Siggraph 2011

News concerning 3D DCC business
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Aug 2011, 22:23

For those of you who haven't been able to watch Mark Schoennagel's Softimage presentation @ Siggraph and do not want to wait until it is being made available as a separate video, you can go to this webpage and scrub to about 3:08:00 (as this file is more than 6 hours long) and enjoy!
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 12 Aug 2011, 22:27

Well considering its a middle release i'm happy to see those improvement.
I also would love to see something render related but i guess that takes time and mental images is dead, so not AD fault :)
let's see what will come, im glad we have such talented people working on soft!

i also would like to thanks everyone developing soft, i know sometimes i get angry, it must be annoying to have people complain always to you guys!
keep up the great work!

now lets see when MR gets some developing from MI lol.
happy holidays! im off to the beach!
Max

luceric

Post by luceric » 13 Aug 2011, 07:53

Hirazi Blue wrote:Or to put it in (slightly more serious) words: there are some features that really appeal to me (the selection stuff mainly), but overall and especially after the inclusion of all them highly necessary model meshes, this SAP doesn't feel like a 2012.5 IMHO, more like a 2012.05. For some of the new features I have already been using user sitcripts/addons, so while it's nice they are included in the software now, I'm not terribly overwhelmed by them.
So it doesn't feel like 4 month of work, but something of a bug fix that should have taken a few hours? Btw except the one shot selection commands, none of this is really available as addons.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Aug 2011, 11:03

Always nice to be singled out for my opinion by you people... It's very much appreciated!
It's only strange, how other people's criticism doesn't get this special treatment...
:ymapplause:
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 13 Aug 2011, 13:24

And here is a sneak peak of Houdini 12. Personal sneaky comment: nice to see some 3d app shows even more ignorant approach to (out-of-the-box) rendering, than SI :). Bullet rulez, btw...

booyabase

Post by booyabase » 13 Aug 2011, 13:52

houdini has not only mantra, You can use all kinds of renderman and mental ray. and the renderman link is excellent.

Memag

Post by Memag » 13 Aug 2011, 13:55

Like 3delight/Softimage?

luceric

Post by luceric » 13 Aug 2011, 17:01

Just curious, what's ignorant about the rendering in houdini?

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 13 Aug 2011, 21:15

Just saw this posted on CGTalk, but I wanted to post this here as well.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/siggraph/ ... dering.pdf

http://www.nvidia.com/content/siggraph/ ... racing.pdf

Looks like some nice things coming for Mental Ray...

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 13 Aug 2011, 23:05

luceric wrote:Just curious, what's ignorant about the rendering in houdini?
Well I forgot this is international forum, sorry. In my native language 'ignorant person' means 'someone who intentionally don't take care'. More an attitude. ( And 'actually' means 'only for now':) ). Of course comment is just an impression, all my knowledge about Houdini is how to take Renderman shaders from Mantra from odForce forum, and to translate them to 3delight.

Impression is mainly about their promo movie, car in desert and not-so-believable smoke around car. Hardly to fit this into any category, honestly it looks like some game engine (with not so good 'sprites' :), not so good 'lightmaps' :) ). Let's say I am owner of about 20 people facility, and some of my guys wants me to buy Houdini, I really wouldn't be impressed with this. Whatever they want to show, whatever their app can do, for me, message is: 'we are making only the system tools, the rest is yours', where nobody actually knows, how long will take (and cost) this 'rest is yours'. Is it possible at all...

'more than *SI*', well this is about only one third party render engine in Softimage - against let's say, about four cloth simulators (about three created by SI team). For example, Max has exactly opposite ratio, one third party cloth simulator, about four render engines (if Lightscape is taken into account), two of them created by Max team. Maya is somewhere in between.

On another side, 'Simplicity to Complexity' and Duncan Brinsmead, this shows very well, best show these days, I think. Nice and attractive graphics, look like some scientific TV show (regardless of content). Message of type "a whole science is behind Maya, but still easy to understand, because is created by masters".

Still, all what I said is just an impression...

Zafar Iqbal

Post by Zafar Iqbal » 13 Aug 2011, 23:58

Good to see the modelling side getting some attention. I hope it's a kickstart for more in this area (curves among others).
- Zafar Iqbal

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 14 Aug 2011, 00:00

As an Autodesk person, this might look odd, defending a competitor like Houdini, but I like give credit where credit is due.... :)
....if you read the text in the preview page, it says that the teaser was produced by a small group of interns in just over a month. Personally I thought that was pretty damn good for a months work using Houdini. I don't mean that in a negative way, but its fair say that Houdini is not a package you can pick up easily quickly, but you once you get into it, its a great package and very powerful. I have a lot of respect for it.

As for rendering, mantra is pretty good and I believe there's direct support for PRman as well. Any rendering TD's I've spoken to that know Houdini, have spoken highly of it.

luceric

Post by luceric » 14 Aug 2011, 05:40

Mathaeus wrote:
luceric wrote:Just curious, what's ignorant about the rendering in houdini?
Impression is mainly about their promo movie, car in desert and not-so-believable smoke around car. Hardly to fit this into any category, honestly it looks like some game engine (with not so good 'sprites' :), not so good 'lightmaps' :) ). Let's say I am owner of about 20 people facility, and some of my guys wants me to buy Houdini, I really wouldn't be impressed with this.
I thought that teaser looked cheezy, so i ignored it as some sort of marketting thing. However, many users have complained to sidefx, on another forum im on. It's apparently done by students.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 14 Aug 2011, 20:59

They've slotted into the software in a way, that it's not obvious they are using ICE.
That is really nice indeed. ICE has the great advantage of not only making things easyer for the end-user, but for the development team as well. You guys can make good tools, and we can customize them. On a side note I feel like some of this ICE "operators" kind of lag a bit whenever you create them. This was something that even showed at Mark's demo, and he was like "come-on". It's no show stopper by any means, but if it would be something easy to get rid off it would feel as responsive as other parts of SI.
Using ICE doesn't always have to be about constantly building ICE trees.
That is very nice also! Sometimes you just don't need to know there is a tree going on behind that operator. In the PPG logic is a nice addition. It would be nice to have other tools so TDs can ICEtrees that are even less in need of artist tweeking. I have no pratical example of that really, but say something like access to cursor positions (so that edge cutting tool wouldn't need a null for example) or other relevant info for a dev... Anyways just a thought

Anyways sure everybodys hopes is always high, and since there was a lack of modeling improvements everybody had theyre own special wish. I think the improvements were well prioritized, but sure we want it ALL... as usual.

Good job guys!
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 15 Aug 2011, 15:59

Rez007 wrote:Just saw this posted on CGTalk, but I wanted to post this here as well.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/siggraph/ ... dering.pdf

http://www.nvidia.com/content/siggraph/ ... racing.pdf

Looks like some nice things coming for Mental Ray...
Thanks! That's the info I was looking for. I really like where there headed. Lots of great goals. Accelerating some functions of MR seems like the most common sense way to go at this point. Looks like AO will be first. I'm really hoping ray marching for volume rendering will be in there somewhere. For me AO takes a few minutes but volume rendering takes hours or even days. Some GPU help in that area would make a huge impact for me. I know they demoed some volume rendering a few times a couple years ago.

Just a shame the hardware has been around for 2 or 3 years already but the software is still a distant mirage.

At least it's nice to see Nvidia seems to have put a little new life into MR and they're going in the right direction.

Memag

Post by Memag » 15 Aug 2011, 20:05

Would it be possible to add/make tabs and groups (without text editor), while building the ICE operator PPG?
Thanks!