Node-based Photo Reactor???

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Node-based Photo Reactor???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 16 Sep 2015, 15:29

Does anyone here have any experience with the node-based image editor Photo Reactor?
It was mentioned at CGTalk the other day
and seems to be around for quite a bit,
but I can't recall ever hearing about it in any meaningful way before that...
;)

belated edit: one limitation seems to be that it can only handle 8 bits per channel... :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Re: Node-based Photo Reactor???

Post by Bullit » 17 Sep 2015, 21:44

Didn't know.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Node-based Photo Reactor???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Sep 2015, 11:04

Although it’s a very unprofessional qualification, the one thing that strikes me while testing the trial version is that it is tremendous fun to play with and a great learning experience as to how certain effects are achieved. Just trying to dissect some of the more complex examples included in the tutorials is a fun ride. And luckily the software offers a way to group nodes for later reuse like we can reuse “our” Softimage compounds. The example below shows one other limitation of the software, the fact that screen space is very limited, which is why I had to split the “Flow” (the terminology the software uses for what we would call a “Tree”) into two different screenshots. These screenshots show an example of such a “Flow” for a “Water Color and Graphite” effect, “combining water color and graphite outlines” as illustrated in the third screenshot…
2015-09-18 10_48_49-.jpg
2015-09-18 10_50_11-.jpg
2015-09-18 10_59_12-.jpg
PS: The documentation of the software could really use a thorough "Node Reference" to highlight all options for all the different nodes...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!