Hair technique: How to do this in Softimage ?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
xsi_fanatic

Hair technique: How to do this in Softimage ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 17 May 2016, 20:19

Hi guys,

How do you do this hair modeling technique in Softimage ? I understand he's using Nurbs and Curves, but which tools / workflow ? The multiple mesh creation is an interesting technique.

I'm not familiar with Nurbs, perhaps someone would be kind enough to give some pointers ?

Starting at 14:06 you'll see what I'm talking about.

NNois

Re: Hair technique: How to do this in Softimage ?

Post by NNois » 18 May 2016, 00:12

that's a simple guide curve generation from polygons, seen everywhere no ?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 May 2016, 00:52

That's really really old method, Maya Paint Effects to get extrusions directly from NurbS surface. If tells something, some operators in Kristinka Hair are directly inspired by these old Maya techniques, while it (kH) tries to skip the drawing the strokes, or extracting curves from nurbs. Also it tries to distribute hairs correctly, from root to tip - which of course makes it more complex to control. Small problem with such pfx technique is not existent connection to hair roots, most likely everything originates from almost one point. Here this is not visible because Bruce has no visible hair parting, otherwise it is.
Considering final result, Melena is (get strands from nurbs or something) is closest to that.
But, first of all, artist is master, he shows great feeling for real look of hair, also ability to choose the hairdo that fits to possibilities. This or that way of extrusion along something in this or that software, that's not that much relevant, here.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 18 May 2016, 17:01

NNois wrote:that's a simple guide curve generation from polygons, seen everywhere no ?
Yes, I'm aware of the Extrude Curve from Edges technique, but later on, the user extruded multiple meshes at every curve simultaneously. And all the meshes were extruded precisely in the middle without having to go in and make further adjustments.

I'm trying to recreate that in Softimage, and hopefully without having to use ICE.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 07 Jun 2016, 13:13

Hi, Have you considered this recently unearthed gem for making strips?

http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =27&t=4812