Mesh doesn't follow rig ...

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Pancho

Mesh doesn't follow rig ...

Post by Pancho » 19 Sep 2011, 13:45

... except from the first frame. There the mesh moves, but then it stands still.

I don't get it. The rig should be able to deform more than one object?! Actually it does already deform two objects, although the second object is a copy of the first one.

The mesh (which doesn't deform) got envelopes, a static_kinestate, so why doesn't it get deformed always, only on the first frame (the first frame when the play button gets pressed)?

I can't see a difference between what I did with the first mesh which does deform and this one. The envelope operator is enabled, so I don't get it. Is there somewhere a button which needs to be enabled ("deform on every frame")?

My rig is based on nulls, deformed with ICE. The rig gets deformed in the simulation stack.

Anybody who can help? I'm really frustrated, as I need to finish this project instantly.

Thanks for any advice or tip!!!

Pancho

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Mesh doesn't follow rig ...

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Sep 2011, 14:28

I assume you checked that all the references in your ICE Tree were set to "self"/"this" before copying your ICE Tree, i.e. that there is no "rogue" reference in your copy that still points to the original mesh.
:-\
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 19 Sep 2011, 14:35

Actually ther's nothing I could copy. All is placed in one model.

I do have a null object with both ICE trees. One Init and one Eval. First in the pre-sim stack, second in the simultion stack.

All envelope nulls also are part of this model. Its root is simply a child of the model.

So are the meshes.

At one point I set an envelope for my main mesh, selecting all the nulls (rig) which get deformed by the ICE tree.

And it worked and still does. So the meshes don't have any logical connection neither to the ice tree, nor to the rig, except that the envelop uses the nulls. But there aren't any other links like parenting or ICEing going on.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 21 Sep 2011, 14:17

O.k., I was digging a bit deeper and realized that the bunny in the ICE examples scenes does have its own ICE tree which deforms it. Actually the envelope operator is disabled, so only the ICE deforms apply.

So far I didn't need this custom ICE deformer, as I didn't disable the envelope operator yet. And so far it did work. The rig deformed my mesh.

But as I said, this doesn't work all the time if I bring in additional geometry, use GATOR to copy the envelope and the hope that the mesh gets deformed. It doesn't.

So I tried to go the way as seen in the rabbit rig example, added the deformer to my mesh and it worked. Kind of, as the mesh goes in all directions, but not the one which it should go.

I found out, that the custom BoneID attribute of each defomer (null) and the envelope deformer indices attribute are out of sink.

So the envelope on the mesh points refers to deformers which arent responsible for this region. But how do I get these back into sync? I spent quite a lot of time to tune this envelope, so I wouldn't like to start over again to paint it.

Point is, whenever you bring in new bones to enhance the rig, your Bone IDs might change, as they get recalculated.

So this may be the point, where Softimage looses the connection between envelope and deformers.

But how can I fix this? Easily?