Getting Started with Fabric Engine

New plugins, tools etc.
Bullit

Getting Started with Fabric Engine

Post by Bullit » 26 Oct 2015, 19:26

First video i hope. They should have this out when FE2 was released.

EricTRocks

Re: Getting Started with Fabric Engine

Post by EricTRocks » 27 Oct 2015, 00:03

This is the first in a series. It is the aim to have 1 video and blog post per week.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Oct 2015, 11:58

While the effort is commendable, one tutorial per week still would seem to be rather slow... :!!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

anhungxadieu

Post by anhungxadieu » 27 Oct 2015, 14:46

Hirazi Blue wrote:While the effort is commendable, one tutorial per week still would seem to be rather slow... :!!
i think they are so busy. waiting ... keep waiting ... and waiting .. 3:-O

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 27 Oct 2015, 21:39

I don't know, but one tut per week doesn't seem all that slow, but if I am correct, I think the impatience can be more about seeing tutorials after a long while looking for easier access in general (referring to technical difficulty and not price of course)

Otherwise obviously these things take time, but hopefully the wait is not for 'the will' to make things more user friendly, because there has been such reluctance in the past if not also still today.

Yet having introduced nodes (no small feat) itself suggests that there is at least fair intent in making things more approachable, so perhaps a few more steps in the same way will make it's way, also perhaps for authoring to become easy enough to for a preset hub page to occur naturally.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 28 Oct 2015, 03:53

Rest assured this is an area Fabric is pushing on. Your voices are being heard. If you have any specific requests for what the videos should cover feel free to post on this thread.
Eric Thivierge

anhungxadieu

Post by anhungxadieu » 28 Oct 2015, 14:46

i hope to have a tutorial explain how to do the same thing like this in FE. i already have a full rig and i want to warp the geometry in to alembic and use this inside FE with FE renderer for faster playback.
https://vimeo.com/groups/fabric/videos/114272905

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 28 Oct 2015, 19:00

FXDude wrote:I don't know, but one tut per week doesn't seem all that slow...
Less than 4 minutes long tutorial a week is sllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww...

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 28 Oct 2015, 23:13

I asked for this type of tutorial in another thread and was told no!. But thank you for releasing this type of tutorial, simple but shows the process in a concise manner. The one question about this tutorial, is that it never mentioned the environment variables that have to be entered manually or perhaps I never set it up properly(after watching the tutorial, I know I set up it up somewhat differently) and had to manually enter the environment variables, does following the tutorial automatically set up the environment variables.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 28 Oct 2015, 23:32

Hey dirtydog,

Good point about that video. It does not cover setting the variables. I think that is a very good idea to cover this in one of the next videos. Noted.

As a quick response, the prompt.bat file that you double click sets the variables for you and opens the command prompt. If you right click on the prompt.bat file you can edit it (don't edit the default one, make a copy). It opens a text editor and you can change the variables to include custom paths. I'll be sure a video covers this.
Eric Thivierge

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 29 Oct 2015, 03:25

Any plans to also cover installation/setup of the DCC plugins?
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 29 Oct 2015, 03:27

Wait a day or so and see. :)
Eric Thivierge

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 29 Oct 2015, 03:41

Eric T, like a boss! :-bd
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 29 Oct 2015, 10:07

I think tutorials (when they start getting into the nuts and bolts) would be most helpful if they explain the actual concepts of 3D in an interesting way.

What really made me understand ICE was Thiago Costas tutorials, because it explained in a practical and down to earth way, what vectors are. What they can do, and subsequently, why they are the building blocks of 3d graphics.
Then starting very simply but with slowly increasing complexity, showed through example how to usefully manipulate them in ICE.

I am sure this kind of tutorial will hold the attention of the artist-TD in a much more enticing way than first showing the nuts and bolts of the canvas interface etc.

Most people have no clue even where to start, and learning the tool cold without understanding the concepts behind the tool tends to make people feel that they aren't part of the exclusive club and can reinforce the idea that they are artists not technicians.
It's important to teach both in parallel.

I tried with my tutorials to follow a similar pattern and have had quite a lot of feedback in the last few years that make me confident it's a very effective approach.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 29 Oct 2015, 13:35

Pooby wrote:I think tutorials (when they start getting into the nuts and bolts) would be most helpful if they explain the actual concepts of 3D in an interesting way.

What really made me understand ICE was Thiago Costas tutorials, because it explained in a practical and down to earth way, what vectors are. What they can do, and subsequently, why they are the building blocks of 3d graphics.
Then starting very simply but with slowly increasing complexity, showed through example how to usefully manipulate them in ICE.

I am sure this kind of tutorial will hold the attention of the artist-TD in a much more enticing way than first showing the nuts and bolts of the canvas interface etc.

Most people have no clue even where to start, and learning the tool cold without understanding the concepts behind the tool tends to make people feel that they aren't part of the exclusive club and can reinforce the idea that they are artists not technicians.

I tried with my tutorials to follow a similar pattern and have had quite a lot of feedback in the last few years that make me confident it's a very effective approach.

Man ... I can't wait when you start making your own FE tutorials. I really like and agree with your approach! :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 29 Oct 2015, 13:58

Pooby wrote: Most people have no clue even where to start, and learning the tool cold without understanding the concepts behind the tool tends to make people feel that they aren't part of the exclusive club and can reinforce the idea that they are artists not technicians.
Indeed... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!