Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
ActionArt

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by ActionArt » 04 May 2013, 17:29

Well I've had the exact opposite experience, maybe it has to do with your settings. But perhaps this is a conversation that should only be on the Redshift forum! Maybe you should respect their alpha testing process and request to have discussions only there until it is a released product. Remember, it's not even in beta testing yet.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 04 May 2013, 18:03

Yes, you right, apologize me, i was so excited about RED SHIFT that probably i pointed to much higher too early:)

I'll wait with the best hope RED SHIFT, and all the best to the RED SHIFT team!

Brake the wall! :D

origin

Post by origin » 04 May 2013, 23:05

What is slow, what is fast? What scene complexity? Exterior, interior? A car in exterior shot - a benchmark for all gpu renderers? ;)
If it takes second for octane to render a scene, why all the renders in their gallery are either supernoisy or noisy?
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31203 Thats 3 minutes, judging from grain it would take 10x more time to clean this up to slightly noisy image and hours to perfect one.

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 16 May 2013, 09:25

I second Action Art.

The Redshift team is simply awsome. I never had before the support and the willingness of hearing us, the final users, as the RedShift team.

I don't know of Octane as to my understandment, there is still no SI UI integration. And personally, I don't like to port scenes to an additional render app and resetup materials, lights, etc.

All I can say is that in my personal experience not only testing, but also using Redshift has been a walk on the clouds.

For me it's super fast, reliable and noise free. And the renders are impressive. It asks nothing from V-ray or Arnold and the setup is easy and seamless within Softimage. As I stated before is like having MR re-reloaded. It feels like home.
To create something that does not exist, to exist.

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 16 May 2013, 09:40

Super! i'm really excited to try it!
Thank you!

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 16 May 2013, 10:14

Cacoman wrote:I don't know of Octane as to my understandment, there is still no SI UI integration.
http://vimeo.com/user2509578/videos

It's coming ;)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 16 May 2013, 17:19

Yes it's coming since Octane was released. Just like V-ray for Softimage that took about half decade for the first release...

RS is here, is for Softimage and its working. :-bd

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 16 May 2013, 18:19

Octane is avaible for some platfor ,already in 3dsmax is integrated, and Maya too (if don't remember bad)
But i don't want compare RS with Octane, simply i suppose that every company have proper time to program a good integration with XSI. XSI have more stuff that are not quick to implemet, expecially with the RENDER TREE.

But by my way, ( i have OCTANE) but if price will permit me, i'll buy also REDSHITF. Beacsue i really need something integraeted.
I have to say, that the integration of XSI with Octane is taking more time.
Could be that RS come out before?

hehehe...

Ha ops, one question, if ia can: Can RS be used to bake texture with ultimapper? It will be usable for this? (because is a task that i do frequently and Ambient occlusion take looong time...)

face

Post by face » 17 May 2013, 02:02

Cacoman wrote:Yes it's coming since Octane was released. Just like V-ray for Softimage that took about half decade for the first release...
Not realy...
Coming since the SDK is available, a little bit over 1.5 years, when i remember correct.
It´s ever tricky to integrate a SDK which comes from outside. The developer of the SDK hasn´t any clue of the Softimage SDK. So there are many workarounds required, to get the result you want.
When all comes from one hand or the SDK develper knows what each application needs, then the developement should be faster.

Keep also in mind the time to convert all Octane shaders to make they ready to use with the render tree.
The integration uses only this shaders and wouldn´t work with MR ones, except the standard image, phong, lambert etc...

It´s not simple for one man which has a job, work in shifts and is 10hrs out of the home, to develop an integrated render solution. When you make a rough estimate of the time the man have per week, you should know how many time it take, to get a working render integration.
yashugan wrote:Ha ops, one question, if ia can: Can RS be used to bake texture with ultimapper? It will be usable for this? (because is a task that i do frequently and Ambient occlusion take looong time...)
At the moment there is no baking inside Octane possible. So much i know, it should coming.
Don´t know if any other unibased renderer can bake to textures...

face

steve3d

Post by steve3d » 17 May 2013, 10:13

Yes, technically, there no posible for a unbiased renderer to suport rendermap/ultramap feature in softimage, but as the website says redshift is a biased/unbiased hybird renderer, so should redshift support render to texture feature?

This is a important feature for those games development.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 17 May 2013, 11:17

Cacoman wrote:Yes it's coming since Octane was released. Just like V-ray for Softimage that took about half decade for the first release...

RS is here, is for Softimage and its working. :-bd
Yeah man, RedShift is sexy !

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 17 May 2013, 12:05

Face:

I am not blaming the man. In fact he (you), is one of Softimage heroes here.

What I am saying in other words is that nor Octane nor V-ray were interested in Softimage from the beggining. And Octane is still not interested... That is why you deserve all my respect trying to bring all by yourself Octane for Softimage.

We have more one man developments for Softimage than those of big companies. Thiago Costa, Ben Houston, Eric Mootz, You, etc., just to mention a few.

At this time I believe that Octane should have made some effort at least on helping you this dream come true.

I am one of the many guys following your progress. And what you have achieved in those in between shift times deserves a standing ovation.

So keep it up!

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 17 May 2013, 18:02

Cacoman wrote: what you have achieved in those in between shift times deserves a standing ovation.
So keep it up!
Thanks to him :-bd
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

yashugan

Post by yashugan » 26 Jun 2013, 08:59

some news about RED SHIFT?

Is a very silent period. There is some screen? Some new? some stuff to keep alive the curiosity? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 26 Jun 2013, 10:04

V-ray were interested in Softimage from the beggining
Vray was not interested because Softimage didn't had SDK or exposed SDK to add a render engine. They even developed when it was suboptimal and had to throw part of the work away because Softimage listened and started to expose, or add SDK. So it was not lack of will.

Cacoman

Post by Cacoman » 26 Jun 2013, 15:19

Well Redshift is still in its Alpha stage, but has already been used in production.

I was going to post how far it is now, but I believe that is for them to speak about it.

What I can say is that day by day something new is comming out, and more production work is being done with it even in its alpha stage.

It has been integrated into some pipelines.

And the Redshift team is listening to each one of our requests. IMHO, Redshift is going to KSA!

I've been lucky to catch them when they started looking for alpha testers!

If you want to see what is comming out from us, the testers, suff that we are allowed to show search in vimeo.

Here is one of the latest TV commercials I've been involved and the 3D is done in Softimage and Redshift.

And here is another shot with Softimage and Redshift. All CG.

In this last one the rack focus and motion blur is what comes out straight from Redshift. No post, except of course the audio.