new Wiki for Softimage?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

new Wiki for Softimage?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Sep 2016, 09:15

As the original Wiki for Softimage will be closed soon, I was wondering how you all would feel about setting up a new one to preserve all knowledge about our beloved legacy software in one place. This would only be useful, if enough people would be willing to participate, so that is why I want to discuss this first... The idea would be to create a truly "open to all"-Wiki, but this would be rather pointless, unless enough people are "on board".
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Manticor

Re: new Wiki for Softimage?

Post by Manticor » 13 Sep 2016, 13:52

I would be interested in this. A centralised location where all information / tutorials and plugin link could be accessed.
I'm willing to contribute towards costs, I'm sure other people would be aswell.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 13 Sep 2016, 19:15

The idea is best thing that can happen atm, cause a new updated wiki, with new interesting content, will regroup all SI users, but like all projects it needs some planning, contributors will jump in if they realize that is a nice effort.

But the project should not be considered utopia from day 1. So i would say that the guys in charge need to ensure that they attempt something doable. Towards that direction, i would suggest :
  • Focus only on versions that are used most nowadays
  • Similar category's to previous wiki
  • Migrate a considerable amount of content from previous wiki and edit afterwards
---
Also im more in to classic wikis style what about you guys, i could definitely contribute.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Sep 2016, 09:52

Owei and me are currently thinking of preserving the old wiki. Owei has graciously offered to host this archive, but details have to be worked out after the Übertage, as that obviously now is a priority for Owei... We will have to look into opening it up again with public contributions, if possible...
;)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 14 Sep 2016, 16:55

That would be awesome

So you guys planning a meeting with the guy who created it (Nicolas Leduc)?
+ you will have all source intact, thx to Maurice Patel?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Sep 2016, 17:01

That's the plan, but the details are still unclear. Nicolas Leduc will contact us next week (after the Übertage) to hopefully sort everything out. One thing that is still very much unclear to me is the legal question about ownership and usage rights of the old content...

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 14 Sep 2016, 17:34

If there's any manual/repetitive or tricky tasks, problems to solve (or whatever) let me know!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Sep 2016, 23:08

Last wednesday Owei and I had our first online meeting with Nicolas Leduc, who was very helpful.
There are still some important issues that need to be resolved but I am confident everything will work out nicely eventually and we will indeed be able to preserve the wiki...
;)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 01 Oct 2016, 00:23

Finally some good news!

Even with "old" content is a fresh start any changes you guys have in mind?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Oct 2016, 08:29

We are looking into the possibility to "open" it up again, making it a true wiki once more, where everyone can contribute...;)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 01 Oct 2016, 20:25

Hirazi Blue wrote:We are looking into the possibility to "open" it up again, making it a true wiki once more, where everyone can contribute...;)
:-bd , plus change that announcing AD Softimage 2013 image at main page!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Oct 2016, 11:29

Funny story: the mention of the "final release announcement" was edited in by myself.
They didn't even bother to update it themselves at the time... :-?

Draise

Post by Draise » 03 Oct 2016, 18:20

Would be cool to go through some of my favorite little threads here and turn them into articles in the wiki I suppose!

luceric

Post by luceric » 06 Oct 2016, 17:54

Hirazi Blue wrote:Funny story: the mention of the "final release announcement" was edited in by myself.
They didn't even bother to update it themselves at the time... :-?
I thought it was not essential to do that, and surprised editing was still possible at that point. I respect that it's part of the mourning process around the product, though. What they should have posted IMHO is an EOL note of the wiki itself, in 2013 (calendar year) and change the robot.txt to get it out of google index, because it comes up before the official, often updated and better doc, on many topics.

The last thing that happened was that a documentation intern in Singapore uploaded some release note or doc, thinking to be helpful, as the same time as it got uploaded to the official site. On the official site, it gets published days later in time for the launch, but on the wiki it was immediate. One of the rare monthly visitors saw that and posted the yet unannounced product's features on the forum. Immediately, people internally wonder what the hell was this wiki and why there was a duplicate docs and support article there, old confusing info, who's in charge and maintaining that, etc. It all stopped at that moment. I don't think there was new content in there, that wasn't also published in the official site and docs, after 2010, 16 years ago. The wiki often comes up before in searches, though, so people may think it's the main source.
Last edited by luceric on 07 Oct 2016, 15:43, edited 2 times in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Oct 2016, 10:43

As it turns out we are not going to host the Softimage Wiki.
We received the following mail from Nicolas Leduc yesterday:
I had a discussion with the legal team and the transfer is more complicated than I expected from a legal perspective. So I had other internal discussions and we agreed to keep the wiki alive on the current servers as it is today, instead of spending time discussing legal contracts and moving the wiki. Let me know if you have any question.
Well at least this means the Wiki will be preserved... :-?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Oct 2016, 20:38

Huh!..

I was about to ask if search results in an entirely new localtion would show-up on the first page (or so) of searches, or if results would only show up in the first pages after multiple hits.

Because current wiki search result relevance greately exceed any other (including docs) which I found to be invaluable to have them right there when making all sorts of queries

it's beyond me why foresaking it might be desired, other than for similar reasons for foresaking SI itself.

Nevertheless, glad to see that some reasoning can go through!