Challenge: Make the fastest island selection compound

rray

Re: Challenge: Make the fastest island selection compound

Post by rray » 10 Nov 2012, 01:52

some compounds here I made recently, work reasonably fast, based of Guillaume's method, but simplified
#1: "Initialize Island Lookups"
#2: "Get Island Locations": per point, fetches array of locations of all island points for subsequent attribute lookups, requires Compound 1 executed

Don't know how much this is already covered in this thread, just needed some quick search&paste place to post this in :)
Attachments
island.zip
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

julian johnson

Post by julian johnson » 11 Nov 2012, 13:19

I never seemed to have any problems with Oleg's compound so I'm not sure this variant will work on other machines but in the attached scene I've used the same basic technique as Oleg (i.e. growing outwards from the initial vertices attached to the target poly) but tried to filter the search vertices so that you're not iterating over the same points. I set up a variant of the test scene with highly subdivided topology and my tree executes in about 1.75s and Oleg's in about 7.5s (on my machine).

http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/xsi/files/i ... nge_JJ.rar

Let me know if this a) works and b) if my timings are grossly wrong! On the surface it seems to do the job. The scene is 2013 SP1.

julian johnson

Post by julian johnson » 12 Nov 2012, 14:32

For completeness, just updated the scene to include a comparison of the two basic techniques a) iterating outwards as Oleg does and b) identifying all the polygon islands first and then deriving the island-to-be-actioned from the polygon index (similar to Reinhard's compounds above). The former is always about 30% quicker but the latter does give you the polygon island indices as a bonus.

http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/xsi/files/i ... island.rar