GEAR_mc

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

GEAR_mcAuthor: Miquel Campos
Miquel Campos of TD Survival fame is actively continuing development on Jeremie Passerin's popular modular rigging toolset for his personal work and his work at Shed Montreal. With the original GEAR no longer being in development, GEAR_mc can be viewed as GEAR 2.0 even though today it's officially still a project fork.

GEAR is an open source project to provide a complete and production quality toolset for rigging and animation inside Autodesk Softimage. It includes a lot of things to ease the rigging and animation workflows. Anyone should be able to build custom rigs using GEAR. It has been designed to be flexible and relatively easy to use. Even non-riggers can create advanced rigs and animate them easily, but the system is also open to further expansion so TDs can create their own »components« and use them inside of the GEAR Rigging System. Furthermore, everything is accessible through scripting with a complete API to automate as much as possible.

What's new
[in GEAR_mc]: New Menu re-arrange New Facial components New options for icon creator Selection sets and poseLib not part of Gear poseLib should work now in Linux (but not tested) Zipper tool for curves New solvers Wireframe color tool Guides support for store wireframe color New commands for inspect Guides PPG and solvers options Command for merge symmetry mapping templates.

Miquel demoing some of the additions to GEAR_mc: Installation / Icons / Zipper / Wireframe Colorizer / Solvers. Original GEAR Videos are available on Jeremie's blog and original GEAR page as well as on Jeremie's vimeo channel. Note this plugins includes the »Shed Tools« addon (below).

local backup: GEAR_mc-1.0.15.zip

New plugins, tools etc.
Draise

Re: GEAR_mc

Post by Draise » 03 Apr 2016, 17:50

MC_GEAR is backwards compatible yeah, the old rigs work the same - as far as my experience goes.

I found it wise to uninstall GEAR though, I had a conflict once.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 10 Oct 2016, 15:03

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to animate tails on custom build rigs? I thought animating "body_C0_ctl" would enough for the dynamic tail simulation?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 10 Oct 2016, 19:56

I've used this a few times for similar ends (or tails :p ),

There's a few things to setup which are covered in the clip, and are not bad after doing it once
which is great for secondary anim while retaining directability.

(see end-result from 3:40)

If it's what you're after, Look for "Strand Spring" on Rray

CYTE

Post by CYTE » 10 Oct 2016, 20:44

Or you could try mt_spring. it can also be found on rray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_XhNmN_C2g
its not ice but easy to setup animateble while springy(!) and rocksolid!
i use it allways for stuff like tails or tentacles..
cheers
CYTE

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 11 Oct 2016, 22:04

Indeed MTSprings is quite streamlined, and the wind/gravity controller is also pretty neat!

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 12 Oct 2016, 10:51

Thank you guys, I'll try both but for sure but mt_spring sounds awesome, wind/gravity controller is attractive:)