Softimage replacement, anyone

Discussions about migration to other software
Mathaeus

Re: Softimage replacement, anyone

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Jun 2015, 21:11

Nizar wrote:So your replace is Maya LT?
I think I'll wait for next round in spring for final decission - in meantime, Houdini Indie and 'papa Ton' :) There's soooo much things to try with H - didn't liked it that much at first, but, mix of universal values like math, logic, so close to this software, together with Mantra, somehow prevailed. Already have Modo for nice UV relax :)

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 12 Jun 2015, 00:02

Understood, unfortunately Houdini is, for me, out of the equation, modelling with it is for me a torture (but seems the last release have some improvement).
I'd like to learn Mantra, seems very good from what I see (but I'm a render incompetent). So at the moment stay with blender/zbrush/softimage, but Houdini Indie still a great idea

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 12 Jun 2015, 01:10

Mathaeus wrote:Me too :), have to admit. But, once people figure out how (even) LT is an complex software.... These days I'm trying it together with my former colleague, 'hard core Maxer', but conclusion is the same. Beside great performance and slick animation tools, all the rest won't go without, let's call it, 'adoration attitude', where I should be happy in advance, because I'm even able to use it. Something I'm able to remember, but impossible to explain to young people :), today. New nice interface design has an unwanted 'new shoes together with old suit' effect, I'm afraid, showing even more of 'complexity' (to say politely).
I hear you. But at the same time ... you see a LOT of investment in Maya lately that give you confidence that things will improve with time. I'm not so sure about that in 3ds Max anymore. Sure, they have MCG now, but there are other problems with Max (mainly UI and Performance) that hasn't been addressed in Max for years and in Maya were.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 12 Jun 2015, 21:33

MauricioPC wrote:
I hear you. But at the same time ... you see a LOT of investment in Maya lately that give you confidence that things will improve with time. I'm not so sure about that in 3ds Max anymore. Sure, they have MCG now, but there are other problems with Max (mainly UI and Performance) that hasn't been addressed in Max for years and in Maya were.
Well we already know how huge is Max community. A lot of developers out of AD have their interests too. So, if there's enough of unsatisfied users ( if... realy hard to know exactly), won't be surprise to see a real, new 3d app as replacement. But if this happen, most likely it will be a sort of 'archiviz only'. Also, community will divide into supporters of new option, and those who still believe into AD option.
Anyway back to reality, I was thinking and thinking :) these days. It's unbelievable, how important is '3d native language', the first one we learned. In my case, 'native 3d language' definitively is Max ( good old POV-Ray was quite different thing, not a standard 3d app), and, let's call it, 'operator centric' approach of this software. I used to use modifiers (operators) for everything, including modeling, really long time ago. 'Operator centric' could be: one place, from where I can do *everything* related to operator: inspect, edit, re order, disable or freeze ( yeah.. collapse). Later, XSI was an extension of concept, introducing features like multi - edit, explorer, render tree, so on. Extension, not really opposite to Max. More or less the same basic sentence is recognizable in C4d and Blender - so, personally, I really don't worry about the future. Houdini is more fluid thing, but, generally yes it fits - one node is king of everything related to node. Even more, H is somehow logical extension to Softimage ICE, just as XSI was extension to Max, as an general 3d app.

Now, Maya and Modo, by same way of understanding, seems to be more 'by task' or, 'by division of labor' structure. Maya really nicely collects the animatable parameters, including operator related, for use by animator ( which asks a bit of additional work in SI), also I'd believe it's easier for TD to lock out the rest. But, mentioned operator's options are dispersed through three or four windows. Something I still could understand as an advantage for Maya team, or just mimicking of Maya in Modo case.
But I'm afraid it could take ages for me, to speak the 'Maya language' enough fast to survive as generalist, faced by list of revisions that covers the all aspects of 3d an more (make it more beauty and so), all of that should be finished 'yesterday'. As more I know about this software, I see more of barriers to solve. Entire Maya idea for me, it looks a bit unrealistic. Also, after small investigation, I don't see that much of 'speakers of Maya language', where I am - hard to believe, but not significantly more than in SI times.

About maya LT, it's only my laziness (but this is a strong factor :) ) to build the new configuration, to fit in AD structure. So let's just wait and see what future have to offer, without taking the sides. I think it's great for everyone to spend a few weeks to examine the options, then to fill even better with everyday reality ( wow this one is deeeeeep :) )

By the way, there is no replacement of SI - if there is, would be used even before EOL....