dwigfor

Re: Soon: Isotropix Clarisse?

Post by dwigfor » 09 Aug 2012, 16:22

That's what they told me.

Includes 2 rendernodes. Additional nodes = $1000

Paulrus

Post by Paulrus » 09 Aug 2012, 16:26

Did you get a chance to see their compositor?

The system looks very interesting, but if it only can do 3D and can't handle external footage, it's a little less interesting. Basically I could see it as a replacement for Nuke/Fusion, which would make the price a little easier to swallow.

Thanks for the info!

Paul

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Aug 2012, 16:48

And my interest in Clarisse has suddenly (and mysteriously) waned...
$3500 is "slightly" more than I was willing to spend as a poor hobbyist. :-h
Regardless, however: Thanks for the update, dwigfor!

Update: Facebook official announcement: $2995 (still too much for me)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

dwigfor

Post by dwigfor » 09 Aug 2012, 17:22

I didn't get a chance to see it in that great detail, hence wanting to see an onsite demo. I saw their booth just as I was leaving. I don't think it has particles in it and it can open Alembic but not FBX. I guess I assumed it could import external footage, didn't ask what other import formats it supported. To me, it looks like After Effects on steroids.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 09 Aug 2012, 17:29

but will evolve in a full featured software (with modelling and rigging/aniamtion tools)?

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 09 Aug 2012, 17:40

I dont even begin to understand what is this software going to be. :-??

Paulrus

Post by Paulrus » 09 Aug 2012, 20:14

My understanding is, it's a renderer and a compositor in one. So you can be tweaking all your passes while it's rendering, then go back and change things without having to rerender everything. It's basically like putting PRMan or Arnold inside of Nuke/Fusion/After Effects and giving you access to all the shaders, lights, and things like depth, AO, diffuse, etc.

It's a really cool concept, but if the implementation is bad, it won't matter.

Paul

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 09 Aug 2012, 20:16

Well from what i saw it handles bilions of geometries like cake, the amount of control it seems to give is crazy.
As people said, gotta have to wait to try it out but it seems really a nice software.

for people who didnt see this yet

curly

Post by curly » 23 Dec 2012, 10:52

You can download the personal learning edition from Clarisse. There is some training about it on CMIVFX. You defenitly need a fast machine with more cpu cores to work with it. I like the workflow though. The fact that you first do all your animation and simulation in your 3D application and then cache everything out, appeals to me. They are going to support Alembic in the full release version. I would like to see some Softimage hairy character animation with simulation alembic export to Clarisse. I would also like to some fluid simulation import into Clarisse. Looks promising.

Falam

Post by Falam » 23 Dec 2012, 12:26

Hirazi Blue wrote:And my interest in Clarisse has suddenly (and mysteriously) waned...
$3500 is "slightly" more than I was willing to spend as a poor hobbyist. :-h
Regardless, however: Thanks for the update, dwigfor!

Update: Facebook official announcement: $2995 (still too much for me)
When I emailed them and they told me the price, I thought oh well forget that :)

Paulrus

Post by Paulrus » 23 Dec 2012, 12:51

I downloaded the PLE as well. I haven't had a lot of time to work with it, but there's a few things I like and quite a few things I don't like.

It seems very fast for sure. But, I'm not sure what type of rendering it's actually doing. I attempted to create a Monte Carlo rendered scene and couldn't seem to figure out how to hook up an HDR for lighting. So, I can't compare it to Arnold really. If it's just doing raytracing without any GI bounces, then I don't think it's any faster/better than Arnold running without GI. The quality of the renders I was able to get were "meh". And, going through the samples they have on their site, I see a lot of stuff that is heavily comped & processed from within Clarisse, but nothing that looks like a straight-up Arnold or VRay render.

The concept is very cool, though. It's basically an object-oriented animation and rendering platform. So if you've got any background in OO programming, you'll understand it a lot better.

My main concern with the application is - it seems to trade render speed for the need to heavily post-process your work to make it look great. So all the speed you gain in rendering is lost when you have to set up a huge comp to "fix" everything.

I might have to buy the CMIVFX video and give it a proper test over the holiday.

If anyone can tell me how to set up a scene lit by an HDR, please post it! I'd like to really see how it compares to Arnold.

-Paul

Akurra

Post by Akurra » 24 Dec 2012, 10:55

I read somewhere, that you just drag and drop the HDR map to the ambient ligt, or something similary stupidly simple.
Just downloaded PLE too, must try it out.

Oh, found it: http://www.isotropix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB