Saving SI in an obscure way

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
luceric

Re: Saving SI in an obscure way

Post by luceric » 14 Apr 2014, 19:36

I'm a little baffled by this thread and this last post. Surely you guys don't think that you send work to china you give up your patents and that would allow "saving SI"? Did Apple give up their patents? And since when are patents preventing anyone to write a decent 3d app? Do you ever hear the guys on Blender complain they could make a great a great app but there was a patent in the way?

The story at the top of the thread is about the trouble for a foreigner of selling something in the Chinese market. It's not about anything else.

Helli

Post by Helli » 14 Apr 2014, 23:39

And since when are patents preventing anyone to write a decent 3d app?

Joe Alter ?
Had to post this one ;)

Draise

Post by Draise » 15 Apr 2014, 08:55

True I guess it all would be too ideal to develop a generalist efficient 3d authoring package with fx and Ice environments and compositing and all the bells and whistles within few years, even with a paid dedicated team of developers.. Maybe in house propriety software can be released, learning that withholding tools and secrets doesn't sway the world of media, but enriches it, thus enriching it's demand for it, bigger markets..

Though if I could, and had the business for such a thing, I would.. Maybe with a different marketing strategy, but something nonetheless.

Be it in a few years..

But I can't right now....

Joe Alter? Saw his website and software..?

Concerning si being saved, maybe still feeding into products and market demand for...... Forget it.

Supply and demand.. Public should demand for more products si and their artists provide, even studios and artists should... . The current results speak for themselves, si is abut great tool, but little is known about it .. Should have be done earlier and now it's all a little too late.....

Maybe it failed due to market politics within autodesk, market share and pirac doing more harm to development than predicted, but just the idea that open software in this feild become stronger, slowly but steadily, might be light to all.......

Meh.

I still use Truespace today even when it died years ago, I assume softimage will still be the same for me the years coming till I find that product that strikes an artistic and production worthy cord in me. I will have to just fork out that much more of my finances in expensive seats hoping I will be able to scale in the future somehow.. Unlike Truespace being left free in its doing breath..

I'm bitter...

To me it is disrespectful killing it to the people who coded Si and those who mastered it.