Coping with the "depression"

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
csaez

Re: Coping with the "depression"

Post by csaez » 10 Apr 2014, 23:57

I don't know what's going on between Autodesk employees and Fabric Engine, but some comments are deeply unprofessional (not just here, there are some gems on the mailing list too).

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Apr 2014, 10:26

While everybody's obviously allowed to have their personal likes and dislikes and act upon them, I find it somewhat puzzling that we (users & employees alike) didn't abandon Autodesk/Softimage at a much earlier date, as most of this was known in one way or another in the past as well. Funny aside: many people currently at Fabric seem to be among the most notable ones who actually did abandon Autodesk/Softimage at such an earlier time.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 11 Apr 2014, 11:19

Hirazi Blue wrote:While everybody's obviously allowed to have their personal likes and dislikes and act upon them, I find it somewhat puzzling that we (users & employees alike) didn't abandon Autodesk/Softimage at a much earlier date, as most of this was known in one way or another in the past as well. Funny aside: many people currently at Fabric seem to be among the most notable ones who actually did abandon Autodesk/Softimage at such an earlier time.
;)
Personally, the whole Autodesk acquisition of Softimage has left a bitter taste in my mouth since it happened and every year when I had to stump up their ever-varying subscription payment (varying from too expensive to bloody expensive)!

The only reason I have put up with it for so long is that other 3D software simply does not compare, as I think we are all finding now we are having to seriously consider other packages!

From the first day I started using Softimage it just made sense, and was a complete revelation after over 10 years of Lightwave where I routinely hit a brick wall and ended up frantically searching the web for a plugin. The ability to build my own tools quickly and easily using ICE has made Softimage an absolute pleasure to use, and saved me the sleepless nights I used to suffer from, worrying how I was going to achieve the results my client was looking for.

So far the only light at the end of a very dark AD tunnel is Houdini, which I am currently evaluating, and seems to be the last 3D production tool left on the market that offers anything like the functionality I enjoyed in Softimage (albeit at a higher price :()

NNois

Post by NNois » 11 Apr 2014, 11:27

Hirazi Blue wrote:While everybody's obviously allowed to have their personal likes and dislikes and act upon them, I find it somewhat puzzling that we (users & employees alike) didn't abandon Autodesk/Softimage at a much earlier date, as most of this was known in one way or another in the past as well. Funny aside: many people currently at Fabric seem to be among the most notable ones who actually did abandon Autodesk/Softimage at such an earlier time.
;)
theses peoples are visionaries, the others (users & employees), too buzy, just go with the flow, are lazy, or get ripped off (remembering than Luc-Eric just said the killing plan of softimage nearly started the day of the acquisition)

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 11 Apr 2014, 12:26

most of this was known in one way or another in the past as well
Speaking for myself, I wasn't aware of all that before. Call me naive, I really thought Autodesk would support XSI. I wasn't aware of these Autodesk plans untill one month ago.
And I think I'm not the only one: when the Softimage development team was swapped, everyone was surprised.

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Apr 2014, 13:44

NNois wrote:
;)
theses peoples are visionaries, the others (users & employees), too buzy, just go with the flow, are lazy, or get ripped off (remembering than Luc-Eric just said the killing plan of softimage nearly started the day of the acquisition)
yeah but nobody really knew that plan, except that a huge chunk of the devs were moved to Game. But Softimage itself was in the game division at the begining, with suggestion that resources would moved between the projects. It was all very blurry for everyone..

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Apr 2014, 13:59

There is indeed a marked difference between knowing and having a gut feeling! ;)
The role of Marc Petit and the course M&E took in general (very broadly speaking, of course)
never were that much of a secret, IIRC.

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Apr 2014, 14:14

Funny aside: many people currently at Fabric seem to be among the most notable ones who actually did abandon Autodesk/Softimage at such an earlier time.
;)
okay, but who are these "many people". Phil is an entrepreneur and came from an acquisition and moved here from New Zealand. Entrepreneurs pretty much always eventually quit and go do their own things again, that's why they became entrepreneur in the first place - to run things their way! And God bless 'em, they have more courage than I. So has Helge, who's been moving around world and working at different companies (I've only worked in 2 places in 20 years!) I have lots of respect. The second engineer/founder left Softimage month before Autodesk came into the picture, also to co-found something else (also worked less than 3 years on XSI) Paul? A sales person originally from Alien Brain who moved to Autodesk Games in 2008 but and worked on that for two more years. Not exactly a "protest quit" here either.

Btw another poster here somewhat wondered by I didn't "rage quit" myself. I'd never leave the opportunity to work with Pixar/ILM/Dreamworks/EA/Square/etc, this is why I joined Softimage in the first place. Also the opportunity to run/revamp the Maya UI. There are no other job like this in the industry. It's a great job and I love my colleagues.
Last edited by luceric on 11 Apr 2014, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Apr 2014, 14:19

Oh, I didn't want to imply that they all quit out of protest, I just noted they got "out" at an earlier time... Like I stated it was meant as a "funny aside", merely an observation as the Fabric guys keep getting mentioned in this discussion...
;)

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 19 Apr 2014, 13:04

Actually, now that we do not have to speculate anymore what will happen to SI I for one feel a lot better. I mean what has actually changed? We are using SI without signification changes or development for years now. The only difference is: we don't have to pay for it anymore.
There is however still a certain amount of disgust considering the immense stupidity of the act of dumping one of the very few masterpieces of software of all times, but on the other hand, AD are left with loss of reputation almost no trust and the other software that receives not very much love from most people if any at all. Their loss.
Anyway there have always been people who tend to crucify any kind of savior out fear for their own power without extincting the idea that would have led to salvation ;) Let's hope.

PS: if you want to mesh a bifröst sim, you will want to do in in SI with polygonizer..... nuff said. =))
I'm now part of an endangered species...

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 08 May 2014, 18:35

oh, AD I so hate you every day more and more...

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 08 May 2014, 22:42

mirkoj wrote:oh, AD I so hate you every day more and more...
I have got to the point where apart from where I need to deal with Autodesk products for part of my work( which is now only really on the rendering / trouble shooting side) I am now pretty much in the don't give a shit phase. I no longer really care what they do and how they do it. . How they handled the EOL and specifically the EDU EOL was more then enough for them to no longer have any trust or confidence from me.

I am in a lucky position that I have managed to find my migration software which satisfies my own personal requirements (Modo). I will however fall back on Softimage until our edu licences actually expire (2017)

I am also in the very lucky position where I dont have a studio thats gotten used to the incredibly good workflows available in softimage to be able to punch well above their weight Students works are far simpler and easier to push into a new mindset. Even then I am really going to regret all of the momentum we have been able to build up with Softimage. Something we were never able to get going with Maya.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

rray

Post by rray » 08 May 2014, 23:15

same here .. 5 stages of grief model allows for "ignorance" as the fifth step when not dealing with actual living beings :)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 09 May 2014, 00:05

rray wrote:same here .. 5 stages of grief model allows for "ignorance" as the fifth step when not dealing with actual living beings :)
Sadly that explains a lot of people at a university ;)
--
Wits University

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 09 May 2014, 05:47

question for the administrators.. silo forum shut their doors when they went eol... will that happen here in the near future?

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 09 May 2014, 08:15

luchifer wrote:question for the administrators.. silo forum shut their doors when they went eol... will that happen here in the near future?
I very much doubt in the near future.
--
Wits University