Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
El Burritoh

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by El Burritoh » 12 Nov 2013, 17:45

Great interview! I can't wait for more people try it out. I think folks are really going to like it.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 17 Nov 2013, 12:50

Hi,
I've got into the beta, too... that renderer is just most promising!!
Are you guys already doing any production work with it? Stable and well integrated as it is, why not? Will the beta license expire soon again?

Cheers,
Eugen

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 17 Nov 2013, 16:50

I've done quite a bit with it, just industrial type stuff but high poly counts and difficult lighting. I'd say it's more stable than MR so yes, why not use it. If you do run into any problems, they usually fix it in days (instead of years). It's incredible.

Their licensing and beta plans are all on the forum. Free until the new year but very reasonable after that.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 17 Nov 2013, 19:49

Great, thanks!
I'll try and convert a VRay scene to RS now, using MM_ShaderTools. Let's see...

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 18 Nov 2013, 01:12

We've been using it too. For a studio our size, with the kind of jobs we get, it's great!
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

perryharovas

Post by perryharovas » 22 Nov 2013, 17:58

I used it on many productions, most recently on this one:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/inde ... deos-large

It rendered with the following specs:

-No lights used. Only luminous geometry to light the scene.
-Motion blur, DOF, Global Illumination (3 bounces) and raytraced reflections, even blurry reflections!
-Render times at HD 1080p were about 4 minutes per frame.
-Redshift Renderer (alpha) was the renderer, using Softimage.

Original render can be seen here (before client color corrected and time-remapped animation):

It is an alpha, but literally has NOT ONCE LET ME DOWN.
Really quite stunning, if you ask me, for any product, but for an Alpha?!?!

Truly amazing.

I very highly recommend Redshift for use in Softimage or Maya.
The devs are insanely responsive, and have never let more than a few minutes go by without loking into one of my posts on
the forum about issues.

I do not work for them, but it probably sounds like I do!
But alas, my words are just the words of a very satisfied user,
who will be a customer with a (happily) paid version shortly!

Perry

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 22 Nov 2013, 18:57

I'm getting the hang of that thing, too... it's truly amazing!! Poor man's Arnold?

It's fast, rock solid, tightly integrated, ambitiously developed, and it won't be expensive, either!
What more could you want...

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 22 Nov 2013, 20:05

Eugen wrote:Poor man's Arnold?
Poor man's? Maybe the opposite (in terms of performance) :)

This is a fantastic tool for freelancers, you can now compete with a render farm with just a couple graphics cards.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 22 Nov 2013, 20:32

We'll see if it can compete with Arnold in munchin' trillions of polygons... but that's other people's problems for now. ; )

Render market is getting quite competitious these days... good for us!

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 22 Nov 2013, 22:10

Eugen wrote:We'll see if it can compete with Arnold in munchin' trillions of polygons... but that's other people's problems for now. ; )

Render market is getting quite competitious these days... good for us!
you can render alot in redshift. i had a 23 billion poly rendering thru instances and alot air for more.
these arnold counts are a bit insane, especially when you start to optimize and use what you really need. but this would cost artist time and we 3d artists all know that is really bad.

Rork

Post by Rork » 23 Nov 2013, 13:59

these arnold counts are a bit insane, especially when you start to optimize and use what you really need.
Have you seen the WhiskeyTree reel lately?

I'm pretty sure they did some hefty optimizing, but still ended up with rendering billions of polys for Elysium....
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 23 Nov 2013, 15:15

Rork wrote:
these arnold counts are a bit insane, especially when you start to optimize and use what you really need.
Have you seen the WhiskeyTree reel lately?

I'm pretty sure they did some hefty optimizing, but still ended up with rendering billions of polys for Elysium....
its really common today to use the brute force way in all areas and let the (really, really big) renderfarm do the rest. it saves time not to think about such tings.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 23 Nov 2013, 15:30

'not thinking about such things' would mean going unbiased, you mean that? That's just too slow mostly, even on renderfarm. Although some render animations unbiased, it's uncommon.
Would you want to spend a small fortune on a farm, or save time/money in the end by going through optimization?
That's why Redshift is a biased renderer. It's targeted at small shops and freelancers as I understand, but of course there's no reason why it should not be usable for big productions.
We'll see.

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 23 Nov 2013, 17:39

My take on the whole biased/unbiased thing is this: If the biased solutions produce artifacts and instability, then the unbiased option is the better choice for animation. But if you could have a biased solution that actually does render things in a physically plausible way with minimal to no artifacting, and in far less time than straight Brute Force, then I'd prefer to have that. And RS offers BF-only as an option, so.... As far as GI accuracy is concerned, I really think that 'Physically Plausible' is more than sufficient, and gets it certainly close enough to real that the clients and viewers can't tell the difference, or even most lighting artists for that matter. I mean sure, if you had to A/B two frames, one with 3 bounces and one with 8, you'd notice a difference. But if you didn't have the 8-bounce version, the 3-bounce one would look the part and no one would be the wiser (not saying RS' 3-bounce limit needs to stay that way, just making a point about what really matters in the end).
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 23 Nov 2013, 20:25

The nice thing is that Redshift can easily do several methods, so you use what works best in your situation. It gives you the most flexibility and best performance. It seems there where a lot of "unbiased" GPU renderers because they were easier to make, not because the performance was better.

Redshift seems to be what MR should have been many years ago. I thought it was going to improve when Nvidia bought it but it didn't. Redshift has done what Nvidia should have done. Where MR took years to make a fix, the RS team literally deals with any issues within hours (or less).

I have little doubt that Redshift will become hugely popular. It just has the best of all worlds, well thought out, easy to use, seriously fast in real production, flexible, and stable. Just needs a full feature set (like volume rendering, hair etc.) to really take over. These features are not too far away I think. It made rendering fun again.

And no, I don't work for them either, even if it might sound like it :)

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 23 Nov 2013, 20:49

ActionArt wrote:I have little doubt that Redshift will become hugely popular.
No doubt! Especially after they enter the 3ds max market.
Fortunately, they are focusing on SI and Maya first... = ]

I really wonder what the competition's reactions will be... the comfy times are over soon.