Gear_mc workflow question

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Pancho

Gear_mc workflow question

Post by Pancho » 18 Dec 2013, 13:37

In case I've create a guide, transformed it into a rig, enveloped everything nicely and then realize that I either want to change the placement of some guides slightly or need to add deformers (e.g. for a tail) or exchange them (e.g. arm guide for a leg guide).

How do I do this without loosing the nice envelope which cost me hours (days?)? What would be the correct workflow for this? As soon as I delete the current rig, the envelope disappears on my mesh. Is there a way to update the current rig? Or do I need to create a second rig and then somehow exchange the envelope? In case there are more deformers in the new rig then before, how does the envelope not gets screwed up?

If somebody could supply me with the correct way to do this I'd be more than happy!

Cheers!

mattmos

Re: Gear_mc workflow question

Post by mattmos » 18 Dec 2013, 15:14

I'm pretty sure there are ways to save out the envelope within gear as an xml file, but I normally just export the envelope weights as a preset, and re-apply on the updated rig (apply basic env using new env group, then load preset from weight editor). This works fine if you're not adding extra deformers. Extra tail parts can set env without re-assigning env, then select tail points and re-assign locally.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 20 Dec 2013, 00:29

Hi Matt,

thanks for the answer. What I managed so far is to transfer the envelope weight from one mesh to the other via an ICE "Gator". I copied EnvelopeDeformerIndices, Envelope Weights and Envelope Weights Per Deform for one mesh to the other. I guess as soon as there are more or less deformers in a rig, the indices will get screwed up, at least if I try to manage it this way.

If you refer to updating: Is there a way to update the rig or do you just generate a new rig, transform the weights and then delete the old one?

Cheers!

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 20 Dec 2013, 11:00

With GEAR its normally easier to update the guide and rebuild the whole rig, and delete the old version.

Copying the envelope weights in the weight editor, if there are more deformers it basically ignores them or that part of the mesh, until you add them into the envelope afterwards. If the mesh indicies are scrambled though yer out of luck.