GEAR 1.1 released

News concerning 3D DCC business
Pancho

Re: GEAR 1.1 released

Post by Pancho » 09 Dec 2013, 23:05

I'm running against a wall here. 4h of my evening gone. I simply can't get it to work. I have installed Python 3.3, restarted the PC several times. Nothing.

THe gear-mc menu is there, but as soon as I want to create the man rig I end up with the following error message.

Strange is: If I deactivate "use python installed with SI", then I can't choose Python any more as a scripting language, though it is installed. Strange.

Any help? I need to get this working by tomorrow ....

Cheers!!!

P.S.: This is with 2013 and 2014 (freshly installed)

gear_GuideTools
SetValue "Guide_Tools.templateList", "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\rig\component\_templates\man_guide.xml"
' ERROR : 2006 - Traceback (most recent call last):
' File "<Script Block 2>", line 422, in gear_GuideToolsUI_import_OnClicked
' model = rg.importFromXml(PPG.templateList.Value)
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\rig\guide.py", line 778, in importFromXml
' self.draw()
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\rig\guide.py", line 920, in draw
' obj = controler.create(self.controlers_org, name, XSIMath.CreateTransform(), ctlColor )
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\primitive.py", line 619, in create
' obj = cur.addCurve(parent, name, self.curves["cp"], self.curves["closed"][0], self.curves["degree"][0], t, color)
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\curve.py", line 105, in addCurve
' uti.setColor(curve, color)
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\utils.py", line 92, in setColor
' disp_prop.wirecolorr.Value = color[0]
' File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2013 SP1\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 538, in __setattr__
' self._oleobj_.Invoke(entry.dispid, 0, invoke_type, 0, value)
' COM Error: Unexpected failure. - [line 421 in C:\Users\Thomas\Documents\softimage\gear_mc\workgroup\Addons\gear\Application\Plugins\gear_riggingSystem.py]
' ERROR : Property Page Script Logic Error (Python ActiveX Scripting Engine)
' ERROR : [419]
' ERROR : [420] # import guide
' ERROR : >[421] rg = RigGuide()
' ERROR : [422] model = rg.importFromXml(PPG.templateList.Value)
' ERROR : [423]
' ERROR : [424] if parent is not None:
' ERROR : 2006 - Traceback (most recent call last):
' File "<Script Block 2>", line 422, in gear_GuideToolsUI_import_OnClicked
' model = rg.importFromXml(PPG.templateList.Value)
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\rig\guide.py", line 778, in importFromXml
' self.draw()
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\rig\guide.py", line 920, in draw
' obj = controler.create(self.controlers_org, name, XSIMath.CreateTransform(), ctlColor )
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\primitive.py", line 619, in create
' obj = cur.addCurve(parent, name, self.curves["cp"], self.curves["closed"][0], self.curves["degree"][0], t, color)
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\curve.py", line 105, in addCurve
' uti.setColor(curve, color)
' File "C:\pythonlibs\gear\xsi\utils.py", line 92, in setColor
' disp_prop.wirecolorr.Value = color[0]
' File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2013 SP1\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 538, in __setattr__
' self._oleobj_.Invoke(entry.dispid, 0, invoke_type, 0, value)
' COM Error: Unexpected failure.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 09 Dec 2013, 23:23

De-installed Python 33 and installed Python 27. It's the same. Error message, but no rig.

On another computer the original gear works with Python 33.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 10 Dec 2013, 00:39

P.S.: Does anything from the first Gear needs to be installed? Still no clue here ...

kcsaba

Post by kcsaba » 10 Dec 2013, 09:37

Try the modified gear mc, you don't have to install anything, just set the python path. Do some search on vimeo how to make it work. You will get it between td survivor's video.
csk

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 10 Dec 2013, 10:30

That's GEAR_MC I'm talking about. Did everything like explained in the video...

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 13 Dec 2013, 13:10

I did a clean install of Windows and SI. Still the Guide tools > Templates don't work. Components seem to work fine, but not the chicken, horse, man, etc. Can anybody confirm that?!

Cheers
Pancho

kcsaba

Post by kcsaba » 13 Dec 2013, 14:21

Ask Miguel Campos, about possible incompatibility issues! Jeremie 's gear templates might be not work properly with Miguel 's gear. Just an idea...
csk

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 13 Dec 2013, 15:40

O.k., trying to build a rig from scratch, though I run into cycle dependency errors with the legs. WTF.

Just to be sure. I only installed Gear_mc-1.0.15.

There is also a gear_mc-master in the download area. Contrary to the 1.0.15 version the directory includes a manifest, manifest.in and a setup.py file. Are these files needed in the 1.0.15 version, too? If so, why aren't they part of the 1.0.15 zip?

csaez

Post by csaez » 14 Dec 2013, 02:42

Those files are just a first step to ease packaging and distribution of gear_mc on future releases, ignore them for now :)

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 18 Dec 2013, 11:27

Thanks!

I managed to work with Gear in the meantime. One problem remains. Creating the rig is ultra slow. Biped rig takes about 12min transfering the guides into the rig. In the TD Survival video is takes seconds. My character is about 1.2 units tall. Don't know if that makes a difference.

This is on an i7 six core (3.5GHz ?) with 64gb, clean install. Python3.3 is installed.

Thanks for any tips!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Dec 2013, 11:58

Sorry, but I am confused: why should you want to install Python 3.3? I haven't tried to install Gear_mc myself, but from the Installation Video I gather it should work with the Python version installed with Softimage, which is - if I'm not mistaken - Python 2.7. Could part of your problems with this perhaps stem from the partial slight but still significant incompatibility of Python 3 with Python 2 code?
But then again: I haven't tried installing it myself...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

kcsaba

Post by kcsaba » 18 Dec 2013, 13:04

As far as I know Softimage doesn't support python 3.3! I think this is still the case.

"The “officially” supported versions of Python are the versions that ship with Softimage.
On Windows:
Python 2.6.4 & PyWin 212
We didn’t go with 2.7 because of a bug in PyWin 214.
You can use Python 2.7 if you have it installed on your system: just disable the internal Python in the scripting preferences.
Softimage won’t work with Python 3.x

On Linux:
Python 2.5
Softimage ships with Python 2.5 because we needed to compile [and distribute] the pywin32 module for a specific Python version on Linux.
Pancho wrote:Thanks!

I managed to work with Gear in the meantime. One problem remains. Creating the rig is ultra slow. Biped rig takes about 12min transfering the guides into the rig. In the TD Survival video is takes seconds. My character is about 1.2 units tall. Don't know if that makes a difference.

This is on an i7 six core (3.5GHz ?) with 64gb, clean install. Python3.3 is installed.

Thanks for any tips!
csk

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 18 Dec 2013, 13:39

Thanks! Probably that's the case. Not quite sure whether I installed 3.3 as I need it for LW or because I thought newest is also the best.

I'll try to de-install it and check whether this will make a difference.

Thanks!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Dec 2013, 13:48

@Pancho - Python 2 & Python 3 should AFAIK be able to coexist!

@kcsaba - Your info seems slightly outdated. For Softimage 2014 the following applies:
For Windows and Linux, the version that is installed with Softimage is Python v2.7.3.
The version of the pywin32 extensions for both Windows and Linux is v217.
(Quoted from here)

There have been some problems with the corresponding pywin32 version, so it might be best to install an "external" version 2.6.4 of Python, as explained by Chris Chia in the comments to this page(which I believe is the one you originally quoted)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

kcsaba

Post by kcsaba » 18 Dec 2013, 13:58

Thanks Hirazi! Good to know that!
Hirazi Blue wrote:@Pancho - Python 2 & Python 3 should AFAIK be able to coexist!

@kcsaba - Your info seems slightly outdated. For Softimage 2014 the following applies:
For Windows and Linux, the version that is installed with Softimage is Python v2.7.3.
The version of the pywin32 extensions for both Windows and Linux is v217.
(Quoted from here)

There have been some problems with the corresponding pywin32 version, so it might be best to install an "external" version 2.6.4 of Python, as explained by Chris Chia in the comments to this page(which I believe is the one you originally quoted)
csk