Softimage with Maya/Max 2017 "Transition" Question

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Rez007

Softimage with Maya/Max 2017 "Transition" Question

Post by Rez007 » 30 Jul 2016, 00:57

Hello,

As some have probably guessed from my recent posts, I am watching my perpetual license of Softimage like a hawk. :D Now that the "transition" is in more of a full effect, I had a question regarding the licenses we were issued for that transition period. This would regard the "Maya with Softimage" and "Max with Softimage" licenses. I have not yet upgraded to Maya 2017, and I was wondering for those whom have, or done so with Max 2017, has anyone renewed their Maintenance Subs since then and/or checked their Autodesk account?

The reason I ask this, is before the licenses said "Maya with Softimage" and/or "Max with Softimage" in the Autodesk account page. Upon the roll-out of Maya 2017 (other 2017 products) that has now changed (This changed as of Monday in my account). For me, the "Maya with Softimage" license is still present in my account, however there is now a "Maya" solely also present. This is a new one since the rollout of Maya 2017 (the other separate listing for "Maya" has been cleared out since then). This new "Maya" listing is where the 2017 license sits, and the "Maya with Softimage" stops at 2016. There is no listing for Maya 2017 within that category, like it has been for Maya 2016 and previous versions in the past. Now, during the transition period I asked Autodesk why they couldn't just issue us licenses of either Maya or Max, and keep Softimage separate for confusion sake. They said that was not possible, and they had to issue new SKUs for us instead. This came in the form of "Maya with Softimage" and "Max with Softimage." Fast-forward to where we are now, and it seems those newly issued SKUs are being put to the side, and moving forward, it is just "Maya" and/or "Max".

Looking at my renewal section for my license, my renewal only sits in the Maya 2017 listing, and not the "Maya with Softimage". Does anyone know how this has been moving forward? Does your Maya 2017 (or Max 2017) license operate Softimage like the 2016 release did, or do you have to switch licenses back to 2016 every time you want to open Softimage? What about moving forward in more years of renewal...? Just seems kind of odd that they revert back now, when at first said it wasn't possible, or that might not even be the case. After the EOL of Softimage and now the Mental Ray thing, I am just being overly cautious.

I thought I would post here first in case anyone is further along with renewal than I am, before I go to Autodesk directly.

Thanks for the Help.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Softimage with Maya/Max 2017 "Transition" Question

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Jul 2016, 08:18

I sadly can't help you, but I would advise you to NOT await any replies in this thread, but to take this question to Autodesk directly (and report any reply you get back to us). We were told the "Maya/Max with Softimage" license would remain indefinitely for users "on" subscription, so I am hopeful this is just a "naming" issue/oversight...
:(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 30 Jul 2016, 21:54

Autodesk said at time after a lot of protests that you could remain in Softimage forever, irrespective of what happened with other applications.

luceric

Post by luceric » 01 Aug 2016, 18:04

daniel tutino is writing an official response below
Last edited by luceric on 06 Aug 2016, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 02 Aug 2016, 18:13

Hirazi Blue wrote:I sadly can't help you, but I would advise you to NOT await any replies in this thread, but to take this question to Autodesk directly (and report any reply you get back to us). We were told the "Maya/Max with Softimage" license would remain indefinitely for users "on" subscription, so I am hopeful this is just a "naming" issue/oversight...
:(
I was able to hear back from Autodesk yesterday, and it is pretty much what Luceric mentioned below. Although, the "Maya with Softimage" SKU was actually discontinued and replaced with Maya 2017. So it seems like the transition is fully complete. Moving forward, the renewals on Maintenance Subs is just for Maya, and you have to use your older "Maya with Softimage" license to run Softimage. Essentially, two licenses, but only one is moving forward. I would keep your "Maya with Softimage" license handy to use Softimage and it is still perpetual. I assume the same with be for those who chose the "Max with Softimage" route instead.

Bullit wrote:Autodesk said at time after a lot of protests that you could remain in Softimage forever, irrespective of what happened with other applications.
That is exactly what I assumed as well, but I just wanted to be sure before I installed Maya 2017 in case something changed.

luceric wrote:You were always going to be getting a separate Maya license. Maya 2017 isn't programmed to look for a "Softimage with Maya 2016" license, just like it isn't programmed to look for a Maya 2016, Create Suite 2016, or any other 2016-numbered license. Products are only programmed to look for current year license.

This is why there was a Softimage 2015 R2 : a new build of 2015 was needed to make it look for 2016-numbered license instead of 2015. So in the future, you need to have installed both the Softimage with Maya license, just to run Softimage, and then the latest Maya license to run the latest version of Maya.
Thank you for the information. At the time, I was under the impression that "Maya with Softimage" was going to be a continued SKU at its onset for the transition, and that was going to run for a while. I just wanted to be sure when I saw products with Subs contract changing in the background a few times. Thanks for the explanation.

jamination

Post by jamination » 02 Aug 2016, 20:27

so tell me if my understanding of this is wrong, you get your new licenses for maya or the suite and you append them onto your licenses you have for previous last year "with softimage".
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 03 Aug 2016, 04:17

jamination wrote:so tell me if my understanding of this is wrong, you get your new licenses for maya or the suite and you append them onto your licenses you have for previous last year "with softimage".
From what I understood during my conversation with Autodesk, is that you don't get a new license for your "Maya with Softimage" bundle, as that is discontinued and replaced with Maya 2017. You can just use your last license that was given for "Maya with Softimage" to run Softimage, now and into the future. That would be the "Maya with Softimage" (Maya 2016/2016.5 and Softimage 2015 R2). Now, if you are on Subs you should be able to still use the license that you had for the older versions if you need to go back to a previous version or something, but I just inquired about the forward direction.

The new license that you get is only for Maya 2017 (or Max 2017 if you chose that route instead). This is a new license that only runs Maya 2017 and is the only license that will be under your Maintenance Subs moving forward for renewal. From what I understand, the older "Maya with Softimage" SKU no longer exists within Autodesk, and that last current license issued for "Maya with Softimage" is perpetual. Which, from my understanding, lasts as long as hardware, OS's, or whatever business related things, happen out of our control. And I'm understanding Autodesk helps as much as possible to keep those going for us since we own them, and helps us out with those licenses in case there is an issue. It should behave the same as if one decided to not go into the transition plan and just stopped Subs with Softimage only.

In Summary: It should show both a "Maya with Softimage" license and a "Maya 2017" license in your Autodesk account. You received a new license to run Maya 2017 - and into the future - that is the only one on Maintenance Subs for renewal, and your older "Maya with Softimage" license just sits for you to use when you want for Softimage - both are perpetual. If you are on Maintenance Subs, and if you decide to quit 3D five years down the road, both are still owned by you and are still perpetual.

I hope this helps as it was confusing for me too. The way Maurice explained it to me over the phone was really nicely put and made me feel better moving forward. So, hopefully I didn't hack-it-up too much with me trying to explain it here. :)

*The above is assuming one is on "Classic" Maintenance Subs and not the new "Rental" subs.
Last edited by Rez007 on 03 Aug 2016, 04:36, edited 3 times in total.

DanielGTG

Post by DanielGTG » 05 Aug 2016, 17:24

Hey everyone,

If you've successfully transitioned to a "Maya with Softimage" perpetual license and have stayed current on your maintenance subscription then that license entitlement will remain. If you were moved over to "Maya 2017" exclusively then that is an error on our backend and is something i know that team is actively addressing as we speak.

What you should receive is a new "Maya 2017 with Softimage" serial number (network or standalone depending on what your chose) that is intended to activate your new Maya 2017 installation. That serial number doesn't work with Softimage 2015 R2, that serial number/license is still available to you via 'previous version' support and only to those with the "Maya with Softimage" entitlement. I know this is confusing but it will all sort itself out asap.

The only legitimate situation that would forced to a "Maya 2017" only entitlement is if you fall off of your maintenance subscription for a prolonged period of time (i.e you're not current on your subscription and chose not to renew).

Thanks
Daniel
Daniel Tutino-Galletti
Maya Product Manager

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 05 Aug 2016, 18:18

DanielGTG wrote:Hey everyone,

If you've successfully transitioned to a "Maya with Softimage" perpetual license and have stayed current on your maintenance subscription then that license entitlement will remain. If you were moved over to "Maya 2017" exclusively then that is an error on our backend and is something i know that team is actively addressing as we speak.

What you should receive is a new "Maya 2017 with Softimage" serial number (network or standalone depending on what your chose) that is intended to activate your new Maya 2017 installation. That serial number doesn't work with Softimage 2015 R2, that serial number/license is still available to you via 'previous version' support and only to those with the "Maya with Softimage" entitlement. I know this is confusing but it will all sort itself out asap.

The only legitimate situation that would forced to a "Maya 2017" only entitlement is if you fall off of your maintenance subscription for a prolonged period of time (i.e you're not current on your subscription and chose not to renew).

Thanks
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting here, but it seems different from what Maurice and I talked about over the phone a few days ago...maybe that was not known at the time. The only issue that I find in your post, is perhaps just the semantics of one part, is when you say we have access to Softimage 2015 R2 only if we are actively on Maintenance - because you said 'previous version support'. If we decide to end CG or our Maintenance, lets say 5 years down the road, we still have Perpetual licenses and Access to that latest version of Maya (the version at the time we end our Maintenance), and Softimage 2015 R2 indefinitely, correct? As that is what it should be and told.

I was switched to Maya 2017 solely, and I am current on Maintenance, so I am probably one of the ones that you are speaking about. Although, I was told that the "Maya with Softimage" SKU no longer exists within Autodesk. Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DanielGTG

Post by DanielGTG » 05 Aug 2016, 19:43

Rez007 wrote:
DanielGTG wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting here, but it seems different from what Maurice and I talked about over the phone a few days ago...maybe that was not known at the time. The only issue that I find in your post, is perhaps just the semantics of one part, is when you say we have access to Softimage 2015 R2 only if we are actively on Maintenance - because you said 'previous version support'. If we decide to end CG or our Maintenance, lets say 5 years down the road, we still have Perpetual licenses and Access to that latest version of Maya (the version at the time we end our Maintenance), and Softimage 2015 R2 indefinitely, correct? As that is what it should be and told.

I was switched to Maya 2017 solely, and I am current on Maintenance, so I am probably one of the ones that you are speaking about. Although, I was told that the "Maya with Softimage" SKU no longer exists within Autodesk. Clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The fact that you were switched to Maya 2017 solely but were still current on maintenance is the problem I was referring to.

And yes, the "Maya with Softimage" SKU no longer exists for any NEW transactions
For example:
1) you never transitioned in the first place or
2) You fell off of your maintenance for a prolonged period of time and then need to purchase a NEW subscription (the only NEW Subscription available in your case would be "Maya" solely)

The maintenance renewal SKU for "Maya with Softimage" is still and will continue to be available so you're covered.

In your example 5 years down the road, if you decide it's time to retire or change profession entirely (anything is possible in 5 years :)
and then drop off maintenance, all of your perpetual licenses will remain working. We can't touch those licenses.

"Previous version support" is not new and is a benefit of subscription which still entitles you to access past version licenses should you need to re-active them.

e.g your purchases a new subscription for 3ds Max 2017 but also want access to 3ds Max 2015 on the same computer.

In the standalone/node-locked license scenario you need to request/receive a serial number . If you're using a network license then that previous version support is already factored in to your primary network license file.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Daniel
Daniel Tutino-Galletti
Maya Product Manager

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 05 Aug 2016, 21:56

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for the clarification. So, moving forward it would be:

1.) The "Maya 2017 with Softimage" License would be used to run Maya 2017.

and

2.) The "Maya 2016 with Softimage" License would be used to run Softimage 2015 R2.

and

3.) If we change professions and/or discontinue Maintenance Subs 5+ years from now (I have a Network license), we would then use "Maya 20XX with Softimage" License to run the last version of Maya given to us, and still use the "Maya 2016 with Softimage" License to run Softimage 2015 R2, indefinitely.

I am assuming the above is the summary you are stating, correct? Thanks again, and sorry for the continued questioning, but with all of the back end things going on in my account that I noticed, I just want to verify. Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.

DanielGTG

Post by DanielGTG » 06 Aug 2016, 02:30

Happy to help and yes your summary is accurate.

Since you're using a network license you'll notice that the line beginning with "PACKAGE" is the main string for the current release (e.g MAYAS_2017 if i remember correctly) and then you will see additional strings for 'previous versions' (e.g 2016, 2015 etc...)

Going forward, as long as you have a 2016 string in your network license you will be able to launch Softimage 2015 R2.

Thanks
Daniel
Daniel Tutino-Galletti
Maya Product Manager

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 06 Aug 2016, 02:51

DanielGTG wrote:Happy to help and yes your summary is accurate.

Since you're using a network license you'll notice that the line beginning with "PACKAGE" is the main string for the current release (e.g MAYAS_2017 if i remember correctly) and then you will see additional strings for 'previous versions' (e.g 2016, 2015 etc...)

Going forward, as long as you have a 2016 string in your network license you will be able to launch Softimage 2015 R2.

Thanks
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for clarifying the situation and affirming my scenario. I totally missed an email Maurice sent me earlier today, since our conversation, about the Maya 2017 error and fix that was found. Sorry if I added to the confusion at all. Thanks Again!

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 16 Aug 2016, 18:09

Hi Daniel,

I had a quick question. Do you know by chance if there is going to be a "Maya with Softimage 2017" Physical Media available to get from Autodesk? Currently, only the 2016 is available. Thank you.