Default Biped Rig "Reset Actor" Left Leg broken?...

Issues concerning rigging & Face Robot...
Superpositivo

Default Biped Rig "Reset Actor" Left Leg broken?...

Post by Superpositivo » 10 Feb 2014, 03:48

Softimage 2014 Sp1

1 - Get > Primitive > Model > Body - Man
2 - Get > Primitive > Model > Biped - Rig
3 - Set Envelope the Mesh to the Rig.
4 - Move whatever, an arm, an effector, whatever.
5 - Reset Actor
6 - Weirdness...
Attachments
Weirdness.JPG

Mathaeus

Re: Default Biped Rig "Reset Actor" Left Leg broken?...

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Feb 2014, 10:34

Hello,

If 'reset actor' means command from animate> envelope panel, this one is only for very very simple setup, without constraints or anything more complex. I think it tries to put the deformers back to neutral pose, that's all. I think the limit of this command is already described in help.
"Reset" from synoptic is supposed to work, as it applies the entire action from mixer, to everything involved.
In any case, you want to have some animated parameters (that is, keys) to get the proper response from SI. "Real" state is what you get by going to another frame in timeline, not what you have immediately.

By the way, what's reason to use the factory biped, once thing like Gear is on the road. Built-in biped rig seems to be more a demonstrator of XSI 3 or 4 features, SCOPs and so - not really something to use in everyday work. To much of additional, unnecessary stuff in it.

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 10 Feb 2014, 11:09

Thank for your response.

Well, I found it useful and fast for many fast tasks.
Before it worked correctly.
I guess it's broken the MDL Rig Loaded. Probably changing it in its default folder with one from a previous version (2013) would do the trick. Infact, older projects with the same Biped Rig don't have problems.

And yeah, Gear should be the default rigger in Softimage. But in different studios (like this one, that is not quite based on much animation), it's not installed, so I just don't put it on, to not create different projects. Thanks!

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 10 Feb 2014, 15:57

Yeah the 'Reset Actor' is only for when you're enveloping. It shouldn't be used to reset a character to it's default skinning pose. To do that you should use action clips to store and apply different poses.

The built in Biped rig is tremendously flawed and fragile beyond belief. I'm still surprised people still use it.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken