Softimage 2012 announced

News concerning 3D DCC business
ace63

Re: Softimage 2012

Post by ace63 » 07 Mar 2011, 14:48

So wouldn't it be the best thing to drop the whole old hair system since the simulation tools are close to unusable anyway and implement something from the ground up in ICE?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 11 Mar 2011, 15:51

There's been talk that Iray is useless in it's current state but here's an example of what it can do with some cloud computing, which is one of the main advantages and soon to be available to all.

http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2011 ... m=facebook

I'm a little ticked that it's not going to be included in 2012. Surely it can't be that hard to implement.

Maybe in the next SAP I hope.

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Mar 2011, 15:57

why did that simple static scene require cloud computing?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 11 Mar 2011, 18:57

luceric wrote:why did that simple static scene require cloud computing?
Did you play the video?

http://83.222.230.165/eurosport/smooth/default.html

It wasn't static.

Anyway, is there hope of getting this in the near future?

luceric

Post by luceric » 11 Mar 2011, 23:25

yeah I looked at the video, it's a fly through in a static scene. The smoke and shimmer are probably 2D effects. iRay doesn't even do motion blur. I'm not aware that getting iRay in Softimage would give you any cloud computing -- does that mean that you would still miss this 'main advantage'?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 12 Mar 2011, 01:36

I assumed, maybe wrongly, that if Iray was integrated/active in SI that one would be able to simply export a scene from SI designed for Iray to a cloud computing center and get your results back in a few minutes/hours instead of days. The benefits seem simple enough. Motion blur isn't always necessary.

It seemed like Iray would make a great addition to the render region tool where you could get quick previews while modeling. While modeling the object is likely simple enough to fit in GPU RAM.

It seemed that since Iray came with MR that it wouldn't be too involved to activate it in SI but these are all observations from the outside and I could be completely wrong.

I'd really like to hear what SI has planned for Iray if anything since SI seems committed to MR as the main renderer. I was surprised when it wasn't part of 2012, also considering that Iray will likely develop over time to be more useful.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 12 Mar 2011, 12:28

IMHO I really do not think that iRay, at this stage, is needed at all. Developers should concentrate efforts on more important stuff than Iray, at the moment.
- H -

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 12 Mar 2011, 16:25

SreckoM wrote:IMHO I really do not think that iRay, at this stage, is needed at all. Developers should concentrate efforts on more important stuff than Iray, at the moment.
As in what? More ICE things?

Rendering is an essential part of Computer Graphics, most of us get paid via the final output, and if you are stuck using a renderer that is quite old, while a "sister" product (3Ds Max) just got it integrated, well you just got shafted. I have been asking for iRay or a major update to Mental Ray, to at least be on par with other apps for a very long time, and guess what - nothing happens. It was stated earlier that Softimage's path of future development is based on what studios, with significant seats, need in their pipeline. Since most larger studios can afford Arnold, and are most likely using it, they will not be requesting development in the rendering area, and anyone who works for these companies usually have the same feeling. Well, that leaves small studios and freelancers at the mercy of the larger studios to see what gets implemented, even though our price per subscription seat is at the same as the larger companies....

@Action Art, I am in 100 percent agreement in your stance about iRay, but after asking for it forever, and seeing "rendering" as the number one demanded enhancement on the forums, and it still didn't get added to 2012 - which for sure I thought it was, I wouldn't hold your breath. I.E. It took us forever to get IES lights when Max had those since version 3Ds Max 6, yeah, that long ago...and I think to date that Softimage is the only app that doesn't have a "units" option...

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Mar 2011, 20:08

In a thread on the Mailing List on the subject of pmG's "Dare To Share" Messiah sale Luc-Eric Rousseau made a comment (seemingly unrelated to this current discussion, but bare with me):
Speaking of certain innovations in animation...
Not likely to happen under Autodesk, where that animation design is
made by a cross-product design team, but the continued work on
expanding the SDK and ICE will allow brilliant people like StudioNEST
to build innovative new workflows and tools.
(Quoted from here)
This statement seems to point in a quite definitive direction: Softimage will continue to push the SDK and ICE to enable third-party developers to add further features to the software, implying other areas won't be pushed quite as hard.
I sincerely think the days of Softimage as a "generalist" application are over. If that's necessarily a bad thing remains to seen. Maybe the days of true "generalist" applications are numbered anyhow. But for freelancers (and hobbyists like myself) this obviously poses a problem.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 12 Mar 2011, 22:18

What that comments really means is that in the softimage days, any dev like me could just decide to do whatever he wants and that becomes a feature in the product. In autodesk however, there is an actual design process where people who are specifically designers try to do things that makes sense and work across product. Imagine for example if we added stereo cameras to softimage but they would be done in a completely different way than maya: users would find that pretty stupid and ask why the team don't talk to each other. same thing for animation tools in general; if something is a good idea it should apply to multiple products.

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 12 Mar 2011, 23:27

I think Softimage is becoming ever more a generalists app. It covers all areas with a fast workflow and yet allowing great depth if needed.
I understand the frustration about the apparent lack of advances in mental ray, but then I have never used it to render in.
I think that maybe softimage is constricted by having to support this one 3rd party renderer. It's a shame it doesn't have a native solution.
I would love to see ICE further expanded to the point where users could build an 'open source' full renderer with it.
After all, if I can do this in a few hours, Making it up as I go along, it shows the potential of ICE in this area. http://www.vimeo.com/20652466

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 12 Mar 2011, 23:42

You know, the problem with Softimage rendering is not MR or lack of iRay..the problem is a stable solution to use, with proper features and constant updates.

The lack of tutorials is deeply annoying and makes learning Mental Ray insanely hard, since its one of the doomed engine that requires skill and optimization to be controlled.
I would love to know how many people know how to use all mental ray nodes, because honestly its not really that easy.
Sometimes i try to follow tutorials from other applications like maya and there are some stuff that are really impossible to achieve without someone telling you, wich brings us back to square 1, tutorials are really needed, proper documentation is really needed.

one example of deep frustration is just behind the corner here
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php? ... 0#lastPost
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=9207#p9207
i might be stupid but i cant find same parameters and stuff, i had to drop it by desperation..

Those to me are the main problems regarding this issue:

1) lack of coherence, feature wise regarding the same engine under the same company on 3 different applications, every 3d apply has its own version of Mental Ray implemented in a total different way, with exposed or unexposed stuff, with features or not features..
this is frustrating to say the least. You cant even try to learn from the other 3d package materials and tutorials because during your tutorial you hit a roadblock since you dont have that parameter you need to use.

2) lack of tutorials, and with this i dont mean Digital Tutors level tutorials, that is the same as going through F1 help, except you waste money. Tutorials are a boost to learning, there is a limit you can reach easily alone, but after that you are totally screwed, regarding Mental Ray especially.

3) lack of updates, saying this since years now, we dont have an engine supported, updated to the current status, with the latest features wich are made to improve your work of course, at mental images they work on their engine actually, but whats the point if then end users dont get the updates?

4) lack of alternatives due to small userbase wich leads to small request wich lead to few software houses interested into tossing and (wasting) money into making 3d party renderers available for softimage.

In the end, whats gonna sink Softimage is gonna be render engine if something doesnt come up quickly, and with quickly i mean quickly.
Most people i hear are interested in Softimage, in ICE, in Lagoa, in soft workflow, performance and many nice things, but at the question "yeah but how about render? it has Mr only? what version? how is it?" everyting goes to hell.

I pray everyday VRay comes out for softimage but thats not gonna happen, its in development since what 5 years?
After all i seriously dont understand how MR got so bad updated..but again..things arent goin to change so well...cant do much more than just writing on a forum.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Mar 2011, 09:12

Guess I will have to elaborate on my earlier post:
@luceric - you're obviously right, but the fact seems to remain that the pushing of ICE & the SDK as the two things where there isn't the need to decide new features together with the sibling Autodesk products means that the future for interesting new stuff lies with ICE & the SDK, not so much with the "other stuff" that needs to be decided in conjunction with the other apps. This doesn't necessarily spell the kind of trouble I foresaw in my earlier post for all the other features, but it doesn't look very promising either.

@pooby - my remark about "generalist" apps was only partly right. While it still will be possible to use Softimage (hopefully for quite some time) as a jack-of-all-trades "generalist" application, the impression I got over the last couple of years is, that there is an ever-growing tendency in software and especially Softimage to enable doing certain stuff in other applications, while developers are not developing them further themselves. (It looks like that's what ultimately will happen on the Mental Ray front: no need to develop it, if "everybody" uses Arnold anyway.) If a feature is missing/underdeveloped in your own application, you are reminded you can easily go to some other application (preferably of the same company) to get things done. Unless you are on a tight budget, obviously.
An interesting illustration of this way of thinking seems to be the way nobody has addressed the many problems XSI Hair has to deal with, while now there's an (understandable) tendency to point to the very good third-party alternatives, freeing the developers from the burden of fixing XSI Hair themselves or providing their own new solution (or buying one of the third-party alternatives, obviously.)

Don't get me wrong: I love ICE & will even give C++ a renewed shot to get to the all the new goodies in the SDK, but I really think that exciting new features shouldn't be almost limited to ICE & the SDK. And wouldn't it be nice to have some new animation feature Max & Maya don't have? Or a renderer that works?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 14 Mar 2011, 10:31

And wouldn't it be nice to have some new animation feature Max & Maya don't have? Or a renderer that works?
I hated the pedantic nature of Mental Ray and I felt it went against XSI's user friendly philosophy, but then, I came from Fprime, in LW, which had to be the easiest renderer out at the time. If on top of that Mental Ray doesnt work properly, then I can only imagine the frustration. Luckily for me, I never have to use it and hopefully, XSI rendering issues will sort themselves out in the next year or two with new alternatives and MR fixes.

As for the animation features. XSI is leaps and bounds ahead in all the animation-related areas I need it to be, (primarily, being able to use ICE to create creature deformations) so personally, I am satisfied at the moment.
My greatest hunger in XSI now is just more and more ICE abilities and believe me, I never thought I'd say that. I was firmly in the opposite camp this time last year. ICE enables you to make you be able to do whatever you want in the areas it covers, so any non ICE 'feature' seems like more of a backward step to me.
My take is, if you use XSI and you dont use ICE, then you're missing out big time and that discrepancy is only going to get worse. THats why I made the tutorials.

DoF

Post by DoF » 14 Mar 2011, 18:56

Vector Displacement Maps

* VDMs can represent directional displacements that do not simply follow the polygon normal
* Support for render VDMs in mental ray
* New Vector Displacement Map shader node

Crosswalk

FBX

* Stereo camera I/O
* Importing of Vector Displacement Maps from Mudbox
* Port to FBXSDK 2012
* Add "Import Fbx..." under "File->import" menu and "Export Fbx..." under "File->export" menu
* Scripting commands to create the import/export options
* Import .3ds, *.dxf, *obj, *.dae formats
* Ability to select target .fbx version (2010 (Motion Builder compatible), 2011, 2012)
* multi UV in the FBX Importer/Exporter.
* Support importing CgFX materials
* Support for neutral poses
* Support for user normals
* FBX One-Click Mudbox
o Materials : phong, lambert and blinn are supported.
o Textures : normal, displacement, vector displacement map, ambient, specular, shiny, incandescence, bump, reflectivity and diffuse are supported

Suites and Interop

* A new Suites mode for the FCurve Editor
* Single Step interop for Mudbox
* Single Step interop for 3ds Max
* Single Step interop for Maya - Updated
o You can now start in Softimage

-that is so sweet!
WOW!
A room with twenty trillion corners is a sphere.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 15 Mar 2011, 12:15

ok, I'll chip in abit here......

New Features
First a question, what is a new feature? I ask this because when you look at all three apps, they're already pretty full of every feature you can think of, what else is there?..really. Sure there's new tech and tools being done all the time, but they all generally fall under something that has already been done. What's new about them is the way user can use that feature. In the last few years, the term 'new feature' has started to mean something else to what it was originally labelled for.

Another question.....do you really know what ICE actually is? An odd question I know but if you do know what ICE is then you'll know that adding more ICE, and SDK work, to Softimage is by no means a bad thing, it's a great thing. If we are adding 'new features' or enhancing/replacing older ones, then it makes perfect sense to try and leverage as much of ICE as is possible. Unless there's a technical/logistical reason, why shouldn't we do that? It's also not limiting or restrictive, quite the opposite in fact.
Luc-Eric is right, you only have to see from tools like Momentum, whats if you want to add a new tool/feature into Softimage and you use ICE to do it.

Rendering
Mental Ray is by no means a bad renderer, it's very very good. People maybe be spitting their coffee out after reading that, but honestly it's true. However like any renderer, the more work you put into it, the better results you will get out of it.
Also many users point to us regarding Mental rays problems, but remember Autodesk don't make Mental ray, it's Mental Images. There's issues we can deal with and issues that we can't.

The other issue with rendering in general is that it can be made to look very easy, when in fact it's pretty hard. You do have to know what you're doing, and renderers like Vray are good are making things easy for the user so they can get a good result very quickly. Mental Ray can produce a just as good result, but need more love and attention, which to some industries is fine, to others perhaps not.

On the subject of iRay, I'd ask people do they really need it right now for something, or do they want it because Max has it and Soft/Maya doesn't. For me iRay is smething that suits some users more than others, depending on the work they do.
I see and talk to alot of Soft and Maya customers and though they see and wouldn't mind iRay, its not a deal breaker for them and they don't have any immediate use for it. For them, they have other priorities When it comes to Max and the amount of usage that package has in the Arch/Design-Viz sector iRay makes perfect sense.