Buying an old version of XSI

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Manticor

Buying an old version of XSI

Post by Manticor » 12 Apr 2015, 19:24

I'm currently thinking about trying to source an old version of XSI( say for instance version 7(pre Autodesk) ) for my own personal use. This licence back then was allowed to be resold .
If I'd hypothetically manage to succeed in finding someone willing to sell ... how would I be able to tell that it was legit if it is no longer supported ?. Would Autodesk be able to vet the license for me to be able to buy it, if it was created before they bought Softimage?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Buying an old version of XSI

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Apr 2015, 20:53

Don't expect anything from Autodesk in this respect. They retired all versions prior to 7.5 (and thus Avid software) in 2011.
Software Retirement Notice

In order to maintain a high level of support for our Autodesk® Softimage® software customers moving forward, please be advised that historical versions of Softimage products (versions prior to Autodesk Softimage 7.5) will be retired effective August 1, 2011. If you intend to move a historical version of Softimage from one workstation to another, please do so prior to the retirement date to make sure that you will be able to re-activate your license.
The page I got this from doesn't exist anymore, hence no link...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 12 Apr 2015, 21:40

aaah yes that old chestnut.So even if I bought a licence I cant activate it on my machine unless it was linked to a usb stick .But also no way of finding out if its legit either.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 13 Apr 2015, 11:34

I'm not sure you've ever been able to resell an old license, even in the Avid days.

But the whole thing is kinda academic, because at Avid, the licensing system was different. Pre-Autodesk, Soft used SPM, then from 7.5 onwards it was moved to ADLM, to same as rest of Autodesk.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 13 Apr 2015, 11:56

Well I can wish that , maybe - just maybe , Autodesk will have a fire sale on Softimage licenses just before they finally retire it in 2016.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 13 Apr 2015, 12:10

I tried to do an update to SI2015, my reseller told me it is impossible ...
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 13 Apr 2015, 12:20

I think a fire sale is highly unlikely. Autodesk has made it's position clear and presented the relevant information.

As for updating/upgrading to 2015, you had until Feb 1st of this year to do that. That's actually the same for the rest of Autodesk.
Autodesk discontinued the option to purchase upgrades to its software from Feb 1st February 2015.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 13 Apr 2015, 19:28

In case you are unaware of this Manticor, and Bellsey please correct me if I am wrong, but you can still purchase New licenses of Autodesk products until Feb. 1st 2016. Unless you are really looking for an old version of XSI, you can however, purchase a New seat of Maya or Max until Feb. 1st 2016, and they come with a Free copy of Softimage 2015. You can then download the Service Packs from Autodesk's website to be at the latest version - this is for Perpetual (permanent) licenses.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 13 Apr 2015, 21:53

Its nice to know its still available to buy but my pockets arent that deep hence me contemplating an old second hand one.

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 13 Apr 2015, 22:07

Just to be clear Bellsey , any european citizens are legally allowed to buy a second hand version of any software whether the manufacturer allows it or not.Its european law.
...I think its just a problem upgrading it...which in softimages case is no longer a problem.
Maybe this forum should open a marketplace section.. thats one way of keeping Softimage alive :D

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Apr 2015, 22:11

While the lure of a cheaper old version is understandable and even though there is some circumstantial evidence that license transfers were allowed in Avid days (the number of XSI 7 sales threads on the German xsiforum), I would still strongly advise against it. The only way this could work, would be with a license based on a dongle, as AD doesn't offer the other replacement licenses anymore. But contrary to common belief: dongles never were particularly stable, in other words: they broke down (a lot). This could leave you with perfectly working dongle based XSI, that breaks down after a month, when the dongle suddenly (and inexplicably) dies.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 14 Apr 2015, 01:23

Hirazi makes a very good point about the dongle. I personally never had an issue with my XSI versions on dongles, but having a hardware failure would be very unfortunate. If you are open to other DDC software that is at a good deal, Houdini's Indie offering is very nice...I think it is, a full version of Houdini for $200 per year as long as you make less than $100,000 in a year, or something like that. It might be a rental program, but it is substantially cheaper than Autodesk's offering. That is all I can think of off the top of my head, I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 14 Apr 2015, 08:56

I hadn't considered houdini actually.Maybe modo/houdini combo would probably better suit my needs( and be cheaper )

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 14 Apr 2015, 11:02

Manticor wrote:Just to be clear Bellsey , any european citizens are legally allowed to buy a second hand version of any software whether the manufacturer allows it or not.Its european law.
...I think its just a problem upgrading it...which in softimages case is no longer a problem.
Maybe this forum should open a marketplace section.. thats one way of keeping Softimage alive :D
ok, I understand what you're saying in light of EU rulings, however I'm not sure it's that simple of just freely buying and selling. If I recall, this subject came up in another thread and after checking with an Autodesk legal counsel, the reply I received was that, it was Autodesk's belief that their current Transfer of License Policy is compatible with the UsedSoft case. Therefore customers are advised to follow the Transfer of License policy.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 14 Apr 2015, 14:10

yes well what Autodesk says is not necesarrily what the European Court of Justice agrees with.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120 ... cant.shtml
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 14 Apr 2015, 14:21

I'm only the messenger here, and only quoting what I was told.
I know nothing beyond that.