piss me off because you out [edited out by HB] or I have no understanding of how to use that system.

I guess that should have read:

Either you are about to piss me off because you are trivializing a valid concern or I have no understanding of how to use that system.

Sorry HB it just gets to be such a bother not having concens addressed because no one will acknowledge them as such which is such a low way of handeling stuff.

Moderator edit: I've sent you a private message, but you haven't read it yet... ;) - HB

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2014, 15:05

Google "Houdini animation chops"

I can get a speaker to reviberate using audio very well with chops

Google "Houdini charater animation chops"

*crickets

pcd

Post by pcd » 09 Apr 2014, 17:41

pluMmet wrote:
pcd wrote:
pluMmet wrote:

Either you are about to piss me off because you out [edited out by HB] or I have no understanding of how to use that system.

The reason I even googled it to begin with is I need to see if Houdini meets my needs before deciding to spend any money of this magnitude.

If you are gong to sit there and tell me that the ease of having Blocks in a Motion Mixer are too simple a mechanism then you are disterbed.

Or on the other hand if google was a poor way for me to see how 'great' this system you are talking about is then fine... where is a video demo I can see on how I can assign and mix blocks.

All I see in that image is a curve editor and the ability to use nodes to connect blocks. That appears to mean the instead of being able to slide a block around in a proper mixer I have to be changing values around in each little node.

Am I missing something wonderfull or are You a Full Retard?

Moderator edit: the text I edited out could be seen as an insult to someone not even active in this thread... - HB

Do your own search and try to be polite, because if i call you a retard, it's not the way to talk. I answered to your false statements about Houdini.So please avoid me.
Last edited by pcd on 09 Apr 2014, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

pcd

Post by pcd » 09 Apr 2014, 17:50

grendizer wrote:Thanks PCD that's very interesting. The A.M. is one of the best tool in XSI I.M.O. so if it's possible to work in the same way in Houdini, that's good news!
Are there plans to improve the GUI for this?

Actually this is exactly what i think off before i started to work with it. But the catch is, that it is like this with a purpose. So please be careful: in the picture you see two animation clips for the box. SO, we are then CONSTRUCTING A NETWORK, and we combine the two clips as we want(in the sample above i added a math operator and i mixed the two animations so the end result is clip a+ clip B - you can't do this in SI). Now, let's say that i need to stretch one of them; well i add a stretch node! This way i don't touch the clips themself so everything is procedural. I can input how much to stretch the clips and then, add a cycle with offset. Let's say that the client ask me after i finished the editing to reduce the stretch. Now, if i am in Maya or SI at this point i bang my head to the desk because i need to redo everything, but in the above sample i just modify the stretch node to the new value, and the change propagates down the network! It's mind blowing how it works. I might not be the best teacher though, since i am only using it for about 2 months, but there is a full episode on CHOPS over to the sidefx site(Ari Danesh lessons, and are free). Ah, and by the way you can work with audio files to drive the motion! It's a very-very powerful tool, like i said AM on steroids. Just look at the options on the solve nodes only!
Thank you
Attachments
timing_clip_functions_large.jpg

pluMmet

Post by pluMmet » 09 Apr 2014, 18:34

pcd wrote:Do your own search
pluMmet wrote:Hmmm I'll look into what you said but I did do my reasearch and by typing "motion mixer" into google I got a 1 month old thread on the sidefx forum that said they do not have a motion mixer.

So something is not jiving here and it's not due to my lack of effort :P

If Houdini has no panel like this

Then you are too much of a Dictionphile for me.
pluMmet wrote:Google "Houdini animation chops"

I can get a speaker to reviberate using audio very well with chops

Google "Houdini charater animation chops"

*crickets
pcd wrote:try to be polite, because if i call you a retard, it's not the way to talk. I answered to your false statements about Houdini.So please avoid me.
Lets get straight who started in on who here:
pcd wrote:Well, maybe if you spend some time learning you.... So please, when you do an affirmation make sure it's true. So i am glad i switched over to Houdini already but feel free to go witchever route you want. Just make sure you don't wrote things witch aren't true....
pcd wrote: So, go ahead and learn a bit about what you want to use before bashing it. It might not be as visual appealing as animation mixer, but it's has so much more functionality that i already switched to Houdini.....

I have yet to see any info from Google or you on how 'great" Houdini is with character animation mixing just a lot of self important responses.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 09 Apr 2014, 21:47

the grammatical errors being made in this thread are shocking. cannot sit and judge as its natural to assume non native English speakers, and, if I had to attempt some clean simple proper sentences in your languages then the result would be a heinous crime indeed.

so, skipping over that, dear both. I can see your points. a little bit more understanding of the others needs will be beneficial here. please allow me to translate.

Plummet:Q: does Houdini have a simple, easy to use animation mixer - with tracks and animation clips and NLE mixing like a video editor?

Pcd:A: No, but it 'can' do most of these tasks procedural with nodes and graph instead of tracks and clips, which opens up a lot more scope for different workflows for the same end results
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.