Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
Bullit

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Bullit » 16 Feb 2014, 17:57

Kzin you are one of the best persons to make that comparison, you know Mentalray very well, and instaling Redshift is just registering and you have a demo to install.

I tested Redshift and was very surprised by the speed and quality. When they get ICE in it for attributes it would be amazing.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 16 Feb 2014, 18:05

He is already signed up, I remember some great render tests! Although RS has gone through quite a few changes since you last posted anything kzin, have you kept up with the versions? Some nice new stuff in there recently.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 16 Feb 2014, 18:10

Bullit wrote:Kzin you are one of the best persons to make that comparison, you know Mentalray very well, and instaling Redshift is just registering and you have a demo to install.

I tested Redshift and was very surprised by the speed and quality. When they get ICE in it for attributes it would be amazing.
i was in the redshift beta and did alot of tests, its a great render engine, better then mr for alot of every days stuff at the moment.
my comment should not make redshift bad.
but i wondered why using many machines to render ao in mr when you can use gpu ao. ;)

@mattmos:
i am a bit busy at the moment with other stuff, but i will take a look on the latest developement as soon as i have some time.

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 16 Feb 2014, 22:37

Latest beta release

To create something that does not exist, to exist.

jamination

Post by jamination » 16 Feb 2014, 22:39

can't say that i knew about the mental ray ao gpu shader, I shall have to try it to see how it compares.

I gave it a whirl (mr gpu) and god knows i could be doing it wrong, I read the manual and couldn't really glean much there. if it is a matter of just applying the ambient occlusion shader then activating the gpu acceleration I don't see any benefit. any input would be appreciated. The RS ambient is lightning fast.
Last edited by jamination on 17 Feb 2014, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 17 Feb 2014, 05:09

Well want to see the speed of Redshift swallowing 800,000 hairs.

To create something that does not exist, to exist.

Rork

Post by Rork » 17 Feb 2014, 10:01

I jumped in on a project a couple of weeks ago that was using RS for rendering, and was very impressed with stability and speed.

If they add the final ICE bits into the mix, RS will become even more a solid competitor for the existing renderers out there.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 19 Feb 2014, 02:36

Anyone can tell me if they plan open cl support any soon? :-ss

Elk head 800k hairs BF-GI 39.7?! secs :x

BenR

Post by BenR » 19 Feb 2014, 03:25

mc_axe wrote:Anyone can tell me if they plan open cl support any soon? :-ss

No. On the Redshift forums they said not to expect OpenCL support in the next several months.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 19 Feb 2014, 09:30

Can anybody inform us, when it finally renders strands with the correct color? The support guy told me a few weeks ago it should be on its way right now.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 19 Feb 2014, 12:03

It is already there i think.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 19 Feb 2014, 14:18

Afaik they are only supporting lofted strands atm, still waiting on segments to be fully supported.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 19 Feb 2014, 16:53

Thanks for correction.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 19 Feb 2014, 18:51

BenR wrote:
mc_axe wrote:Anyone can tell me if they plan open cl support any soon? :-ss

No. On the Redshift forums they said not to expect OpenCL support in the next several months.
:(( Ok ill start looking for new gpu then.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 19 Feb 2014, 19:15

Dude, got 2-300 bucks? That's enough for a start to happily render away.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 20 Feb 2014, 09:14

Strands!!! Strands!!! Oh - my - god! Soooooo, faaaaast!