And for the UNBELIEVABLE news..

News concerning 3D DCC business
Letterbox

And for the UNBELIEVABLE news..

Post by Letterbox » 30 Jun 2009, 15:58

Hello...

Firstly, I should say thank you to my boss, Steven, because with out him, NONE of this would exist. He's been very patient with me getting this done, rather getting it right, than doing it rushed.

Just as important I have to say a HUGE thanks to AUTODESK, for helping and supporting Redi-Vivus. You've really impressed us with your time, your efforts, professionalism and your generosity. Thanks Guys.

Also there have been others that helped me do this MASSIVE job, many thanks, to all of you, and there is no such thing as a small contribution, every bit counted.

Right so whats the news...well I've been very busy learning python programming, bash scripting, flash, php, linux, progressive video technology, encoding, transcoding etc etc etc

Because ... On the Fourth of July weekend... Redi-Vivus gets RELOADED.

9 web pages, and 18 downloads

TO:
536 webs pages, online training spanning the equivalent of 15-dvd's - and if that wasn't enough - there will be 32-DVD's of downloadable training.

Details....

1) The complete set of Tips & Tricks Videos
2) The complete set of First Contact videos
3) The complete set of Misc Videos
4) The complete Softimage production series 5-dvd's all online, whatever country your in!
5) The complete Softimage Certified Instructor course (v6.x) 9-dvd's - BOTH - High and low bandwidth versions. For whatever bandwidth capability you have.

DOWNLOADS
1) The complete set of all 3dtutorial training 18-dvd's
2) The complete Softimage production series 5-dvd's - including all pdf and documentation
3) The complete Softimage Certified Instructor course (v6.x) 9-dvd's - including 1 dvd of sample scenes.

Written
with some links to some of the best written tutorials out there :-)

Happy Independence day ... From us. :-) (that's a dry British joke)

Cheers
Terry
http://www.LetterboxAnimationStudios.com

PS all numbers are approximate :-)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: And for the UNBELIEVABLE news..

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Jun 2009, 16:12

Wow!!! I already knew "something" was coming, but this really is almost unbelievable!!!
Looking forward to the 4th of July already...
Thanks!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

dbachmann

Post by dbachmann » 01 Jul 2009, 11:29

Wow, thanks for all your effort and bandwith. This ressource will be a good place for rookies and for others to get some self learned help.

Thank you!

alonzo

Post by alonzo » 01 Jul 2009, 20:04

yeah... thx... really appreciate your work... awesome :-bd
Nevercenter Silo / Blender / Autodesk Softimage ModTool

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 02 Jul 2009, 13:02

120 odd views - 3 replies ... that gentlemen is disappointment.

Cheers
Terry

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Jul 2009, 13:11

Well, those 3 replies summed up the tremendous feeling of joy of the whole community so perfectly,
no one felt the need to add any more... ;)
(and it's true, people might obviously post a little more in general!)

Deracus

Post by Deracus » 02 Jul 2009, 13:39

Sorry...didn´t said something about that allthough i read it with great joy..

so here it is:

Thank you! :)

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 02 Jul 2009, 13:49

Deracus, I'm not looking for "thank yous", but what I am looking for is that people value what we're doing, find it useful, find the material educational, etc etc,

As this IS about the only feedback i get to the whole redi thing.

That also includes what you'd like to see, as I'm pretty sure AD look at this too.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 02 Jul 2009, 14:02

oh jesus this is incredible...have to free disk spaces for 32 dvd lol!
thanks for your support, effort, and work you're putting for the entire community!
long life redi-vivus!

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 03 Jul 2009, 02:24

Letterbox wrote:...what I am looking for is that people value what we're doing, find it useful, find the material educational...
I would think that's a given...

I've seen the majority of those on the SI|Net forums back before Autodesk killed it but it would be nice to have them up again for stream viewing or downloadable for offline viewing, there are many broken links in other forums that I need to fix from referring others to some of the training on the old SI|Net.
I live in the US and I haven't been able to access the Vast learning movies in over a year, of course I would love to be able to view those again.

Your effort to make a central hub for all things training is very much appreciated by me and i'm sure the entire XSI community as well.
I just hope it will remain online longer than a year, I had high hopes for SI|Net back when they first set that site up with more information than one could handle and I thought we finally had a place that was secure and dependable but I should've known it was too good to be true.

Deracus

Post by Deracus » 03 Jul 2009, 09:14

Letterbox wrote:Deracus, I'm not looking for "thank yous", but what I am looking for is that people value what we're doing, find it useful, find the material educational, etc etc,

As this IS about the only feedback i get to the whole redi thing.

That also includes what you'd like to see, as I'm pretty sure AD look at this too.
Dont get me wrong on this one.
I am valuing what you are doing here and i am indeed glad, that someone is putting so much effort also in fixing mistakes, that AD did by simply shutting down SI|Net + you are putting your effort in offering way more content.
So the thankyou was my way to show that value.

What i would like to see more and more is everything BASIC about ICE...like converting simple mathematical driven things to ICE-Trees, more explaination on the ideas behind, as i have seen quite a lot of guys having trouble with converting their understanding of programming to the way ICE works...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Jul 2009, 09:37

While I agree, there should be more "ICE for dummies" (and I use the qualification "dummies" in an extremely broad sense and obviously this includes myself :D), I have high hopes for the series by Craig Slagel, they've started to upload to the Area.

Quoted from Jennifer Goldfinch @ the Mailing List:
Craig did a great job, and delivered 4.5 hours of ICE specific training. The first video in the series has already been posted to the AREA, and there will be many more to come, I think there are 40 in total.
(...)
There is more material, that was the first video. I wish more than one was posted at a time, so you could see how they progress, but they are coming.

The mandate for the training videos was to introduce ICE to people that have used 3D professionally, but might have never used XSI before. Some people on the list have seen the videos and might be able to comment further on the technical expertise behind them, but the feedback I received during the creation of them was quite positive. They were not created in a vacuum, they were created with the feedback from several Softimage power users.
;)

Direct linking to the Area is pointless, as the link gets intercepted by the logon-screen and then gets redirected here (at least last time I tried) =)), so you'll have to go to the tutorial section and find them yourself...

However, back on topic:
All that "old stuff" obviously still is extremely valuable. The "Production Series" was one of the best tutorial sets I saw so far. It was a shame VAST did its "Americans only"-trick and Softimage|NET only hosted part of the series themselves... :-??

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 03 Jul 2009, 11:51

AceMastermind wrote:
Letterbox wrote:...what I am looking for is that people value what we're doing, find it useful, find the material educational...
I would think that's a given...

I've seen the majority of those on the SI|Net forums back before Autodesk killed it but it would be nice to have them up again for stream viewing or downloadable for offline viewing, there are many broken links in other forums that I need to fix from referring others to some of the training on the old SI|Net.
I live in the US and I haven't been able to access the Vast learning movies in over a year, of course I would love to be able to view those again.

Your effort to make a central hub for all things training is very much appreciated by me and i'm sure the entire XSI community as well.
I just hope it will remain online longer than a year, I had high hopes for SI|Net back when they first set that site up with more information than one could handle and I thought we finally had a place that was secure and dependable but I should've known it was too good to be true.
You know your right, the SI net was a good place, I was hoping the area would have taken over where it left off, but in some ways the "community" has become more diluted, hopefully that will change again.

I'm surprised you can access the vast material, when I connect to our US server, I can get to their web page, but not if i do a direct connect not being in the US prevents that.

There is no reason why it Redi wont last longer than a year, it just the domain was up for renewal, and it was done with the others all at the same time.

Its good to hear that you appreciate those old but very very good (I wish everyone watch them) production series is useful.

As for your comment, about "its a given", actually I had very few emails about the whole Redi thing, and as time went on less and less, as I say I think like Matteus, that feedback IS important, just like a WIP section on here, as it lets you know that your doing the right thing, its what people want, and it works in a way you want it. And of course that you're learning from it.

And as I said on the base, that if you want more items on there someone specifically mentioned "Behaviour", that you should post that up here and email them, I sure Autodesk are looking at the comments here, and seeing what the response is, and they have been really great in saying yes to us to host this stuff. So I think that to a large degree what happens with Redi (as we have to have their permission) is in your (and the communities) hands.

I think Autodesk will probably see it that way too, no posts- no-one cares - lets not bother, people post and email them, I'm sure they will be responsive to that. Just look at what they have said yes to so far.

Cheers
Terry

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 03 Jul 2009, 19:23

Thanks a lot for this great contribution to the Softimage community!

I thought I knew all the XSI training material available, but I'd never heard of these certified instructor training course dvd's. What are they and how were they previously distributed?

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 03 Jul 2009, 23:06

IslandDreamer wrote:Thanks a lot for this great contribution to the Softimage community!

I thought I knew all the XSI training material available, but I'd never heard of these certified instructor training course dvd's. What are they and how were they previously distributed?
I believe it was for people who wanted (paid?) to become a certified softimage instructor. (but dont quote me on that :) )

A sort of teach the teachers dvd set.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 03 Jul 2009, 23:08

Hey,

it's NOT going to be up for this weekend, a technical glitch prevented it, just being to post here is trouble enough ! and its now 10pm gmt so i am calling it a day.

So I'll work over the weekend to get it up, so why not take the weekend off and have some fun, and have a great 4th july.

And you should see it on Monday... gliches and telco's willing.

Cheers
Terry