adding controller after rigging

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
hidalgo

adding controller after rigging

Post by hidalgo » 17 Jan 2014, 13:28

Hello people

i wanted to ask how can i add additional controllers to a character once it as already being rigged? i am using gear, but i find out i would like to have some more controllers especially on the arms and the legs without screwing the original rig.

thanks for the help

SpookyMunky

Re: adding controller after rigging

Post by SpookyMunky » 17 Jan 2014, 14:12

You should be fine, really depends on what you want to add I guess :) the rig is a lot less prone to accidental breakage than most I think, never really gone nuts on it though. That being said it is breakable hehe, so save often :P

Edit: actually thats maybe a bit harsh saying its breakable.. hmm, its usually external issues with python or something that gets me.. or something he's missed and then fixed when its been mentioned hehe.. should be fine ;)

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 17 Jan 2014, 14:36

Actually i did the usual process, taking a null added in the hierarchy and add it as local refinement in the envelope, but for some reasons the mesh doesnt deform according the new deformer for some reasons..

SpookyMunky

Post by SpookyMunky » 17 Jan 2014, 14:40

doesnt deform atall ? or a deformation that isnt expected ? :)some of the arm controllers were a bit odd in the past, had to jump througha couple hoops.. thought that was fixed though..

remember to add any new controllers to the goups etc gear creates ?

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 17 Jan 2014, 14:50

Did you do the usual process of adding it to the envelope with automatic weighting off, then paint the influence in? That normally works for me with any kind of rig.

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 17 Jan 2014, 17:27

Actually yes, i add the deformers, but i dont get any results at all..

@mattmos yes paint the influence manually with weightin off

SpookyMunky

Post by SpookyMunky » 20 Jan 2014, 01:29

I have to say, you have left me stumped, sorry :)... made a quick vid to show how I do it..

.. as you can see, once running set deformers again they should be added to the list selectable from within weight editor / just down the left hand list for selected object and not give an error when you pick them for local reassign. I'm not sure what is going wrong on your end...possibly the actual mesh's stack has become a bit corrupt ?.

One quick way to create a new mesh with a hopefully clean stack is to merge the mesh with a cube (making sure its set to 0 as the distance for actually merging points), transfer all data (click on all 3 transfer options) then delete the cube polys, freeze modelling stack.. dunno how much good it does, I try that after manually attempting to freeze everything and still being stuck with an odd bug, just to be sure I have eliminated most other variables.. Another option if that doesn't work is to select all polys and hit Model - Create - Poly.Mesh - Extract Polygons(keep), freeze the new mesh completely then gator it to the original (transferring everything like with the merge) and freeze modelling stack.

best o luck :), if you still have issues there are other ways to try and keep work that has been done intact, but using export and import etc hehe, it's really dredging the bottom of my barrel o tricks tho :P

Edit: one thing to note I guess is make sure you have vertices/ponts selected when local re-assigning things to a new deformer since I don't think poly / edge selections work. If you want to use polys or edges for speeds sake, select them first then hit "select - select adjacent - points" before clicking local reassign.. weight editor I think works fine with edges / polys no matter what... (though you need to set weight editor to display all controllers the mesh has like I have in the vid if you want to use it solely to add in the extra deformers)

SpookyMunky

Post by SpookyMunky » 20 Jan 2014, 03:27

I felt a bit bad dropping what is basically a "Link With" tutorial scene half way through ;), not relevant to your post at all really, sorry ...

..In case anyone is interested in what the 2 controllers I added could be used for, for arms I think more common is to use curves with deformers arranged along them to get nicer shapes / twisting action. I'm a bit rusty since personally its the kind of thing I moved to xsi to escape from and love the 90%(ish) control that shape deform keys give me... never hurts to brush up though :)

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 20 Jan 2014, 09:43

Hey, thank you for taking the time to do the tutorials SpookyMunky, much apreciated...

thing is i am sure my characters have somethings wrong, cause i was already doing the same process, but i am sure now that its a bug coming from have switch 3 different versione of xsi and 2 of gear along the way :D

i know its a bad move, but i had too...so i will do it old fashion way....redoing the rig from scratch!! OMG

great videos indedd..

SpookyMunky

Post by SpookyMunky » 20 Jan 2014, 09:50

No worries hehe, I was starting to suspect something was properly wrong before I made the vid, its all a case of rule out the obvious though ! :). have you tried the tricks I outlined under the first video post ?, starting

"One quick way to create a new mesh with a hopefully clean stack is to" ....

if neither of those tricks help, not really sure what you can do hehe. I don't mind having a look at your scene, no issue signing nda if needed. Hate to see someone potentially have to redo everything, sigh to hell and back have I been there in the past ! :)

SpookyMunky

Post by SpookyMunky » 20 Jan 2014, 10:03

generally when something goes this kinda wrong I find it a case of trying to seperate the parts I have, polygon data / envelope weights, then try to combine again into a new mesh, those tricks I mentioned are the fastest ways I have found, there are others though. The rig is the 3rd part but that can be brought in later :)

hidalgo

Post by hidalgo » 20 Jan 2014, 15:43

thanks, i will let you know for sure ;)