bicep and forearm roll

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
missingkey

Re: bicep and forearm roll

Post by missingkey » 10 Jan 2014, 21:50

Okay I think Im understanding you right. Your picture basically illustrates the nature of my flipping around it's X axis. I should be getting 360 both directions right?

I'm really not sure how to apply what's in the bottom of your ICE tree, here's my weak attempt, it doesn't work. I'd really like to understand it, and get it working. The vector going into your normalize node, is just a 2d vector. what would I use in my case. The bicep bones X vector? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, lol.
Attachments
ArcTan2.png

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Jan 2014, 22:42

missingkey wrote:Okay I think Im understanding you right. Your picture basically illustrates the nature of my flipping around it's X axis. I should be getting 360 both directions right?
well, no... this is just something I had before. I posted it more as an example how you can create a visual helper. If you're not sure, find some way to visualize it.
missingkey wrote:I'm really not sure how to apply what's in the bottom of your ICE tree, here's my weak attempt, it doesn't work. I'd really like to understand it, and get it working. The vector going into your normalize node, is just a 2d vector. what would I use in my case. The bicep bones X vector? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, lol.
For arc tan2 input, I think it will be much easier figure out, if you use the result of 'rotate vector', while this rotation is "relative" to something - that is, narrowed down to "local" rotation.

missingkey

Post by missingkey » 10 Jan 2014, 23:38

I think the arcTan2 setup may be a bit over my head right now. I'm still trying to figure out comparing the two angles. I'm actually not sure, will this only give me a total of 360 degrees before flipping. So -180, and +180 values going into my roll divisions? or should I be able to get -360 and +360 values?

here's where my flipping happens currently. So if my upVector translations defaults at ( 4, 0, -4 ) the flipping happens when I move the upvector between ( 4, 1, 4 ) & ( 4, -1, 4 ) - if that makes sense.
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png

missingkey

Post by missingkey » 12 Jan 2014, 20:33

Okay, I think I understand this now. What I have is right (like how you suggested) It's just a little different from your nodes in that it gives me -180 to +180, instead of 0 to 360. which is perfect.

What I'd really like to figure out now, is how to get -360 to +360 twist before flipping. I was under the impression I'd be able to do this with quaternions, But It's not easy for me to figure out.

missingkey

Post by missingkey » 13 Jan 2014, 19:31

Well the previous setup i thought was working well, was actually giving some popping nonsense. Using the dot products and the arctan2 of those seemed to stop any popping, and everything is nice and smooth.
Attachments
ArcTan2.png