Soon: Isotropix Clarisse?

News concerning 3D DCC business
Paulrus

Re: Soon: Isotropix Clarisse?

Post by Paulrus » 23 Dec 2012, 12:51

I downloaded the PLE as well. I haven't had a lot of time to work with it, but there's a few things I like and quite a few things I don't like.

It seems very fast for sure. But, I'm not sure what type of rendering it's actually doing. I attempted to create a Monte Carlo rendered scene and couldn't seem to figure out how to hook up an HDR for lighting. So, I can't compare it to Arnold really. If it's just doing raytracing without any GI bounces, then I don't think it's any faster/better than Arnold running without GI. The quality of the renders I was able to get were "meh". And, going through the samples they have on their site, I see a lot of stuff that is heavily comped & processed from within Clarisse, but nothing that looks like a straight-up Arnold or VRay render.

The concept is very cool, though. It's basically an object-oriented animation and rendering platform. So if you've got any background in OO programming, you'll understand it a lot better.

My main concern with the application is - it seems to trade render speed for the need to heavily post-process your work to make it look great. So all the speed you gain in rendering is lost when you have to set up a huge comp to "fix" everything.

I might have to buy the CMIVFX video and give it a proper test over the holiday.

If anyone can tell me how to set up a scene lit by an HDR, please post it! I'd like to really see how it compares to Arnold.

-Paul

Akurra

Re: Soon: Isotropix Clarisse?

Post by Akurra » 24 Dec 2012, 10:55

I read somewhere, that you just drag and drop the HDR map to the ambient ligt, or something similary stupidly simple.
Just downloaded PLE too, must try it out.

Oh, found it: http://www.isotropix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB