Ideas and Synopsis

opentarget

Re: Ideas and Synopsis

Post by opentarget » 12 May 2010, 16:47

well it could be doable without dialogue...but could be nice to have some. maybe even it could be seen as a chance to use the new facerobot features in 2011?
well see if anyone else in the community has input into the dialogue argument and take it into account for draft_002

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 14 May 2010, 12:17

I don't think this story needs dialogue.

There are no story points in yours or my script that genuinely require dialogue to communicate them. In fact, I think dialogue can spoil animations and disconnect the viewer if it is bad, uninteresting or contributes little to the story point. I think there is a extra joy to be had by the viewer in decoding an animation without dialogue; interpreting the expressions etc, story in their own way. Its like the reverse of reading a book. Dialogue can be too "literal".

I hope Aminate will comment soon as he's the only non-organiser that's commented on this thread who's expressed a genuine interest in the project!

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 14 May 2010, 12:47

couldnt agree more that we can work it without dialogue.
draft_01 is a mash together of all the ideas both mine and redmotions.
draft_02 we can start to cut off the fat we dont need.

aminate

Post by aminate » 14 May 2010, 19:30

ok cool, I'm glad we all seem to be on the same page with the dialogue, or lack of dialogue I should say. (or not say ;) ) Ultimately, It felt like the dialogue was the driving force of the story, and kind of a cheap trick to presenting conflict. Incredible job on the script nonetheless!

Although I do think some grunts and groans here and there would be great.

I think with some solid story-boarding, and great character designs, it will be an awesome short.

any Character concept artists out there?

over and out

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 15 May 2010, 15:05

Might be a good idea to start a new thread when presenting the next draft of the script. Just to keep it somewhat organized... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 17 May 2010, 14:25

no problem, will do.
what about a thread for concept? i have started to whip up some rough designs to get the juices flowing.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 17 May 2010, 17:35

Feel free to open as many threads as you like (within reason, obviously) ;)
I just want to prevent this from becoming one extremely long and confusing single thread...

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 20 May 2010, 23:09

I'm up for going to various 2d art sites like deviant art to look for people who fancy doing some character designs based on it because I really don't think we can rely on people here alone to come up with them. We don't have to go with any one design exactly but they could serve as inspiration for the final assets.

PS: 2nd draft on the way, opentarget? ETA? (My version's been up for almost a month now - isn't this tinkering of the script just delaying the onset of the next stage? My momentum/enthusiasm is rapidly waning...)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 May 2010, 08:24

I'd say, anyone with time to rewrite the script should be able to give it a go...
(no offense to opentarget obviously)
And while I agree character design should be left to those who do this best,
I would first of all look for someone within our litter si-community (or the wider Softimage community as a whole) to attempt this task...
If that approach fails, "contracting" outside of our community obviously is a real possibility... ;)

Please don't lose that last bit of enthusiasm. :ympray:
We've come so far (this second time around) :-j

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 22 May 2010, 15:47

Yep the 2nd draft is coming soon, I was hopeing for a bit more input but I can keep going myself. Great idea about the concept sites. We should come up with the best way to approach the other forums so as not to make it seam we are threading on the toes of the site owners, but if its concept only I guess a colaberation shouldn't be to bad of an idea and actually a very good idea.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 May 2010, 17:18

I can't speak for the rest of our team (i.e. owei :D ), but IMHO approaching other forums isn't a problem at all, as long as it remains clear, that "our" CAP forum is intended as the main hub of all discussions...
That way, we also prevent a lot of separate threads on separate forums... ;)

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 22 May 2010, 23:34

Well that's great let's go for it and get the concept rolling, conceptart.org is a good one and deviantART also. I have a version 2 and a slightly shorter version 3 ready to upload and ill up them 2moro morning. Also I'm sure if we are happy with the direction the new versions are going then we can get moving on concept and pipeline issues so we can start to build up more interest in the project.

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 23 May 2010, 14:41

started a new thread CAP-Screenplay development. I made this to keep the screenplay work all together and keep it clean.

head over and have a look.

aminate

Post by aminate » 24 May 2010, 01:13

As for the Concept stuff. How cartoony/hyper-realistic are we going for here? I'd like to see it be dark and grungy but at the same time still have that nice soft CG cartoon feel to it. The mirror scene could make for a really neat closeup shot showing a ton of detail in his face and eyes.

I'm all for outsourcing the Character concepts. Not soo much for a render reference, but more for just overall design/shape/features of the characters. We can take care of nailing down the render style.

opentarget

Post by opentarget » 24 May 2010, 11:43

Agreed,I think we should work out our design/style ours elves here and have something usefully for the concept artists to work with. I always thought of it as toon style also, with realistic texture and shading, with very strong lighting.

aminate

Post by aminate » 24 May 2010, 21:17

So what are everyones strengths here?

I'm an animator obviously, am graduating animation mentor in 3 weeks, But I have a solid background in other areas as well. Modeling, Texturing (zbrush), rendering (MR or 3delight), and even though I'm not a hardcore programmer, I do have some rigging experience as well.

I think it might be beneficial to assign "supervisor" type roles for the project. Just to make sure the different stages are staying on track.

anyone have any ideas for that? or any other ways to go about it?