Mari Indie or Substance Painter?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Mari Indie or Substance Painter?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 Dec 2015, 18:01

mc_axe wrote:Its a program for large screens like mari, i work on a small screen so i had to re-arange UI and colapse tabs, but still...right side is horible with lots of scrolling. They should use tabs there as well learn from the king.
Is there an option to utilize a dual monitor setup? :-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 17 Dec 2015, 19:59

Hirazi Blue wrote:
mc_axe wrote:Its a program for large screens like mari, i work on a small screen so i had to re-arange UI and colapse tabs, but still...right side is horible with lots of scrolling. They should use tabs there as well learn from the king.
Is there an option to utilize a dual monitor setup? :-\
Cant find anything on trial rly basic stuff toggle windows and reset.

Grims

Post by Grims » 20 Dec 2015, 00:44

I own both Mari Indie and Substance Painter.

For me, I really like Mari, but you must be aware of its limitations on the Indie version (text from steam page):

Differences between MARI indie and full MARI

- New! The Unreal Shader is now included in MARI indie as well as the Unreal Environment Map!
- Project file (.mra) linked to Steam account / cannot be shared with other users
- The UDIM patch count is limited to 6 patches per object
- The object count is limited to 3 objects
- Export texture resolution size limited to 4k and 8-bit color per channel
- Allowed export formats: .psd, .png, .tga, .jpg
- Output formats no longer available .exr, .tif, .tiff, .hdr, .dds, and .ptx
- Python scripting disabled
- Custom shaders not allowed

I prefer Mari over Substance Painter, although I like the particle dripping effect in Painter and didn't had the opportunity to try the recent updates...

Also, I know that there will be a web seminar in January from The Foundry, to show the potential of Mari. Maybe that will help your decision.
The Future is Gloomy!

jaqu

Post by jaqu » 21 Dec 2015, 06:18

I ,ve been working with substance painter on my work I personally think it is targeted for Game PBR work flow.
other than game pbr . I would suggest use other solutions u have for the job.

Quixel SUITE 2.0 currently not in my option.
because it has too much tweaking for simple visual feed back.
and the PBR workflow is not OK for multi material map.
<try imagine 4 material with 16 PSD file poping around every time u do a tweak>

The reason for painter is that it has fast feed back on PBR visual tweaking . I don`t have to dig in layers and channels for adjustments ,it is easier for managing such tasks.

YES painter lacks decent hand painting tools . It is currently only for game PBR and we dont do much art painting for PBR work , We do the art styling in modeling stage before get in to painter :D .

Rork

Post by Rork » 21 Dec 2015, 12:04

A bit outside the original question, but still texture related and probably useful... ;-)

For me, the most user friendly app out there is still Mudbox. For painting it has a PS approach to layers, and the learning curve is very flat.
Unfortunately, AD is destined to kill MB in a few years from now. As most of the tools are already ported to Maya 2016, there's no real need to keep a separate app I guess.

After having played with Quixel Suite for about a week now, I can say it's a very useful tool for texturing. It can go up to 8K textures, but due to the way it's linked to PS expect some long export times.
I love the 'smart materials' and the way you can add new layers, mix and match and even work inside PS while using Quixel.
The 'regeneration' thing after changing stuff, or with exporting can be a issue for some, I don't really care.
And with the ability to go 8K, it's not entirely suited for game only.
They have some nice presets for starting your project, so you can 'go in' for a 'linear Arnold' workflow from the start.

I liked Substance Painter for the particle stuff, but still find the workflow a bit cumbersome. But if you have to choose between Mari ans Painter, my choice would be Painter still.
I personally feel Mari is too top heavy for freelance work.

Just a quick texturing test, this took literally 3 min. of texturing with the smart material approach. UV's suck, but it's an old model I snagged from the web ages ago....

HD version

cheers!

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Dec 2015, 20:33

That texturing test was done in Mudbox ? sorry does not appears clear for me from the text.

Rork

Post by Rork » 22 Dec 2015, 09:45

Ah sorry, I thought the mentioning of Quixel Suite would make this obvious ;)

But no, this was not done in Mudbox, but Quixel.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 22 Dec 2015, 17:37

So what is a good alternative for hand painting? For example classic old gen assets low poly style with only diffuse sometimes? Is there any light and cool tools focused on that?