Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
mirkoj

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by mirkoj » 30 Dec 2013, 17:10

well you will have to wait for some time till openGL is even started, and till proper production ready implementation....
well lets just say that till then there will probably be 2nd or even 3rd generation of new GPUs so... if you are looking for Redshift card right now, go nVidia, if you
do not plan to update your computer for another 2-3 years and can wait for openGl well.. but it will take time...

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 31 Dec 2013, 00:22

mirkoj wrote:well you will have to wait for some time till openGL is even started, and till proper production ready implementation....
well lets just say that till then there will probably be 2nd or even 3rd generation of new GPUs so... if you are looking for Redshift card right now, go nVidia, if you
do not plan to update your computer for another 2-3 years and can wait for openGl well.. but it will take time...
I think you mean OpenCL not GL, right?
The reasons I'm buying 290/x and not 780/Ti is because better OpenGL performance, more ram (very useful in texturing apps and high-res games which I do play sometimes) and cheaper.
And no, I don't intend on using Redshift, at least not in the near future.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Leo

Post by Leo » 08 Jan 2014, 17:10

And now there is an officially announced card with a custom PCB for higher power delivery.
The MSI R9 290X Lightning. It is entirely unlocked for power delivery and has 2 8pin power connectors plus one 6pin power connecter.
That should be plenty to max out the card given enough cooling.

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 08 Jan 2014, 19:56

yea sorry I was talking about openCL..
True openGl performance with ATI is waaaay better then crippled nvidia. but unfortunaly if you wanna render GPU right now CUDA is only production ready solution I guess.
I've got 7970 just couse of waaay better openGL performance but then Redshift came along and....

And having 1 ati for view port and couple nvidias for rendering is not really perfect solution as mixed drivers does create bunch of problems... tried it...
But talking about openGL perofrmance.. got something really wierd.

My 4x Titan system (i7 3930k, 32 GB ram, ssd for system...) gets cinebench 15 openGL score of ~85.
My home comp with single 780 (i7 4770K, 16 GB ram, also ssd for system) is reaching ~140 openGL score

Now it doesn't matter that there are 4 titan cards ofc one is used but still way to big difference don;t you think?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 08 Jan 2014, 20:03

I don't think recent Nvidias have crippled OpenGL . I am seeing very decent performance from medium cards of 700 series.
I was very surprised by the Redshift tests so i think someone that bypasses it just because doesn't want a Nvidia is losing a very good solution to rendering

mirkoj

Post by mirkoj » 08 Jan 2014, 22:26

Just did that ol viewport test, cube 800x800something, shaded and play for rotation

titan: ~170 fps
780: ~245 fps

Go figure :)
But I'm suspecting something weird with my titan system for some time will have to test further but would be great if anyone with titan as well could run it too?
This old python script:
Application.CreatePrim("Cube", "MeshSurface", "", "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivu", 831, "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivv", 800, "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivbase", 800, "")
Application.SetValue("Camera.camvis.refreshrate", True, "")
Application.SetDisplayMode("Camera", "shaded")
Application.DeselectAll()
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Out", 5000, "")
Application.DeselectAll()
Application.GetPrim("Null", "", "", "")
Application.SelectObj("Camera_Root", "", "")
Application.CopyPaste("Camera_Root", "", "null", 1)
Application.SelectObj("null", "", "")
Application.SaveKey("null.kine.local.rotx,null.kine.local.roty,null.kine.local.rotz", 1, "", "", "", "", "")
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Key", 5000, "")
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Current", 5000, "")
Application.Rotate("", 0, 8000, 0, "siAbsolute", "siPivot", "siObj", "siY", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", 0, "")
Application.SaveKey("null.kine.local.rotx,null.kine.local.roty,null.kine.local.rotz", 5000, "", "", "", "", "")
Application.FirstFrame()

jamination

Post by jamination » 04 Feb 2014, 22:35

I am using Redshift and I am very happy with the early results, could some who has used Vray RT tell me if these are products are using the same concept (using the GPU to accelerate the rendering process).
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Feb 2014, 10:29

jamination wrote:I am using Redshift and I am very happy with the early results, could some who has used Vray RT tell me if these are products are using the same concept (using the GPU to accelerate the rendering process).
V-Ray RT uses GPU, but it's 'grainy' path - tracer only. Interpolation techniques, like light cache or irradiance map (irradiance map = final gather in MR), are not supported. Imho just these interpolation techniques are kind of V-Ray trademark. There are dozens of GPU path tracers all around. Blender Cycles, Octane, iRay, so on.

Redshift thing seems to be only one, able to run these fast interpolation methods on GPU, which itself is interesting, also a reason for great respect to creators, imho.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 15 Feb 2014, 05:05

I've kind of lost track of Redshift features, so I want to ask.
Does it yet have a volume shader for ice stuff?
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 15 Feb 2014, 07:48

I think Redshift is behind in ICE. Only now they are adding ICE stuff.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 15 Feb 2014, 08:46

Ah I see. Actually why is that all third party renderers are behind in ICE stuff? (or am I wrong?)
At least it's good to know they do. Thanks
Portfolio / Blog

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 15 Feb 2014, 13:46

I'm not sure I'd call them behind, its still in beta after all ;) ICE is all very proprietary, lots of special cases which need to be tackled one by one.

No volume shader stuff yet, but they have started implementing hair and strands, I think they're intending to have some kind of basic volume stuff in a month or so.

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 15 Feb 2014, 18:41

Strands and hair are now possible in Redshift.

They are still working in the hair shader, but their Redshift arch material looks great on hair.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

jamination

Post by jamination » 16 Feb 2014, 04:05

one thing i love about redshift is I can render an ambient occlusion pass on 1 computer much faster than running it with mental ray on my farm. I am looking foward to more ice support.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 16 Feb 2014, 12:44

jamination wrote:one thing i love about redshift is I can render an ambient occlusion pass on 1 computer much faster than running it with mental ray on my farm. I am looking foward to more ice support.
have you tryed the gpu ao from mr?
cant imagine it renders that slow compared to redshift.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 16 Feb 2014, 14:04

I just cant hear the word MentalRay any more. :(
Portfolio / Blog