XSI 7 licensing question

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
iMax

XSI 7 licensing question

Post by iMax » 03 Feb 2017, 19:58

Hi,

I am still a proud owner of XSI 7, which I have not been using for some time now, but I am looking to start playing around with it again, as there are still some things I would like to play around with, like ICE. As I am a hobbyist, I guess it offers still more than enough for my needs.
My idea was to install it on my notebook, to take it with me for my holidays, as I have the USB dongle, which I thought was enough to license it. After the installation, it requested a license file, which I then remembered I had to download. Now that I do not think that those license activation servers are still running, I have two questions, which I hope somebody could shed some light on:

1) is there any way to still get a license file for a second computer to use XSI 7 on?

2) how is this license file or computer ID actually calculated? I have upgraded my computer with XSI twice (Windows 7 and 10) and also swapped out CPU, mainboard and RAM. Is there any point where I should expect the existing license to break and stop working?

luceric

Re: XSI 7 licensing question

Post by luceric » 06 Feb 2017, 21:25

I don't really know anything about this licensing stuff, but if you say that you have a USB dongle, then the license is tied to that dongle. But the license is not actually stored on the dongle, it's in a database on the PC, probably in c:\SPM
You can read the license guide here for FaceRobot, it's the same thing for Softimage http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/ima ... _Setup.pdf

cristiano.policarpo

Post by cristiano.policarpo » 10 Feb 2017, 22:59

We have run some XSI 7 Advanced licenses with dongles in Windows 7. But for that we have backup the spm-kf files from the corresponding dongle and added this to C:\spm. Maybe you can try to find your spm-kf file from your old installation.

Cheers,
Cristiano
Cristiano Policarpo
Wireshape
https://wireshape.net

iMax

Post by iMax » 11 Feb 2017, 22:39

Thank you both for your replies!

After returning from holiday, without XSI, I now gave it another try.

Yes, I did try to install my key file previously, which failed with a "wrong hostid" message.
Reading through the setup guide, it reminded me of a licensing support question I had a couple of years ago. Digging through my old emails I indeed found the answer:

After a new installation the license manager defaults to non-dongle mode (apparently requiring a matching key file for the hostid). Switching it to dongle mode, it happily accepted my key file eventually. So no excuses anymore to not learn more about XSI, even if a bit late. ;-)

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 27 Feb 2017, 04:40

there´s a well nourished ICE threads up in here. ehhehheheh.
fire away your questions. ;)