Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Redshift Renderer 2.5Author: Redshift Rendering Inc.
Version 2.5.32 updated Oct 3rd 2017 / Redshift continues to support the Softimage plugin, posting updates almost weekly. Version 2 added many new features including volumetrics (OpenVDB), nested dielectrics, a new BRDFS response, new SSS models, light baking and a new PBR based redshift material.

From the company's website: Redshift is a powerful GPU-accelerated renderer, built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production rendering. Tailored to support creative individuals and studios of every size, Redshift offers a suite of powerful features and integrates with industry standard CG applications. Biased Rendering: Redshift has the features and uncompromising quality of a CPU renderer, but at GPU rendering speeds. Unlike other GPU renderers out there, Redshift is a biased renderer that allows the user to adjust the quality of individual techniques in order to get the best performance/quality balance for their production. Out-of-Core Architecture: Redshift's efficient memory management allows rendering of scenes containing hundreds of millions of polygons and TBs of texture data. Proxies and Instances: The user can export groups of objects and lights to Redshift Proxy files which can be easily referenced by other scenes. Proxies allow for powerful shader, matte and visibility flag overrides as often required in production. [..] Follow the product link to continue reading.

Pricing information: Price is $500 for a node-locked or $600 for a floating license (5 lic. minimum for floating). Both options include 1 year of maintenance. For other options, see the purchase page.

New plugins, tools etc.
Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 11:36

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Kzin » 24 Nov 2013, 12:48

Eugen wrote:'not thinking about such things' would mean going unbiased, you mean that? That's just too slow mostly, even on renderfarm. Although some render animations unbiased, it's uncommon.
Would you want to spend a small fortune on a farm, or save time/money in the end by going through optimization?
That's why Redshift is a biased renderer. It's targeted at small shops and freelancers as I understand, but of course there's no reason why it should not be usable for big productions.
We'll see.
it does not mean unbiased. you can do brute force in every renderer in terms of meshes, lights, shaders and textures without optimize things that would take alot of time. instead of this you have a big renderfarm and put the shot in and let it render 2 weeks. this is possible today because of the low hardware prices and the high power you get for it. when you look how big todays renderfarms are and that rendertime is not a factor anymore, then you know why they go this way. we reached a point for which less limitation making things impossible. particle simulation is one thing which would need much more counts then currently possible, but lights and geometry wise we can do alot of thing now. with a big farm you can do what you want without to cut down your shot in several layers to make it to render because it does not fit in ram, as an example.

and for the unbiased thing in general, its hard to define such term today because also the unbiased engines using alot of optimizations to converge faster. they filter out values which will not have a big influence in the final solution or filter them out because it would take alot of time to solve them. or they needs some tricks and hacks because its not possible to solve the problem in a different way today. with this definition in mind, it would be possible to code a unbiased production renderer, but i think it would make no sense because you would define a "end" of rendering from start to make it "fast".

Kzin
Posts: 432
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 11:36

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Kzin » 24 Nov 2013, 12:58

ActionArt wrote: Redshift seems to be what MR should have been many years ago. I thought it was going to improve when Nvidia bought it but it didn't. Redshift has done what Nvidia should have done. Where MR took years to make a fix, the RS team literally deals with any issues within hours (or less).
dont take mr as a benchmark for things like this. there factors here which others dont have and thankfully will never have, hopefully also not in the future. arnold is a good example, they did not go this way, same for vray.
and nvidia wants to sell hardware. because of this every redshift lic will be another customer for nvidia, long time wise. it's the same for vray users and it will be for mr in the future.

BenR
Posts: 92
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 20:52

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by BenR » 12 Dec 2013, 17:15

Redshift is now in open beta:

2 options:

Free:
Free with no obligations
Access the full version of Redshift without restrictions for 30 days
No limit on number of installs
Trial falls back to restricted mode (renders with watermark) after 30 days
Paid:
$100 per license (1 license = 1 machine)
Unrestricted license valid for the duration of the beta (minimum 60 days)
Includes premium support
Each beta license includes $100 credit towards Redshift version 1.0

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 4918
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 12:15

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Dec 2013, 17:53

This doesn't sound like an "open" beta to me. And more importantly: has the price for a license been publicly announced yet? If not, you wouldn't have a clue if you could afford it after the beta ends, even with the $100 credit.
;)

removed my edit...
...

perryharovas
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 22:45
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by perryharovas » 12 Dec 2013, 18:01

Yes, all the pricing has been announced.
All the pricing is available here (for registered forum users):

https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/1348/

What isn't "Open beta"-like about a free 30 license?
The developers fix things, usually the VERY SAME DAY.

When does that ever happen?

The development pace has been amazing.

luceric
Posts: 1202
Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 00:08

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by luceric » 12 Dec 2013, 20:08

Open Beta means that everyone can join, it's not per invitation. It doesn't mean anything else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_ ... losed_beta

User avatar
origin
Posts: 619
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 11:59
Location: warsaw

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by origin » 12 Dec 2013, 20:46

Is it still nvidia only?

El Burritoh
Posts: 151
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 19:56
Location: Tennessee

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by El Burritoh » 12 Dec 2013, 20:48

origin wrote:Is it still nvidia only?
It is for now.
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 4918
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 12:15

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Dec 2013, 11:19

luceric wrote:Open Beta means that everyone can join, it's not per invitation. It doesn't mean anything else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_ ... losed_beta
I would love to argue semantics all day and as an academically trained linguist I think I could do so convincingly, but for the sake of not derailing this thread I’m willing to yield to the ever-authoritative Wikipedia. Technically, if not necessarily semantically, you are obviously right. My beef, and a very small beef at that, BTW, was with the fact that the open beta consists of two tiers. That’s all folks. Nothing to see here, carry on , as they say… And as an aside: I am fully aware of the quality of the work and the dedication of the team over at Redshift, but that doesn’t mean I can’t nitpick or does it?
;)
...

User avatar
nburtnyk
Posts: 4
Joined: 13 Mar 2013, 01:38
Location: Newport Beach, California

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by nburtnyk » 19 Dec 2013, 00:50

Hey guys -

I just wanted to jump in to address the comments about the beta and whether it's technically open etc...

About 6 weeks ago, Redshift went from closed Alpha to closed Beta. We felt the software was stable and feature complete enough to shed the 'Alpha' tag, but we still wanted to keep our pool of users under control so that we could continue to provide a great support experience.

Last week we quietly launched open Beta. Registration is open to anyone: https://www.redshift3d.com/register
I believe this means that "Open Beta" is the appropriate term to use now.
We've yet to make an official announcement here and on other popular forums because we're so close to the holidays and we wanted to avoid a huge influx of users right when our support capabilities are reduced. An official announcement will be made in the new year.

Regarding the 2 tiers for the Beta - the reason we introduced the "paid beta" option was that we have a lot of users who are using Redshift on commercial projects and we wanted to provide a way for these users to continue using Redshift without any restrictions or worries about their licenses expiring and with the high level of support they've gotten used to during the closed Alpha. The paid beta basically lets you prepay for part of your version 1.0 license and get all the maintenance and support benefits that will come with a v1.0 license.

We could have of course simply offered the benefits of the paid beta for free to all, but this is simply not economically feasible for us and would likely affect our ability to maintain the current level of support, responsiveness and turnaround time for fixes/new features.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the free beta does not stop working after 30 days. It simply renders with a watermark. This should not be an issue for those who are evaluating Redshift to see if it fits their needs and performs to their expectations.

Regarding pricing beyond beta, as perryharovas mentioned, this information is available on our forums, though you do indeed need to register to see that post.

I you have any questions or comments (good or bad) about or software or the beta policy, please don't hesitate to send us an email.
https://www.redshift3d.com/contact

Best regards,

Nicolas

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 813
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 20:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Draise » 19 Dec 2013, 01:47

Great news Nicolas!

Once I get system upgrades and more Nividia cards, I'm definately gonna join you guys. I loved the experience in the alpha while I could with my dinky old card of mine, it beat anything else I was using.

Cheers! :ymparty: :ymparty:

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2419
Joined: 24 May 2012, 09:44

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Bullit » 22 Dec 2013, 02:26

Testing it, limited to outside arch scene/particle it super fast.

scaron
Posts: 119
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 05:16

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by scaron » 24 Dec 2013, 19:24

Rork wrote:
these arnold counts are a bit insane, especially when you start to optimize and use what you really need.
Have you seen the WhiskeyTree reel lately?

I'm pretty sure they did some hefty optimizing, but still ended up with rendering billions of polys for Elysium....
sorry for the OT on this redshift thread, but we rendered elysium using arnold and it was 'trillions' of polygons. this was mostly due to instancing... that athen's tech demo is actually OLDER than the work on elysium and using an older version of arnold with far less memory efficiency.

redshift looks very good, some of the render times and quality results i would have trouble matching in arnold. i am most definitely going to be trying the beta.

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 598
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 17:26

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by McNistor » 24 Dec 2013, 19:34

Looking forward to the day they support OpenCL as I'm currently looking to buy an AMD R9 290x card (waiting for the non-reference cards with better cooling).
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Leo
Posts: 128
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 17:06

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by Leo » 28 Dec 2013, 10:56

McNistor wrote:Looking forward to the day they support OpenCL as I'm currently looking to buy an AMD R9 290x card (waiting for the non-reference cards with better cooling).
Actually 290x doesn't really cap out due to the cooling very much unless you have a custom PCB.
They are built in a way which allows for higher clocks as long as the temperature stays within the limits, but even if you liquid-cool it, you only get a few percent more performance because while you do achieve much lower temperatures, the card can't draw enough power through the standard PCB, capping out its performance that way.
So when buying an aftermarket 290x, make sure that not only it has great cooling, but also a custom PCB capable of supplying more power to the card.
Right now, such a card hasn't been released, but usually asus comes out with one, so waiting is a good idea.

A 780TI is of course also a great choice.

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 598
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 17:26

Re: Announcing Redshift - Biased GPU Renderer

Post by McNistor » 30 Dec 2013, 01:32

Leo wrote:Actually 290x doesn't really cap out due to the cooling very much unless you have a custom PCB.
They are built in a way which allows for higher clocks as long as the temperature stays within the limits, but even if you liquid-cool it, you only get a few percent more performance because while you do achieve much lower temperatures, the card can't draw enough power through the standard PCB, capping out its performance that way.
So when buying an aftermarket 290x, make sure that not only it has great cooling, but also a custom PCB capable of supplying more power to the card.
Right now, such a card hasn't been released, but usually asus comes out with one, so waiting is a good idea.
Yeah, I know, that's why I'm waiting for aftermarket design cards.
Leo wrote:A 780TI is of course also a great choice.
I disagree. Nvidia cards are overpriced IMO - 1Gb VRAM less, less OpenGL performance for a whopping $200 more (in my area at least).
Sure, it has one or two advantages like PhysX (which is less and less relevant it seems) and obviously CUDA about which I'm looking forward to the day it will not be an advantage any more, like in Redshift case.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides