It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 10:23

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 02:49 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2009, 21:51
Posts: 30
A small mention but a juicy one.

Quote:
Also, we were planning to support Softimage first for obvious reasons (ICE), not Maya, but that could change in the future.


Source : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6637328&postcount=1153

Moderator edit: please use the URL tags - HB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 09:25 
Offline

Joined: 24 Aug 2009, 07:38
Posts: 46
Jesse wrote:
A small mention but a juicy one.

Quote:
Also, we were planning to support Softimage first for obvious reasons (ICE), not Maya, but that could change in the future.


Source : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6637328&postcount=1153

Moderator edit: please use the URL tags - HB


Wow!!!! Just wow!! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 21:55 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 18:52
Posts: 26
Krakatoa is nice.

Although I'd point out that Softimage now has Fury. Fury is a GPU-accelerated point renderer. It is currently available as part of SlipstreamVX, which you can try out here:

http://www.exocortex.com/simulation/slipstreamvx

Fury will be available as a standalone plugin in the near future so keep your eyes open.

Here are some Fury videos, many of which feature real-time results:







Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 14:32 
Offline

Joined: 24 Aug 2009, 07:38
Posts: 46
Fury is awesome! Specially it's realtime features, DOF etc.

But I'm sorry, it's not even close to THIS!



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 15:17 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 18:52
Posts: 26
satyajit wrote:
Fury is awesome! Specially it's realtime features, DOF etc.
But I'm sorry, it's not even close to THIS!


I actually was the original author of Krakatoa and I also was the one that proposed its creation, so I am glad you like Krakatoa. :-)

Fury right now is equivalent in terms of features (but way faster in terms of speed) to the first internal version of Krakatoa, which was used successfully on Cursed (2005), and Stay (2006). The only thing that Fury is currently missing with regards to render effects that is demonstrated in that video you linked to is self-shadowing/volumetric lighting, which are two sides of the same coin.

Although Matthias Müller of course did some awesome PFlow work that makes the animations spectacular, and he also imported some really nice FumeFX simulations.

I'll put some more resources towards Fury in the next little while because I think there is an opportunity for a fully GPU-accelerated self-shadowing/volumetric lighting framework.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 05:39 
Offline

Joined: 24 Aug 2009, 07:38
Posts: 46
bhouston wrote:
satyajit wrote:
Fury is awesome! Specially it's realtime features, DOF etc.
But I'm sorry, it's not even close to THIS!


I actually was the original author of Krakatoa and I also was the one that proposed its creation, so I am glad you like Krakatoa. :-)

Fury right now is equivalent in terms of features (but way faster in terms of speed) to the first internal version of Krakatoa, which was used successfully on Cursed (2005), and Stay (2006). The only thing that Fury is currently missing with regards to render effects that is demonstrated in that video you linked to is self-shadowing/volumetric lighting, which are two sides of the same coin.

Although Matthias Müller of course did some awesome PFlow work that makes the animations spectacular, and he also imported some really nice FumeFX simulations.

I'll put some more resources towards Fury in the next little while because I think there is an opportunity for a fully GPU-accelerated self-shadowing/volumetric lighting framework.



Wow! You guys did the Karakatoa? ^:)^

I think Self shadowing and shadows on objects are absolutely vital. Also, handling the volume texture of the particles. AfterBurn is quite nice on this. XSI Particle volume shader is not that good. In AB you can create a nebula tweaking textures of 5 big particles.

I've said this many times in the forums. As a particle system, ICE is way ahead than Pflow or FumeFx. Lots of options. But hey, it's the final render that matters. Until and unless we get a particle shader/renderer that is competent to Krakatoa or Fume or AB, we have to port to Max and render.

Fury has the promise! Looking forward for the updates.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 14:23 
Offline

Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 18:47
Posts: 7
Any news on this front ... seems to have stalled out. The only renderer I see doing self shadowing is Mootzoids emRenderPointCloud and I do not think it can obtain the quality of krakatoa or fume.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 15:07 
Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 18:43
Posts: 411
mdonovan wrote:
Any news on this front ... seems to have stalled out.

Check the Exocortex channel on Vimeo. Fury 2 is in beta, and it's shaping up nicely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 05:32 
Offline

Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 17:06
Posts: 128
Schmexy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Krakatoa planning to support Softimage next?
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 19:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 15:45
Posts: 880
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHfTkfLe-iw&feature=player_embedded#!

i wonder what happened to the Softimage support. I guess they dropped the ball and went with Maya


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group