community ice projects

grahamef

Re: community ice projects

Post by grahamef » 04 Nov 2011, 18:00

Hirazi Blue wrote:I moved this thread to the new forum, as the discussing how to approach this seems to be still ongoing.
Why not take the same approach that Helge did with the ICE workshops on the old Softimage|Net site? That proved to be succesful. Just throw out a challenge and compare the different approaches. After that, you can cobble together bits of the best to make the final community version of the project.

Already covered: cobwebs, tank treads, rolling gate, bed of nails, chain mail

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 04 Nov 2011, 18:11

gustavoeb wrote:Don't think that is gonna start overnite, specially during weekdays... I intend to take a look and do some testing with that first building block as soon as I have some time to spare :)
That's great to hear :)
But I also meant the lack of ideas considering that the thread has around 300 views. Throwing out ideas is something anyone can do. Even though we kind of mentioned "motion graphics" as a possible area of interest, that's not exactly a precise feature description. You can't have a project if you don't have an outline of what it'll be about.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 04 Nov 2011, 18:25

true... more ideas would defenetly be of great benefit.

anyone?

important to notice that we are in a part of the forum that is not very popular, if anybody knows people that would be interested on such projects gotta spread the love
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Nov 2011, 19:48

@Chris_TC - Just so we don't misunderstand each other unnecessarily: I wasn't criticizing your idea or your compound. I just expressed my very own doubts if it really was a good way to start (and these doubts may or may not be justified, only time can tell).

@grahamef - That's what I proposed in response to gustavoeb's oiginal suggestion. Problem with that is finding someone willing and able to guide such threads to completion.

@all - At the moment traffic at the si-community is very slow/somewhat erratic. Don't let this deter you. Nay, take up the challenge to get some more activity going around here.

Someone with a decent idea should probably just open a new thread to see what happens...
In the end you're aren't even necessarily limited to one ICE project. Several could conceivable run in parallel.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 05 Nov 2011, 06:33

At a risk of leading the discussion in a completely wrong direction... The fact that the "community" itself is a little scattered doesn't help. The userbase is not big enough to have xsi-base, si-community, area, cgtalk, the list etc. all remaining active all the time. If it was more centralized, more people would take a notice more quickly.

But there's no helping that, so its only natural to expect things to move a little slow...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Nov 2011, 11:37

You're right, that's a completely different discussion. I only brought up the traffic to the si-community because at the moment we're experiencing somewhat of a slump in user activity, even by our own standards, but IMHO we shouldn't be deterred by that (sad) fact...
;)

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 06 Nov 2011, 13:26

After using the compound for a real worldish scenario, I have found a few things that would improve the workflow and be advantageous as more compounds are added.

On the Base, somebody asked for a DNA helix, and it was very simple to put together. However, some improvements I can think of:
-> Detach the Set Particle Data into its own compound
-> Specify a "Particle Type ID" attribute for every cloner compound
-> Together with the detached Set Particle Data, one could then control particle data per cloner without having to use separate ICE trees*
-> If the red compound problem can't be fixed, also detach the Geometry Array into its own cloner compound
-> Having a few more, but ultimately smaller compounds is probably preferrable anyway

*alternatively, one could specify the particle data in the Add Point node upon creation, but this does not allow users to later change particle data per cloner

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 07 Nov 2011, 12:31

To prevent this whole subforum from "going dodo" on us fast, I would urge one of you to just open the first project. If it doesn't work the way you/we planned there is plenty of time to discuss why and how to do it better before opening a second one... (you can treat it as a "beta test" for all the good stuff to come)
:!! ;)

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 08 Nov 2011, 02:54

done, those who want to contribute to the mograph stuff, here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1898

lets hope this and other ideas can get people excited... hope
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Dec 2011, 20:52

It might be time to start thinking about the next ICE project... ;)

rray

Post by rray » 06 Dec 2011, 21:06

A suggestion: Computing radiosity using ICE
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Dec 2011, 10:06

Well, I sincerely hope that the lack of response to rray's suggestion and/or the lack of other suggestions for new ICE projects doesn't mean that this subforum already has died and gone to forum-heaven...
:ympray:

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 12 Dec 2011, 22:28

I prefere to think people are just getting sucked by the big blackhole of time in December... I like Rrays suggestions, but I wonder about two things:

1. Would more basic challenges atract more people?
2. Should these compounds be more towards usefulnes or exeperimentalnes?
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 12 Dec 2011, 23:08

I think it would be nice to work on something everyone can use, something that's been requested a lot and not too difficult to start. I'm thinking modeling tools but that's just me. And yes, December is a busy time...maybe January when we're all broke and everything is frozen solid (here at least).

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Dec 2011, 20:18

gustavoeb wrote:I wonder about two things:

1. Would more basic challenges atract more people?
2. Should these compounds be more towards usefulnes or exeperimentalnes?
This is a difficult question. My personal answer would be to mix it up a little, alternate some basic challenge thread with some state-of-the-art experimentation thread or even run them in parallel. I think promoting what "we" are trying to do works best if we include some "basic" challenges. Once people get "sucked in" they'll hopefully open up to the more "esoteric" stuff... And this is not just about the knowledge/proficiency with the topic at hand, it's also about learning to enjoy community driven collaboration as such...
;)

PS The holidays are obviously NO excuse for inactivity.
Time not spent "on the job" should obviously primarily
be used to polish & further your skills...
:D

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 13 Dec 2011, 20:57

Hirazi Blue wrote:Once people get "sucked in" they'll hopefully open up to the more "esoteric" stuff...
Also think so, hope we can get more people excited about this!
ActionArt wrote:I'm thinking modeling tools but that's just me
That would be cool, maybe some people that have experience with other modeling tools, like max, modo, silo and so on can suggest some nice tools still missing in SI... Anybody?

OT: http://vimeo.com/33588786
This guy is funny...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs