Cinema 4D r.13 announced

News concerning 3D DCC business
Maximus

Cinema 4D r.13 announced

Post by Maximus » 01 Aug 2011, 20:11

and here is the chapter 13 of Maxon cinema 4D, pretty nice feature list..

http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview ... se-13.html

Mathaeus

Re: Cinema 4D r.13 announced

Post by Mathaeus » 01 Aug 2011, 23:49

btw just playing with C4d R12, have to say I'm very impressed with editable trajectories in viewport, as well as.... now I should stop because this is SI forum :)

cheers

Memag

Post by Memag » 02 Aug 2011, 00:42

Didn't Max have trajectories since...a long time now?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 02 Aug 2011, 02:21

Memag wrote:Didn't Max have trajectories since...a long time now?
not with bezier handles, editable in viewport (or just 'straitening' by RMB ) - so you still need to go into fCurve editor. At last from my first few hours (never played with C4d before...), in Cinema it seems to be possible to completely avoid fCurve editor, working directly in viewport, together with nice Maxy stile 'select and move' keys in timeline...

Hate to say this, but really is *unbelievable* how these options in XSI always been close-to usable-but-never-completely-usable and how many of these exist (for 'select and move' you need to go to dopeshit, timeline has different rules, then marked- keyable- marked keyable - keyable marked... so on...), and finally they were left to third-party developers - which in so many cases, means left to nobody...

I know the keying isn't everyday task for everyone, but for me is no1.

Of course I can't judge right now about Cinema, but for now it looks like something made by clear mind - where XSI looks like a compromise between many totally different demands...

now I really should shut up.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 02 Aug 2011, 03:06

Cinema is awesome, it has some things i would love to see in XSI, but its not gonna happen at all.
I always said that but people started to bashing me :D
Once you try Cinema you realize how lots of things could really be better especially after all this time..
It is packed for creative mind, and it has insane powerful tools, like Projection man for example, i want to see how you repro that in xsi without a massive pain in the butt!

Just a funny thing, in cinema, open a material, and drag an hdri into reflection slot, see how much time it takes to load that hdri, then do the same in xsi. Pick a heavy hdri, like a 20mb+.
That software is a jewel, really well written.
Its full of those amazing tools ready to use and productive.
Mathaeus why shut up? keep going, i'm interested in comparison between softwares, keep going pls.

Max

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Aug 2011, 08:58

Mathaeus wrote:now I should stop because this is SI forum :)
Within reason, don't stop, as this is obviously is a SI forum, but this also is a Cinema 4D thread, so any information how Cinema 4D holds up to Softimage could be interesting (it would certainly interest me).
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Rork

Post by Rork » 02 Aug 2011, 10:05

Still no proper passes rendering system, I'll pass... again... ;-)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Ramon

Post by Ramon » 02 Aug 2011, 11:23

Never try Cinema, Xpresso system powerful as well as ICE for particles and connecting to mesh? I saw some videos with render GI, is it realy sow fast and no flicking?
How about + and -

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 02 Aug 2011, 13:01

I don't like cinema modelling tools, and I don't see any news about in this release

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 03 Aug 2011, 00:19

pdesopo

Post by pdesopo » 03 Aug 2011, 01:19

A similar thread started on Blender forum.
Like I said on that forum, I'm not seeing really new features even thought the new render engine is a big improvement for C4D.

When it comes to modelling my choice is still Blender as C4D workflow is just a pain.
I still do use C4D as it's the easiest and probably the most powerful tool for motion graphic stuff. I think we can say that's really meant for designers.
Of course this doesn't come without limits. The easiness of MoGraph setup soon or later it's also its limit itself.

Obviously the perfect tool doesn't exist. If I could imagine for a second my ideal tool, this Frankenstein would turns into something like this: Blender, for the view port speed, gui, modelling workflow, cloth system and node compositing. Cinema 4D for MoGraph (and by MoGraph I mean also traditional stuff like Sweep Nurbs) and AE integration. SI for ICE and perhaps MR, even if it's too early for me to express my thought about the latter.

Just my 2 c.

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 03 Aug 2011, 12:13

pdesopo wrote:Blender, for the view port speed
Is it that fast? Have you done comparisons? Maybe you could add a comparison using this scene, I am quite curious:
Lightwave http://vimeo.com/25913111
Softimage http://vimeo.com/25913180

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 03 Aug 2011, 12:34

Blender viewport is not so fast and powerful like XSI one, but it more speed then Cinema and Modo viewport.
When it comes to modelling my choice is still Blender as C4D workflow is just a pain.
I'm not an experienced cinema user, but well know Blender (from 2.43), XSI is more fast then Blender and Cinema for modelling purpose (IMHO, is better then Modo)

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 03 Aug 2011, 12:47

What is fun is that everyone is spitting out new render engines, new gi system, new stuff regarding rendering, gpu etc, while mental images and mental ray still have that crap 15 years old GI system, and likely wont change :)

I found C4D an all round package, while Softimage is not all round anymore, that is the big difference for me, c4d has a lot of field with great tools, easy to use, new things, bodypaint, it has a lot of free scripts and addon that works flawlessy without a single problem, it simply works in a lot of fields, where the major difference with softimage is that the most advanced and fresh part is ICE, while the rest is kinda falling behind a lot, but i'm repeating myself.

if i had to restart with CG i would probably go with c4d or Modo :p

milanvasek

Post by milanvasek » 03 Aug 2011, 13:00

Maximus wrote:What is fun is that everyone is spitting out new render engines, new gi system, new stuff regarding rendering, gpu etc, while mental images and mental ray still have that crap 15 years old GI system, and likely wont change :)

I found C4D an all round package, while Softimage is not all round anymore, that is the big difference for me, c4d has a lot of field with great tools, easy to use, new things, bodypaint, it has a lot of free scripts and addon that works flawlessy without a single problem, it simply works in a lot of fields, where the major difference with softimage is that the most advanced and fresh part is ICE, while the rest is kinda falling behind a lot, but i'm repeating myself.

if i had to restart with CG i would probably go with c4d or Modo :p
I guess Vray for Softimage will make you happy :)
I personally use Arnold at work and 3delight at home, so I don't care about Mental Ray anymore.
Milan Vasek
ceramic artist & softimage fan
http://www.milanvasek.com

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 03 Aug 2011, 13:00

Maximus wrote:if i had to restart with CG i would probably go with c4d or Modo :p
Why restart? You seem to know your way around Cinema already, so a switch would be easy I'd think.

If I may draw an analogy. There is this grumpy man who doesn't like his retirement home. He has the ability to pick another one and go there, but he prefers to stay and rant about how much nicer the place next door is.